• 10-29-2004, 05:23 AM
    1Yankee
    Element dimensions/spacing on the Winegard HD6065P FM Antenna?
    Greetings guys. Question. I have a Winegard YA-1713 VHF Hi-band 100" yagi and a RS VU-190XR which i don't use and eventually wound up eating (antenna return policies swallow don't they?) and soon to be butchered/modded.(RS into the Winegard). I'm currently using the RS 15-2163 for my FM listening now, but I know Winegard nor any other antenna manufactuer would never disclose element diameter and spacing.(can you blame them?). I know that the HD6065P is very similar in size to it's cousin the 1713. I'm looking to Dremel out and trim the elements of the VU190XR and installing them on the WG. BTW i did a few keyword searches in Google under Yagi construction, 10 element FM Yagi, and a few other keywords and found a few helpful sites, but dimensions and spacing are not as detailed. Do you know of or think any yagi design software would go into further detail? I originally was going to send this message to TB, but i said what the heck. Thanks guys.
  • 10-29-2004, 08:04 AM
    FLZapped
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Yankee
    Greetings guys. Question. I have a Winegard YA-1713 VHF Hi-band 100" yagi and a RS VU-190XR which i don't use and eventually wound up eating (antenna return policies swallow don't they?) and soon to be butchered/modded.(RS into the Winegard). I'm currently using the RS 15-2163 for my FM listening now, but I know Winegard nor any other antenna manufactuer would never disclose element diameter and spacing.(can you blame them?). I know that the HD6065P is very similar in size to it's cousin the 1713. I'm looking to Dremel out and trim the elements of the VU190XR and installing them on the WG. BTW i did a few keyword searches in Google under Yagi construction, 10 element FM Yagi, and a few other keywords and found a few helpful sites, but dimensions and spacing are not as detailed. Do you know of or think any yagi design software would go into further detail? I originally was going to send this message to TB, but i said what the heck. Thanks guys.

Yagi antenna design is not straight forward. Element spacing, length, diameter, and taper all afffect the final outcome. Before entering into a design, you must first determine what is most important: Forward gain, front to back ratio, side lobe suppression, bandwidth, and so on, which is probably why you don't see much written about it.

-Bruce
  • 10-29-2004, 10:40 AM
    1Yankee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Yagi antenna design is not straight forward. Element spacing, length, diameter, and taper all afffect the final outcome. Before entering into a design, you must first determine what is most important: Forward gain, front to back ratio, side lobe suppression, bandwidth, and so on, which is probably why you don't see much written about it.

-Bruce

Thanks FLZapped. What happens if I said all of the above?