Thread: new member

AR Newbie Registered Member

Hello all. New member from Canada.

slinger

Forum Regular
    Hey there, noob from Michigan welcomes you.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slinger12
    Hello all. New member from Canada.

slinger
    London, ON myself. You'll meet quite a few canucks at AR. Welcome and what are your interests?

Welcome to AR slinger12!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Chicago IL
    Chicago IL. So what electronics do you have home Mr Slinger12 ?

Forum Regular
    Hi there, new here too. I don't want to hog this forum with a new thread just to introduce myself so, I'll hitch on this one. I am from the far east. Penang, to be exact. I am no audiophile; it cost too much. Currently using a Pioneer jack-of-all-trade as a source feeding into a tubed Consonance through a home brewed pure silver interconnect terminated with bullet plugs and driving a pair of Epos M12 through Van den Hull cables. Elsewhere, I've got Samsung, Sony (sounds decent) and an LG feeding into a Marantz multi-amp driving MB Quart, Wharfedales and Velodyne. I have owned Tannoy and Mission. Till today, I regret having to dispose of them but I can't keep too many equipment in my small apartment. On the power side, I have installed a stabilizer so everything in my house runs on this smoothed power supply. I have also taken the trouble to replace all lighting ballast with electronic ones. That's about it. All these are pretty low-end stuff but I try to make it up with high quality software. Besides this, I've got some old collection of vinyls but my Thorens needs overhauling. Got any ideas?

Talking newbie

Hey gang,just a friendly hello to all of you audio geeks who share the same disease as I do,lol. Hi,I am Muzikzohmbie,and I am an audioholic

Reply to T-H Lim

Quote Originally Posted by T-H Lim
    Hi there, new here too. I don't want to hog this forum with a new thread just to introduce myself so, I'll hitch on this one. I am from the far east. Penang, to be exact. I am no audiophile; it cost too much. Currently using a Pioneer jack-of-all-trade as a source feeding into a tubed Consonance through a home brewed pure silver interconnect terminated with bullet plugs and driving a pair of Epos M12 through Van den Hull cables. Elsewhere, I've got Samsung, Sony (sounds decent) and an LG feeding into a Marantz multi-amp driving MB Quart, Wharfedales and Velodyne. I have owned Tannoy and Mission. Till today, I regret having to dispose of them but I can't keep too many equipment in my small apartment. On the power side, I have installed a stabilizer so everything in my house runs on this smoothed power supply. I have also taken the trouble to replace all lighting ballast with electronic ones. That's about it. All these are pretty low-end stuff but I try to make it up with high quality software. Besides this, I've got some old collection of vinyls but my Thorens needs overhauling. Got any ideas?
    Hey,nothing wrong with your system,sounds nice.It does not matter how much you spend or do not spend on this hobbie as long as you enjoy it and are happy,that is all that matters.It is all about the music in the end.

Man, if I lived in the east I'd have all Shanling gear and pay almost nothing for it. But I don't.

Forum Regular

Unhappy muzikzohmbie

Quote Originally Posted by muzikzohmbie
    Hey,nothing wrong with your system,sounds nice.It does not matter how much you spend or do not spend on this hobbie as long as you enjoy it and are happy,that is all that matters.It is all about the music in the end.
    Hi muzikzohmbie,

I don't know if I am an audioholic like you but I also have an assortment of cans and plugs. The pitiful thing about my Sennheiser HD-600 is I don't have a purpose headphone amp for it so I can hardly discern the difference between this can and another that cost 5 times less.

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Man, if I lived in the east I'd have all Shanling gear and pay almost nothing for it. But I don't.
    Hi poppachubby,

On the contrary, Shanling is also quite expensive here. Most tubed electronics are. The best value is to get European marques manufactured in China. What isn't made in China these days?

Quote Originally Posted by T-H Lim
    Hi poppachubby,

On the contrary, Shanling is also quite expensive here. Most tubed electronics are. The best value is to get European marques manufactured in China. What isn't made in China these days?

Perhaps I should have been more specific. During a business trip, a guy I know through Target HiFi, picked up re-badged Shanling for a pittance. This was on a trip to China of course. I'm sure anything with the Shanling name on it is expensive the world round.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikzohmbie
    Truer words have never been written. Too often we get too concerned about the gear at the expense of the music. There is another thread about just that.

muzikzohmbie and T-H Lim:
    Welcome to AR!
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular

Thumbs up Bootleg

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Perhaps I should have been more specific. During a business trip, a guy I know through Target HiFi, picked up re-badged Shanling for a pittance. This was on a trip to China of course. I'm sure anything with the Shanling name on it is expensive the world round.
    Ah, you mean the bootleg version. Well, you should be careful with those. People who bootleg other peoples product can't be counted upon to have good ethics. You can be sure that any part that can be compromised will be. That is why you buy them at your own risk; no guarantees.

On the other hand, companies like Shanling, Consonance, etc. spend too much on advertising. Who pays for this? Is a Rolex really worth that much? Or is it because owning a Rolex also requires you to sponsor yacht racing and golf tournaments? With the advent of the internet, I'd rather quality makers not spend too much on brand recognition and instead have good reviews do the job for them. That is what sites like audioreview.com are for.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Truer words have never been written. Too often we get too concerned about the gear at the expense of the music. There is another thread about just that.

muzikzohmbie and T-H Lim:
    Welcome to AR!
    Thank you JoeE but would you be so kind as to point us newbies to that particular thread? I'd like to see if there is any good quality music I am missing.

It's under General Audio, the thread is called music lovers. It's not really about recommended music. Nevertheless it's an interesting thread. The Rave Recordings forum is more about recordings and recommended recordings. That may be what you're looking for. If you ask for recommended recordings in almost any thread you will get lots of answers.

Thread Information