Forum Regular

Dolby true HD and 7.1 processors?

Quick question, I have decided to try something new and go with an amp and processor setup for the first time. I am looking at Outlaw and Emotiva. Curious do I want to make sure I have the newest ones with dolby true hd or doesn't it matter so long as a cd or dvd player has it?
    Another question is IF I was to wait until a newer model processor comes out can I still use an amp from a year or two ago as long as its 7.1?

Your OK since the decoding would be done in the player and output over the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. You would lose out on DTSMA though since no player (I think) can decode this internally but they should start popping up soon.

Forum Regular
    Then tell me, would there be an advantage to waiting for a processor with the dolby HD? Is it for the future of other components like dish network receivers and things that may support but not process high definition sound and video? Am I missing something else?

Suspended
    The power amp section will always be good as long as you have enough channels to meet your needs. It's the processing part that changes so much.

I have a Dishnet 922 HD DVR and it does Dolby Digital and very few channels are 5.1 and the sound is actually pretty disappointing. It may be the use of heavy compression. The Dish HD receivers do have HDMI outputs, they have to be different and call them something else but they are there, I've seen the 622 & 922, both have them.

When buying a processor you need to decide what connections you will need. Are you going to use the processor for video switching or go direct to the TV? Are you going to have sources with HDMI and is your TV HDMI? I found that HD disc players will output multichannel PCM via HDMI so you might want to make sure your processor will accept PCM via HDMI.

I don't know your budget or time frame. The NAD T175 is fairly up to date at under $2k. Not sure the price of matching amp. With Outlaw you'd pretty much have to take video to the TV or use DVI adaptors, pretty good pricing though. Marantz showed the AV8003 preamp processor at CES that is supposed to be totally up to date and target price around $3k. I haven't checked Rotel for features and from what I found Anthem either hasn't updated yet or no info was available to Google. Unfortunately right now isn't a good time to buy, you either have to buy something you know is outdated already or wait until new stuff comes out after the HDMI bugs and Master Audio stuff is worked out. If you are content with outdated, your best value would be going used.

Forum Regular
    I am going to wait for a bit then. I am really looking at the Emotivas but will have to hold off until March or so when their new models are available. Then I will probably get one of last year's amps to match it. I don't think I want to go used. My tv is not even a year old Samsung Dlp with two HDMI inputs which I have a PS3 and my dish network HD receiver hooked into. It would be nice to have a processor capable of passing it. The 2K is a bit much for me. Do you think the emotiva would be a good pair to Paradigm monitor 7's? I also have the CC330 center and titan surrounds with the 10" sub.

Suspended
    Sorry, I've never heard of Emotiva until recently and know nothing of them. Can you audition or the retailer offer a return if you aren't happy? Maybe email Outlaw to see when their next preamp will be out.

Forum Regular
    I wish I could email Outlaw but they have a FAQ on their site which replaced the email system...not sure I like that.

Suspended
    I agree, if there isn't any way to contact a company that would be cause for concern.

Forum Regular
    Well upon digging a bit deeper there is a place to submit so. I'll see what kind of info I can obtain for the new year.

Thread Information