Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.

I don't know anyone else who has taken HT as far as myself.
    I do. My wife's CEO (a millionaire many, many times over) has a home theatre setup that probably cost well upwards of a quarter of a million dollars. All of the equipment is ultra high-end stuff, and the 15' screen, and super-expensive projector have the sharpest image I've ever seen anywhere. The sound too is flat out awesome, and the room itself is about the size of a local gym, with theatre style lighting, very comfortable, black leather seats (which all recline) and a suitably sloped floor.

I guess I've also kind of answered my initial question in my first posting on this thread: yes, this system does sound better than mine, and it's in someone's home, and not in a retailer's showroom, or part of a trade show exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I do. My wife's CEO (a millionaire many, many times over) has a home theatre setup that probably cost well upwards of a quarter of a million dollars. All of the equipment is ultra high-end stuff, and the 15' screen, and super-expensive projector have the sharpest image I've ever seen anywhere. The sound too is flat out awesome, and the room itself is about the size of a local gym, with theatre style lighting, very comfortable, black leather seats (which all recline) and a suitably sloped floor.

I guess I've also kind of answered my initial question in my first posting on this thread: yes, this system does sound better than mine, and it's in someone's home, and not in a retailer's showroom, or part of a trade show exhibit.
    The owner of our company has a similar set up. I have never seen him use it. He claims that he likes his bedroom system better. I haven't seen that one.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Better...

...or different?...Louder? More "accurate"? More overwhelming in scope?

The never-ending question (s)...I've heard some, that on first exposure seem more engaging (for a lack of better words) in certain aspects...but, when all is said and done, I just gravitate to my rig.

I tend towards a timbral balance across the board...all of the audiopile concerns re: soundstage, etc. have little significance to me, since they are at best fleeting and quite dependent on the source material. My interest is the performance, the delivery system is secondary. As long as things sound even and balanced I'm happy...

jimHJJ(...since I have little time for what is termed "critical" listening, it could be mono for all I care...and it sometimes is...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Well, whatever I think about TAS and HP (most of it unprintable)
    Sorry to hear that. I'm biased the other way since I've known him for twenty five years. I think you would enjoy spending an evening listening with him. His laugh (more of a cackle) is quite infectious.

And forgive me, but I truly do think $60K for cables is a bit much. that's more than most people spend not on one car, but two!
    True, but you completely miss the point. TAS = The Absolute Sound. Not The Sensible Sound. They do the bang for your buck thing. The point is finding the closest approach to the reproduction of live music. Period.

HP is not a wealthy individual and drives a Chevrolet. He does, however, have access to sampling some of the best audio has to offer. He was among the first to loudly complain that first generation digital was horrible. Quite a few audio manufacturers have improved their products based upon his often harsh, but honest opinions.

rw

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have not heard a system around the cost of mine that sounds better, but I have installed systems that cost 5 times as much that certainly did sound better.

The problem with most of the systems I have heard that cost the same as mine, Wooch mentioned they were poorly setup and calibrated. I think when you pull together a system of decent quality, you should dedicate the space needed to get the optimum result of that investment. It seems that alot of folks like to talk about the price of the system, but do not enjoy setting it up properly.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The owner of our company has a similar set up. I have never seen him use it. He claims that he likes his bedroom system better. I haven't seen that one.
    If ever he brings you to his bedroom make sure it comes with a promotion

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    If ever he brings you to his bedroom make sure it comes with a promotion
    He claims that he likes to promote from within.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    No
    I say the same as you .Most of our friends are not into the wall to wall surround like me.They have larger TV but their speakers give me a bad headache after the night is over.We have lots of Patio Hops together and they look foward when its the time for our place or is it the booze

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    He claims that he likes to promote from within.
    Dont get me going,I could just picture you and your Boss jumping on the bed and he calls the shots.

Not yet, but soon...

My friend, who is a consummate gear geek, is picking up some Legacy Whispers any day now (his third set of speakers in the last year or so). I'm sure he'll being calling me as soon as they are locked in. That should be a treat as I haven't heard Legacys before but have heard and read a lot about them. His previous speakers, Energy Audissey 5+2's & Wharfedale Opus', were very good but not mind blowing.

My Uncle's Klipschorn/Hafler/DenonTT is a terrific system that is, in a lot of respects, more "fun" than mine. I wouldn't say it's necessarily better, but it's a party waiting to happen.

There are two systems in my area that I want to hear when can find the time. One is a local doctor that is famous (infamous?) for his custom made rig. When I say custom, I mean custom, as in every transducer, wire, cap, etc. are manufactured to his specification. The rumor is he has about $500K into it. Naturally, I want to hear this thing .

The other is a guy Wooch is familiar with that has an Infinity IRS rig along with some new Genesis toys as well. That should be pretty cool.

I barely have enough time to enjoy my own system so listening to other gear is twice as challenging. That said, I'm not naive enough to think that I have a world conquering rig. To be honest, I could care less one way or another. As long as it keeps my toes tapping and takes me away from the real world, even if but for a brief moment, it's all I need.
    Last edited by topspeed; 02-14-2006 at 03:32 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    My friend, who is a consummate gear geek, is picking up some Legacy Whispers any day now (his third set of speakers in the last year or so). I'm sure he'll being calling me as soon as they are locked in. That should be a treat as I haven't heard Legacys before but have heard and read a lot about them. His previous speakers, Energy Audissey 5+2's & Wharfedale Opus', were very good but not mind blowing.

My Uncle's Klipschorn/Hafler/DenonTT is a terrific system that is, in a lot of respects, more "fun" than mine. I wouldn't say it's necessarily better, but it's a party waiting to happen.

There are two systems in my area that I want to hear when can find the time. One is a local doctor that is famous (infamous?) for his custom made rig. When I say custom, I mean custom, as in every transducer, wire, cap, etc. are manufactured to his specification. The rumor is he has about $500K into it. Naturally, I wan't to hear this thing .

The other is a guy Wooch is familiar with that has an Infinity IRS rig along with some new Genesis toys as well. That should be pretty cool.

I barely have enough time to enjoy my own system so listening to other gear is twice as challenging. That said, I'm not naive enough to think that I have a world conquering rig. To be honest, I could care less one way or another. As long as it keeps my toes tapping and takes me away from the real world, even if but for a brief moment, it's all I need.
    I think the big mistake in this hobby is always linking more money with better sound. Very often more money provides worse sound. I have heard the Legacy Whisper and I don't think it's a lot different that your assessment of the others "good but not mind blowing." It seems to me that you are happier since you have not gone through three speakers in one year. And that is more telling than just the bucks being spent.

I would also suggest that with the K-Horn set-up that your uncle get rid of the Denon and the Hafler for an upgraded tube amp and a better turntable rig. The k-horn can be coloured and shouty as horns often are but sometimes they are telling you more about the front end and recording too and the prrof would be in the pudding of trying some other gear. Horns typically like tubes. Interestingly with the ruthlessness of horns it is interesting that the supposed (but untrue) tube shortcomings should be more on display with horns than most when in fact it is usually SS that takes the beating but the horn is blamed instead.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I had a neighbor who had a system with Snell Type A speakers and a Linn Sondek turntable. I do not remember the amps or preamp but I loved listening to his system. One day I went next door to his home to find the Snells were gone and Carver Amazing speakers in their place. The Carvers never worked in that room and the magic was gone. He sold the house and moved for a better room.

I have not heard a better system than my own at the same price level. I worked a while to find the best position for the speakers. I tweaked the speakers with felt for diffraction control. My turntable has been modded and a lot of time has been spent in cable selection. I have friends who enjoy listening to my stereo more than they do their own.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I think the big mistake in this hobby is always linking more money with better sound. Very often more money provides worse sound. I have heard the Legacy Whisper and I don't think it's a lot different that your assessment of the others "good but not mind blowing." It seems to me that you are happier since you have not gone through three speakers in one year. And that is more telling than just the bucks being spent.
    While I tend to agree with you, it's the guy's hobby and for him, switching gear in and out is part of the fun. Like I said, he's a gear geek and lives on audiogon. Who am I to tell him how to derive enjoyment? If this is what he wants to do with his disposable income, so be it. A lot of people would probably stone me if they knew how much I spend on cars and related doo-dads .
    I would also suggest that with the K-Horn set-up that your uncle get rid of the Denon and the Hafler for an upgraded tube amp and a better turntable rig.
    It's been years since I've heard that rig and for all I know, he has switched out his amp for tubes. To be fair, he's mod'd the hell out of that Hafler, but I understand your argument. Don't discount that Denon TT, either. Back in the day, Denon made a pretty serious direct drive TT that looked like a spaceship sitting on a wood plinth. I have no idea what kind of tone arm or cartridge he was using, but I can say that the Sheffield Labs LP's he put on sounded terrific.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Topspeed.

I'm sorry I am fully aware of the hobbyists who are more interested in the gear for the sake of gear than the music. Whatever floats folks' boats.

As for the K-horn it is not the least coloured speaker in the world but I just think it can be fixed up some. Classic "good" Horns are an interesting breed because while they do some "audiophile anal retentive" things wrong they also manage to do some other things SOOOO very much better that one is usually forced to make a choice. In some ways my Wharfedales (similar to the ones in this link but updated and greatly improved) http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/olde...fedalee70.html (you can see mine in my gallery) are similar in some respects to what the K-Horns are all about.

What I found in many "anal retentivie gear for the sake of gear" speakers is that the life had been sucked dry but check out that wonderful refinement (or overly polite no dynamics) kind of sound. To me the goal should be the best of both worlds - retain the audiophile aspects of refinment in resulotion (knowing where everything is on the stage where it is without muddying or becoming conjested while still being able to generate tight dynamics and giddyup of boldness with finess.

I think My complaint over the years with a great many speakers is that usually I am always forced to choose either one or the other. That's fine for a $900.00 Standmount but when the sticker gets to $5k and I still feel that way there are problems in Houston IMO.

Forum Regular

hmm

i'm fairly sure i've heard systems in homes better than my own, though i have not really listened to them that well because it was on occasions long ago enough that i didn't care much, and i think i was also generally drunk.

it is quite possible that my friends' denon/mk setup is better than my integra/paradigm theater, (though my 2 channel is probably better than that.) the father of another friend had a denon 5800/paradigm reference system that might top both of my systems (though my 2 channel would probably give it a run for the money.) as i said, however, i was not really listening critically enough at either place to tell.

nightflier

Some perspective is in order...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I have not heard a system around the cost of mine that sounds better, but I have installed systems that cost 5 times as much that certainly did sound better.

The problem with most of the systems I have heard that cost the same as mine, Wooch mentioned they were poorly setup and calibrated. I think when you pull together a system of decent quality, you should dedicate the space needed to get the optimum result of that investment. It seems that alot of folks like to talk about the price of the system, but do not enjoy setting it up properly.
    I hate to sound trite, but IMHO, it has a lot more to do with how much people have to spend on their gear. Here in SoCal, there is lots of money to go around and that pretty much sets the bar. And while setting up the gear correctly is important, most people here have a professional do this for them, which is also a money factor.

My friends are all much richer than I am, so yes, their systems sound better than mine. I have had a few successes (like the PS Audio monoblocks I just acquired), but it is always predicated on what I can find second-hand or, more often, on tweaks and work-arounds. For example, my Cat-5 based speaker cables are still some of the best anyone has heard and we still use them as the basis for testing other cables.

And contrary to what this may sound like, I'm not bitter about it, since I really enjoy trying to out-do the big brands with less expensive solutions. As everyone probably knows from my other posts, I try to do everything as cheaply as possible, not just because I don't have a lot of money to spend, but also because I want to live by those principles and teach my children the same. Another helpful factor is that my friends and I spread out the costs by swapping stuff out with each other's systems. This helps us all figure out what sounds best in our systems. When it's a better fit in someone else's, we work out a trade or a fair price. Over the years, I have acquired some very nice components this way.

But to all those who say they have never heard anything better than their systems, they are forgetting what got them into the hobby. At one time their systems must have been awful too. I for one, got into this hobby after years of using a Blaupunkt car stereo and speakers as my main system with loose wires running everywhere. I also made a ton of expensive mistakes in the past (Bose Wave Radio, Yamaha speakers, Sony receivers) and it was by hearing how bad my own gear was in comparison to others that I learned what good gear should sound like.

Another point that everyone is breezing over is that more and more "expensive" setups are becoming cluttered with gadgets and marginal capabilities than about the quality of the sound. This is of course because HT is so prevalent. All my friends are constanty showing off their Pronto remotes, multiple sound modes on their "9.1" surround systems, and the loading mechanism on outrageously priced CD players. Last year, everybody was trying to out-do each other with the size of their Plasma TV's.

This is why I am trying to bring things back to 2-channel with the group. Most of my friends are on board, but it is a cultural shift that will take some time to sink in, because they are still trying to better their neighbors and co-workers who only care about HT. Most of us now have two setups, one for HT and the other for 2-channel, and we are focussing our efforts on the latter.

Anyhow, it is my honest opinion that setting up a high-quality HT system is too complicated and expensive for regular folks. I can spend that energy better on my 2-channel system and allow my family to enjoy their movies in "acceptable" surround sound, rather than tweaking that setup ad-infinitum. As a case-in-point, I am also working on a high-quality SACD 5.1 setup, but that is a lot harder and expensive than I had originally expected.

Have I ever heard a system that's better than mine?

Mine upgrades constantly, I'm not rich but I keep slowly adding better pieces, I do this because I hear better stuff from time to time at shows, dealers or friends houses.

I don't know any audiophiles that are "Done". If most of you are like me you must be prompted to upgrade for some reason. Its not that I have this need to get rid of all that excess money that's just lying about the place.

Based on the lively trading on the internet many audiophiles must be like me, so most must believe a better system can be had. One problem I have is that as my system improves, my ears get more discriminatory and what was pretty good 2 years ago just doesn't make the grade today.

My stuff's not bad, all name brand (except a home brew passive pre, but even that has Shallco switches. Vishay resistors with Cardas silver wire and connectors - name brand I think). Still I dream of the money to buy exotic mono blocks and pre-amps that cost the price of a cheap new car.

In the long run, I guess I average an upgrade of some part of the system once a year (I'm counting cables, power conditioning, special feet as well as the main pieces.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information