• 11-29-2009, 05:53 PM
    Ajani
    Effect of Local Pricing on Reviews???
    Maybe I suffer from a case of terminal stupidity, but every time I read another review of a North American Hi-Fi product (being sold for almost double its US Selling Price) in Europe, I expect to see it unequivocally bashed as being overpriced... Yet somehow that just doesn't happen...

Products from Krell, Revel (Performa and Ultima Lines), Martin Logan, Parasound and even Japanese Brands (Marantz and to a lesser extent Rotel) sell for substantially more in the UK...

For example, the Krell S300i sells for 2,500 USD in North America, but goes for a whopping 2,400 GBP in the UK... So in the US it is priced approximately the same as the Naim Nait XS, while in the UK it is priced to compete with the Supernait (2,450 USD and 4,450 USD respectively in the US)... In North America it is raved about in reviews... Over in the UK it is raved about in reviews... WTF??? Shouldn't the fact that it is severely overpriced, cause it to fumble when compared to the local competition???

Revel's Performa M22 retails for about 1,700 GBP in the UK (same price as the Monitor Audio GS20)... while in the US it goes for 2,000 USD, whereas the GS20 goes for 3,200 USD... WHAT???

Is Hi-Fi pricing so damned arbitrary at certain levels, that a product could sell for double its retail price and still be competitive???
  • 11-30-2009, 06:01 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani
    Maybe I suffer from a case of terminal stupidity, but every time I read another review of a North American Hi-Fi product (being sold for almost double its US Selling Price) in Europe, I expect to see it unequivocally bashed as being overpriced... Yet somehow that just doesn't happen...

... ???

Hummm ... in Canada, Japanese and other Asia-made equipment (-- including Canadian and British brands --) sells for USD + exchange + a small premium in some cases.

On the other hand, US-made equipment ranges from USD + exchange to 2x USD. The big thing factor has always been the Canadian distributor. I have always had the strong impression that Canadian buyers get a better deal where the US maker self-distributes in Canada; where an independant Canadian multi-line distributor is involved, the latter expects to earn a big premium over the US price.
  • 11-30-2009, 06:18 AM
    kexodusc
    I used to travel across Canada and the northern US a lot for work until a year ago - I've observed some pretty stupid pricings on both sides of the border. My info is a bit dated so I'm not sure what the prices are today but I recall seeing Harman Kardon anything be sold for double the cost in Canada after currency conversion...I just did a quick check on MSRP for one lower end A/V receiver...$200 higher in Canada, when a fair price might be a $50 difference. The more expensive the gear, the greater the gouge.

They can't be doing themselves any favors with this...

I also remember seeing some Canadian built speakers carry the same price tag in USD as they are sold domestically..Paradigm/Anthem, PSB, and Focus Audio come to mind.
    THis isn't such a big deal now, but I remember when the Canadian dollar converted to .78 USD it was very substantial...

Arcam is another that seemed to be terribly over priced in Canada a few years ago...in many cases it was cheaper for me to import from another country, pay shipping, taxes, duty, etc, and still save hundreds.

I'm guessing this isn't unique to the audio industry, so it pays to shop...
  • 11-30-2009, 08:42 AM
    Ajani
    I know that prices vary from country to country... sometimes it has to do with import duties, other times whether the dealer gets a proper price from their supplier, etc...

My issue is that I would expect products that overpriced (for whatever reason) to not hold up against appropriately priced gear at the same price point...

So, if NAD decided to Charge 3,000 USD for the NAD C315BEE (instead of 350 USD) I would expect Stereophile, TAS, Soundstage, etc to expose that the NAD under performs compared to the competition (Krell, Simaudio, Musical Fidelity, Creek etc) at the Price point...

To use an example outside of Audio... Honda should not be able to double the price of the Civic and just sell it as competition for entry level BMW, Mercedes and Lexus Cars, and still win awards as being a great buy... I would expect the reviewers to note that it is woefully deficient for the price...
  • 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM
    mlsstl
    Don't forget that import duties and other taxes are a big factor in the selling price of equipment in other countries. Exchange rates between currencies are also a complicating factor.

Of course, "imported goods" will have a certain cachet that appeals to a segment of any market. While we often like to pretend that audible performance is the only issue we think about when auditioning equipment, the vast majority of buyers are also influenced by appearance, brand name, features, exclusivity and so on. For some buyers, a high price by itself even adds to that sense of exclusivity.

Only the end consumer can determine if a particular product is worth the asking price. The fact that the brands you mention are still being imported to the UK would suggest that at least some buyers are finding them attractive at those selling prices.
  • 11-30-2009, 09:03 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mlsstl
    Don't forget that import duties and other taxes are a big factor in the selling price of equipment in other countries. Exchange rates between currencies are also a complicating factor.

Of course, "imported goods" will have a certain cachet that appeals to a segment of any market. While we often like to pretend that audible performance is the only issue we think about when auditioning equipment, the vast majority of buyers are also influenced by appearance, brand name, features, exclusivity and so on. For some buyers, a high price by itself even adds to that sense of exclusivity.

Only the end consumer can determine if a particular product is worth the asking price. The fact that the brands you mention are still being imported to the UK would suggest that at least some buyers are finding them attractive at those selling prices.

All Good Points... and I agree with them... but consumers being willing to pay the premium for exclusivity etc... should not be the same case as reviewers... Maybe I'm expecting too much here, but I would expect the professionals not to be as easily swayed by those factors... I'd expect some kind of acknowledgement of sonic value and features for money...

As a consumer, if I had $2.5K to spend on an Integrated Amp, then the Krell S300i would be top of my list... Partially because of sound, but also because it is a KRELL, the name is legendary and as a Consumer I'd want to be able to discover what all the fuss is about, and let's be real here; it is also an Audiophile Status symbol... However a reviewer should rate its performance based primarily on sound (and can always mention as a side note that the product makes Krell more accessible to less affluent customers)...
  • 11-30-2009, 09:08 AM
    frenchmon
    I assume product has to meet a certain standard for a particular classification. I assume how much a product cost is not the factored in product classification and competition.

frenchmon
  • 11-30-2009, 10:15 AM
    audio amateur
    I understand what your saying Ajani. But the thing is, sound is very subjective so whether an amp or speaker is over priced in another country still makes it competitive, because the differences in sound may be very slight (despite a possible massive selling price difference). Unless of course one is clearly better made than the other and you can compare the build of the units, then it is objective.

It's funny because the US seems to win in most cases. I have noticed that UK gear prices in the US are almost the same (exchange rate speaking), but in the UK, US gear is sold at a premium. An example of this is Magnepan, a pair of MG12s are sold... gosh it used to be about 1 to 1 and I've checked again they seem to have upped the price they are selling for 1750 GBP online!! In the US they are only 1200USD! (excluding VAT)

But then again this may be an extreme example as Magnepan has virtually no dealers here.
  • 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I understand what your saying Ajani. But the thing is, sound is very subjective so whether an amp or speaker is over priced in another country still makes it competitive, because the differences in sound may be very slight (despite a possible massive selling price difference). Unless of course one is clearly better made than the other and you can compare the build of the units, then it is objective.

That's what I suspect, but that pretty much implies what many non-audiophiles claim "that our hobby is a scam"... Since, if the differences in sound quality are so slight that you can double the price of a product, and experts wouldn't even notice the 'inferior' sound quality... then that's truly sad and means that we are really just paying for build quality and bragging rights, rather than sonics...

Despite what some audiophiles claim, I believe that we pay for all 3, but I would still expect sound quality to count very highly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    It's funny because the US seems to win in most cases. I have noticed that UK gear prices in the US are almost the same (exchange rate speaking), but in the UK, US gear is sold at a premium. An example of this is Magnepan, a pair of MG12s are sold... gosh it used to be about 1 to 1 and I've checked again they seem to have upped the price they are selling for 1750 GBP online!! In the US they are only 1200USD! (excluding VAT)

But then again this may be an extreme example as Magnepan has virtually no dealers here.

I think I'd have a hard time moving to Europe, based on Hi-Fi Prices.... even some of the UK brands sell for less in the US than in the UK!!! Musical Fidelity did that with their X-Series V3 components and now again with the M6 line... The M6i Integrated Amp sells for $3,000 USD stateside, but 2,500 GBP in the UK...
  • 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
    mlsstl
    Quote:

Ajani wrote: "...but consumers being willing to pay the premium for exclusivity etc... should not be the same case as reviewers..."
    Hate to engage in speculation, but rumor has it that reviewers are still human.

A fair percentage of the reviews I've read over the years seem to confirm that....

;-)
  • 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

That's what I suspect, but that pretty much implies what many non-audiophiles claim "that our hobby is a scam"... Since, if the differences in sound quality are so slight that you can double the price of a product, and experts wouldn't even notice the 'inferior' sound quality... then that's truly sad and means that we are really just paying for build quality and bragging rights, rather than sonics...

That's exactly right. Whether it is true or not is a different story. Personally, I'm far from a convert. I've heard 20K speakers and then thought... 20K for that?! I'd be just as happy with my 686. I find it a bit disgusting to be honest...You really do wonder if it is a scam or not.
    I haven't hear enough systems to really have an opinion but I'm still hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel. In the mean time I am making the most of affordable gear.
    Quote:

Despite what some audiophiles claim, I believe that we pay for all 3, but I would still expect sound quality to count very highly...

I would too, but is it really the case?
    Quote:

I think I'd have a hard time moving to Europe, based on Hi-Fi Prices...

It's definitely easier to be an audiophile in the US, but I wouldn't go as far as to come to that conclusion. I do just fine:)
  • 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Hate to engage in speculation, but rumor has it that reviewers are still human.

A fair percentage of the reviews I've read over the years seem to confirm that....

;-)

Of course reviewers are human... but as an expert, more is expected of them, than the average joe... if not, then WTF is the point of reading a review??? There is no requirement for a reviewer to be infallible... but I'd expect them to be able to identify sonic differences more readily than the average hobbyist... While you or I might easily be taken by low quality sound in a pretty, shiny package... I'd expect most of the experts to be able to tell that the product sounds sub par...

A Car reviewer should be able to tell the difference in performance between a Corvette and a Hyundai with a tricked out body kit... An Audio Reviewer should be able to tell the sonic difference between a Conrad Johnson and an entry level NAD in a blinged out chassis.

But let's use an example more directly relevant to my initial post:

The Absolute Sound reviewed both the Rotel RA-1520 ($1K) and the Krell S300i ($2.5K) this year... both received good reviews... If the exact same Rotel was being sold for $2K (making it price comparable, competition for the Krell) would you expect it to still receive as good a review as it did at $1K? In fact, would you still expect it to receive a good review at all? (Keep in mind that the Rotel looks as good as any $2K amp out there, so build quality will not let it down)....
  • 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

The Absolute Sound reviewed both the Rotel RA-1520 ($1K) and the Krell S300i ($2.5K) this year... both received good reviews... If the exact same Rotel was being sold for $2K (making it price comparable, competition for the Krell) would you expect it to still receive as good a review as it did at $1K? In fact, would you still expect it to receive a good review at all? (Keep in mind that the Rotel looks as good as any $2K amp out there, so build quality will not let it down)....

Only if it performs like a $2k amp. But at $1k i'm sure it got a $1k review. I've read many a review when the reviewer compared the lesser gear to a more expensive item he had on hand, and gave a report where the lesser gear was coming up short while still giving the gear a good report for its price range.

frenchmon
  • 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

So, if NAD decided to Charge 3,000 USD for the NAD C315BEE (instead of 350 USD) I would expect Stereophile, TAS, Soundstage, etc to expose that the NAD under performs compared to the competition (Krell, Simaudio, Musical Fidelity, Creek etc) at the Price point...
    Yeah I doubt that will ever happen. Magazines are in the business of selling advertisements of product....I very rarely see an article exposing the bad and unethical practices of a company that can dish out large sums of loot for services.

frenchmon
  • 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Only if it performs like a $2k amp. But at $1k i'm sure it got a $1k review. I've read many a review when the reviewer compared the lesser gear to a more expensive item he had on hand, and gave a report where the lesser gear was coming up short while still giving the gear a good report for its price range.

frenchmon

Yep, that's what I'd expect.... But $1K products that perform so well that they would still be top of their class at $2K are exceptions and not the rule... And I'm sure that not all of those overpriced Non-European Products (that get good reviews in Europe) can be exceptions...
  • 12-01-2009, 04:03 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

then that's truly sad and means that we are really just paying for build quality and bragging rights, rather than sonics...

I don't have the experience alot of people here have. However, I have looked inside many an amp and can tell you, I don't mind paying a premium for build and components.

These are important factors that ensure not only the life of the unit but also that it maintains it's quality during it's life. Not all that sad of a situation, unless you are paying a ridiculously high premium. But the only thing sad about that, is that the consumer is a sucker.
  • 12-01-2009, 06:07 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I don't have the experience alot of people here have. However, I have looked inside many an amp and can tell you, I don't mind paying a premium for build and components.

These are important factors that ensure not only the life of the unit but also that it maintains it's quality during it's life. Not all that sad of a situation, unless you are paying a ridiculously high premium. But the only thing sad about that, is that the consumer is a sucker.

Nothing wrong with paying for quality build (especially if you get a 20 year warranty like Bryston)... But I still expect an improvement in sound as well....

I've always believed that differences in Hi-Fi are far more subtle than many audiophiles claim... So the difference between a $1K Speaker and a comparable design $2K speaker are not night and day, but should be there...

My rule for upgrading is to never replace a product with anything that costs less than about triple the price of your existing product... In my experience triple the price is where you find real improvements (the subtle changes start to add up by this point)...

So a really good $1K Amp would get 5 out of 5 stars at its price... but compared to $2K amps (unless it was so good that it should have about 6 stars and was clearly under priced) I would expect it to be able to get 4 stars... so still a good option but clearly not best in class at $2K... The Reviews I refer to in this thread still give those products enthusiastic 5 star reviews at double the price, implying that its not a case of a subtle difference between a $1K and a $2K product... but that there is really no difference... that concerns me... as I expect experts to be able to pick up on the subtle differences...

NOTE: my upgrade rule only applies to replacing similar sounding components, not switching from say a bright speaker to a more subdued one (you could swap out components at the same price and see major differences in those cases)...
  • 12-01-2009, 06:42 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Nothing wrong with paying for quality build (especially if you get a 20 year warranty like Bryston)... But I still expect an improvement in sound as well....

I've always believed that differences in Hi-Fi are far more subtle than many audiophiles claim... So the difference between a $1K Speaker and a comparable design $2K speaker are not night and day, but should be there...

My rule for upgrading is to never replace a product with anything that costs less than about triple the price of your existing product... In my experience triple the price is where you find real improvements (the subtle changes start to add up by this point)...

So a really good $1K Amp would get 5 out of 5 stars at its price... but compared to $2K amps (unless it was so good that it should have about 6 stars and was clearly under priced) I would expect it to be able to get 4 stars... so still a good option but clearly not best in class at $2K... The Reviews I refer to in this thread still give those products enthusiastic 5 star reviews at double the price, implying that its not a case of a subtle difference between a $1K and a $2K product... but that there is really no difference... that concerns me... as I expect experts to be able to pick up on the subtle differences...

Cu'mon, Ajani. Sure, in the best of all possible worlds. But bear in mind that private enterprise is all about releaving the customer of as much of his money as possible while keeping cost of product as low as possible.

What do you suppose the sound improvement per dollar is for 'Brilliant Pebbles', (Large BP, $129)? Or how about the 'Teleportation Tweak', $60? But hey, both come with money back guarantee. The sad part is that some people actually "hear" an improvement.
  • 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
    mlsstl
    Quote:

Ajani wrote: "But I still expect an improvement in sound as well....
    That is the key idea - your expectations of price and performance are not always the same as the expectations of others.

There will always be manufacturers who build a product that does not align well with our personal expectations, or companies that price an otherwise acceptable item in a fashion that does not agree with our wallet.

I counted the number of tube and solid state amp manufacturers in the Review section of Audio Asylum and came up with over 260. The number of different models is several multiples larger.

If you're like most people, you'd end up seriously considering only a handful of them - the ones you believe are likely to sound the best for the money you're willing to spend.

However, other people are still buying the ones you rejected or didn't even consider. If those other makes aren't selling, those companies would go out of business.

As long as there is one company selling a product I like at a price I'm willing to pay, I don't worry too much why others have made a different choice.
  • 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

As long as there is one company selling a product I like at a price I'm willing to pay, I don't worry too much why others have made a different choice.

And that is why they do what they will....selling in a different market, well above the selling price in another market. If they will buy, they will sell because it really is subjective. The professional reviewers know the game as well. I've never ever really seen a terrible review of a supposed mid to hi end piece of gear. I've never ever seen flat out unethical tactics of manufacturers exposed by audio magazine professionals...why...because selling magazines that report "all gear is good" keeps food on the table., and thats the name of the game. I wonder how many amps are really the same amp year after year with a new spin and twist that does not improve audibly but the price is much higher than the previous year? The New Paradigm Studio series and the new Monitor audio RX series both got face lifts and had a new twist added to them. The sound was to be better but is it really worth the added $$$$ for the new product, thats really the old product with a new twist? The audio magazines sure think so....to them every product is good and gets better every year and is well worth the extra coin. Its all set-up to make us spend more and more. Its all subjective any ways. And the worst part about it, we all fall for it. You gotta love it!....Its our hobby. And the manufacturers and magazines KNOW we love sound.

frenchmon
  • 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
    Feanor
    "Regions" for DVD and Blu-Ray are a way for producers and distributors to control the release timing and the price of these products in local markets.

Perhaps our sagacious Sir ToT, can comment, but I see know advantage whatsoever to the whole Region thing for consumers.
  • 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Cu'mon, Ajani. Sure, in the best of all possible worlds. But bear in mind that private enterprise is all about releaving the customer of as much of his money as possible while keeping cost of product as low as possible.

What do you suppose the sound improvement per dollar is for 'Brilliant Pebbles', (Large BP, $129)? Or how about the 'Teleportation Tweak', $60? But hey, both come with money back guarantee. The sad part is that some people actually "hear" an improvement.

Which shows you that most of us purchase based on emotion. We get some kind of experience and joy. And dont think the manufacturers are not aware of this...that's why they can sell Teleportation Tweak and the likes.

frenchmon
  • 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon
    And that is why they do what they will....selling in a different market, well above the selling price in another market. If they will buy, they will sell because it really is subjective. The professional reviewers know the game as well. I've never ever really seen a terrible review of a supposed mid to hi end piece of gear. I've never ever seen flat out unethical tactics of manufacturers exposed by audio magazine professionals...why...because selling magazines that report "all gear is good" keeps food on the table., and thats the name of the game. I wonder how many amps are really the same amp year after year with a new spin and twist that does not improve audibly but the price is much higher than the previous year? The New Paradigm Studio series and the new Monitor audio RX series both got face lifts and had a new twist added to them. The sound was to be better but is it really worth the added $$$$ for the new product, thats really the old product with a new twist? The audio magazines sure think so....to them every product is good and gets better every year and is well worth the extra coin. Its all set-up to make us spend more and more. Its all subjective any ways. And the worst part about it, we all fall for it. You gotta love it!....Its our hobby. And the manufacturers and magazines know we love sound.

frenchmon

That's way too cynical for me and I have to strongly disagree since I've seen the major mags give poor reviews to major brands (that advertise in their mags)..

What HiFi? is the mag that raved about the Monitor Audio RX6... but KEFs updated IQ range and new C series range were given ratings of 2 - 3 stars, causing heavy backlash among KEF fans on the WHF forums... (KEF was a major advertiser in WHF at the time as well as an award winner in previous years)... WHF stately plainly that the consumers should buy the old IQ range instead...

Stereophile allowed a reviewer to do a follow up review of the Musical Fidelity 550K Supercharger (previously raved about, owned and rated Class A by Stereophile's Editor John Atkinson)... the follow up review bashed the Supercharger as both a standalone amplifier and as a "supercharger"... According to Musical Fidelity, that review killed sales of the Supercharger in North America... and btw this is also the first year that Musical Fidelity made a loss....

Hi-Fi World just bashed Rotel's top of the line 15 Series Amp/Pre combo (3 globes out of 5)...

There are many bad reviews in mags... especially in Europe, where they review more products per issue than in America, where products are usually only reviewed if they are of interest to the reviewer... The idea that there are no bad reviews of major brands is a myth, that can easily be disproved by anyone willing to do a little homework...
  • 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

That's way too cynical for me and I have to strongly disagree since I've seen the major mags give poor reviews to major brands (that advertise in their mags)..

What HiFi? is the mag that raved about the Monitor Audio RX6... but KEFs updated IQ range and new C series range were given ratings of 2 - 3 stars, causing heavy backlash among KEF fans on the WHF forums... (KEF was a major advertiser in WHF at the time as well as an award winner in previous years)... WHF stately plainly that the consumers should buy the old IQ range instead...

Stereophile allowed a reviewer to do a follow up review of the Musical Fidelity 550K Supercharger (previously raved about, owned and rated Class A by Stereophile's Editor John Atkinson)... the follow up review bashed the Supercharger as both a standalone amplifier and as a "supercharger"... According to Musical Fidelity, that review killed sales of the Supercharger in North America... and btw this is also the first year that Musical Fidelity made a loss....

Hi-Fi World just bashed Rotel's top of the line 15 Series Amp/Pre combo (3 globes out of 5)...

There are many bad reviews in mags... especially in Europe, where they review more products per issue than in America, where products are usually only reviewed if they are of interest to the reviewer... The idea that there are no bad reviews of major brands is a myth, that can easily be disproved by anyone willing to do a little homework...

Well thank you Ajani...I stand corrected....I guess I dont read enough.

frenchmon.
  • 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
    audio amateur
    Still Ajani, bad reviews are generally quite rare. It seems like most Stereophile reviews of speakers say similar things in the conclusion