AR Newbie Registered Member

Newbie needs help!

I'm just starting towards becoming an audiophile. I have a great ear for quality and clarity but am new to this hobby. I recently inherited some amazing audio equipment from a family member. The receiver is the integrated Denon PMA-2000R. Sounds wonderful, but only 2 channels. The speakers are the real jewels. I got 2 Energy A3+2's, and 1 Energy AC-300. Also got a great Boston subwoofer. Here's my problem: I really want to get a surround sound system. I know the speakers are a good start, but I need a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and am not sure which one to get. Price is an issue and I don't want to spend too much $. For my surrounds I was thinking of getting Ascend Acoustics HTM-200's. Can anyone offer advice?

How much you looking to spend?

Lot's of nice AVR's out there for a decent price. Pioneer 1015 comes to mind for a little under $400. But that's just one example.

Think of your budget as a pie chart. Decide on your total budget, then allocate a portion to the receiver and another portion to the speakers, etc. you might need. Typically we advise people to dedicate a good chunk of the budget to speakers as they are going to contribute most significantly to the quality of sound you hear. You can get a solid receiver, as LJ suggest beginning at $400-600.

Suspended
    I know you said price is an issue but Cambridge Audio makes a nice HT receiver that does a good job for both music and movies. The sound I feel is a notch above the mass-market brands. They changed models not long ago and you can still find some of the old models new for around $500.00 or less. If that's out of your budget Denon I believe starts out at $199.00.

You might want to check into the Pioneer 7.1 systems.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

A word (or more) of advice...

Quote Originally Posted by bbodo
    ...I'm just starting towards becoming an audiophile...
    ...avoid it all costs...Audio enthusiast is OK, audiophile has the distinct possibility of morphing into audiophool...I used to be an audiophile, but now I know better...One of the earliest symptoms is using terms like: program material, inner details, mid-range bloom, etc.

Other problems begin to arise when you commit to the search for the audio version of the Holy Grail and begin accept the mythology behind it...

Signs run the gamut from using green markers on your CDs to spending thousands (yes, thousands) on interconnects and speaker wires...All that in spite of the fact that there is zero hard evidence to support nearly all such claims, which invariably rely on anecdotal accolades and word-of-mouth hooey.

Always keep in mind the law of diminishing returns and above all the phrase caveat emptor...let the buyer beware...

jimHJJ(...other than that, enjoy...good luck and good listening...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...avoid it all costs...Audio enthusiast is OK, audiophile has the distinct possibility of morphing into audiophool...I used to be an audiophile, but now I know better...One of the earliest symptoms is using terms like: program material, inner details, mid-range bloom, etc.

Other problems begin to arise when you commit to the search for the audio version of the Holy Grail and begin accept the mythology behind it...

Signs run the gamut from using green markers on your CDs to spending thousands (yes, thousands) on interconnects and speaker wires...All that in spite of the fact that there is zero hard evidence to support nearly all such claims, which invariably rely on anecdotal accolades and word-of-mouth hooey.

Always keep in mind the law of diminishing returns and above all the phrase caveat emptor...let the buyer beware...

jimHJJ(...other than that, enjoy...good luck and good listening...)
    Are you saying that I shouldn't order those ceramic lifters to keep my speaker wire from touching the floor? They're only a few hundred bucks. Why would I want my speaker wire touching the floor? Doesn't the dirt get into the wire somehow and muddy up the sound?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Things...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Are you saying that I shouldn't order those ceramic lifters to keep my speaker wire from touching the floor? They're only a few hundred bucks. Why would I want my speaker wire touching the floor? Doesn't the dirt get into the wire somehow and muddy up the sound?
    ...will only get muddy if they also get wet...and if they get wet I'd guess you may have bigger problems (at the very least an incontinent doggie perhaps) than those that may be audio related...Besides dirt and dust will only make things tend to sound dry and clinical...

jimHJJ(...at least that's my best anecdotal guess...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular
    I am new here but could not resist, in a past life I was the receiver in bankruptcy of an electrical contracting firm. While having work performed by one of the electircians he wrapped my cabbled in a product, which is aavilble at most electical supply houses, that is water tight, I do not remeber the name but it doesnt not require professional installation, collects the wires into one coil and protects them for relatively short money. Far cheaper than the tiles you are discussing. Please forgive the intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM7128@AOL.COM
    I am new here but could not resist, in a past life I was the receiver in bankruptcy of an electrical contracting firm. While having work performed by one of the electircians he wrapped my cabbled in a product, which is aavilble at most electical supply houses, that is water tight, I do not remeber the name but it doesnt not require professional installation, collects the wires into one coil and protects them for relatively short money. Far cheaper than the tiles you are discussing. Please forgive the intrusion.
    Hi, welcome to AR. Intrude away. We like it.
    By saying "in a past life" you mean "long ago, at another job" right? Right?

RL,

We do get flooding from time to time. Ever see what water does to a speaker cabnet made of partical board? Not good.

bbodo,

Sorry to have pulled your thread so far off coarse. Did you have a budget? There are many knowlegable members who can help you out here. But they'll need some numbers.

Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    in a past life means before I had to work about half a month just to pay alimony, and I have sole custody of the kids

Chuck

As I said...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    RL,We do get flooding from time to time. Ever see what water does to a speaker cabnet made of partical board? Not good.Mike
    ...bigger problems...

Re: wet speakers...are you familiar with the Canadian cereal product Wheatabix?

jimHJJ(...as they used to say at Weller, the soldering gun folks, keep your tip nuts tight and have a good weekend...)

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I should have been more specific. Here are me goals:
    1. I don't need anything more than a 5.1 system due to the size of my living room.
    2. I would like to stay at around < $300 for said receiver.
    3. I'm thinking about Harman Kardon, Onkyo, or Pioneer. Suggestions?
    4. Is it common for a 5.1 or 7.1 system to sound weak? My 2 channel Denon really packs a whallop, but when I sample surround sound systems they sound weak and distant. I don't feel like I should have to sacrifice this.
    5. And what do you guys think about my choice of speakers? Am I dilluted in thinking their high quality?
    Thanks.

have you though about denon?

they has some 5.1/6.1/7.1 receivers availible for under $300. my local audio/video shop has 2 for about $320 canadian dollars, that about...hmm, lets see about $285, which should fit ur budget nicely

That is a great price ! I will check into that.

here, I found a 7.1 receiver from denon for $299.99 usd, check it out, they make nice products http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2120.asp

Thread Information