AR Newbie Registered Member

Equipment Advice

I have a Yamaha RX-596 receiver attached to two Niles speaker controllers which then go to 4 pair of speakers in different rooms in the house. I also have a Yamaha RX-V420 Home Theater receiver that runs 5.1 surround sound in my den.

Although my components aren't that old, my electrician said they were kind of obsolete. He was throwing around terms like HDMI and others. He seemed to like Denon products. I also have been told that I can get something that will replace the two receivers with one that can operate music through the house and also the surround sound on different zones...I'd like to be able to have both going at the same time.

Any recommendations?

Yes, many receivers have multizone capability and can replace both your receivers. Denon and most other manufacturers make them. Just check their web sites and look at the features. But if your receivers are doing the job and your happy with them why change? As far as HDMI is concerned, this pertains to home theater use and is not a must have feature IMO.

Denon does make excellent products. I prefer the 3000 series receivers like the AVR 3806 over the 2000 series receivers. The power amps are totally different, but your talking $800-1500 for the AVR 3806 depending on where you find it online.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Me...

Quote Originally Posted by joewilly1
    I have a Yamaha RX-596 receiver attached to two Niles speaker controllers which then go to 4 pair of speakers in different rooms in the house. I also have a Yamaha RX-V420 Home Theater receiver that runs 5.1 surround sound in my den.

Although my components aren't that old, my electrician said they were kind of obsolete. He was throwing around terms like HDMI and others. He seemed to like Denon products. I also have been told that I can get something that will replace the two receivers with one that can operate music through the house and also the surround sound on different zones...I'd like to be able to have both going at the same time.

Any recommendations?
    ...personally, I'd tell Sparky to mind his own friggin' business, but that's just the kinda' guy I am...

Whatever you buy today is kinda' obsolete yesterday, so unless you have problems or a case of upgrade-itis, you have a fairly flexible arrangement as things stand...

That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it. You will have to do a bit of research with your needs in mind...You have a lot of speakers and you can run into impedance problems, or amplifier power problems that two separate units tend to eliminate...HT receivers with zone capability have trade-offs...Generally speaking (7.1 units notwithstanding), if you use the internal, semi-dedicated surround sound amplification channels for another zone, you'll no longer have surround at your HT spot and if you elect NOT to use those channels, you will need an outboard amplifier, and yada, yada, yada...so what have you gained?

jimHJJ(...in reality, zip, nada, squat...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Ditto! I didnt see that you wanted to run HT as well as zone 2 at the same time. Just buy a HT receiver and use your older receivers for other area's of the house.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll heed it and stick with what I have.

Thread Information