• 11-16-2003, 08:53 PM
    jeskibuff
    Doing my part to nudge the economy along...
    ...I just got a new toy delivered, set up and running.

It's a Sony DVP-CX777ES, which is a 400-disc carousel unit which plays DVDs and SACDs.

I already have a Sony 301-disc carousel which plays only CDs. Then I have a Denon DVD-1600 which has DVD-Audio capability.

It'll be GREAT to have 700+ discs at my beck-and-call!

I've already put all my DTS discs in the new carousel. I'll leave my DVD-As for play in the Denon in order to get the maximum potential out of them. I picked up 2 SACDs today and have ordered a third online, not to mention the Dylan sampler that comes with the player.

I've found that aside from my DVD-A and DTS collection, if a disc was not in my carousel, it wouldn't get played as much. I really like the instant access and continuous play functions of a carousel, plus the fact that I no longer have to handle the discs.

Any good recommendations for SACD purchases? I picked up James Taylor's October Road and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I'll be getting the Stones' Hot Rocks sometime this week. I got them from BestBuy, who surprisingly beat DeepDiscountCD on the prices, as long as you ordered them online. October Road was only $11.99, but $16.99 in the store. Pink Floyd was $13.99 in the store. I was a little hesitant buying that because I already had it on CD and didn't listen to it very frequently. It is AWESOME in surround! I expected it to be, which is why I bought it.

So, where do YOU buy your SACDs? I've got my eye on Peter Gabriel's "Up", which is the only(?) one of his releases in multi-channel surround, but I've never heard it. I like "So", "Us", "Gabriel 1 (car)" and "Shaking the Tree", but didn't like "Security" much at all. When Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is released later this month, I plan on getting that. I imagine that "Funeral For A Friend" has great potential in surround, but the whole track list is great.

So, like I say...I'm only doing this as my patriotic duty to help to spur the economy. I have no self-interest at all in this buying spree! :rolleyes: ;)
  • 11-17-2003, 08:30 AM
    bturk667
    I'm sure Bush is happy!
    Not to mention the Japanese economy. Sony needs all the help it can get. Wow, you single handedly helped two countries! Good for you.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeskibuff
    ...I just got a new toy delivered, set up and running.

It's a Sony DVP-CX777ES, which is a 400-disc carousel unit which plays DVDs and SACDs.

I already have a Sony 301-disc carousel which plays only CDs. Then I have a Denon DVD-1600 which has DVD-Audio capability.

It'll be GREAT to have 700+ discs at my beck-and-call!

I've already put all my DTS discs in the new carousel. I'll leave my DVD-As for play in the Denon in order to get the maximum potential out of them. I picked up 2 SACDs today and have ordered a third online, not to mention the Dylan sampler that comes with the player.

I've found that aside from my DVD-A and DTS collection, if a disc was not in my carousel, it wouldn't get played as much. I really like the instant access and continuous play functions of a carousel, plus the fact that I no longer have to handle the discs.

Any good recommendations for SACD purchases? I picked up James Taylor's October Road and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I'll be getting the Stones' Hot Rocks sometime this week. I got them from BestBuy, who surprisingly beat DeepDiscountCD on the prices, as long as you ordered them online. October Road was only $11.99, but $16.99 in the store. Pink Floyd was $13.99 in the store. I was a little hesitant buying that because I already had it on CD and didn't listen to it very frequently. It is AWESOME in surround! I expected it to be, which is why I bought it.

So, where do YOU buy your SACDs? I've got my eye on Peter Gabriel's "Up", which is the only(?) one of his releases in multi-channel surround, but I've never heard it. I like "So", "Us", "Gabriel 1 (car)" and "Shaking the Tree", but didn't like "Security" much at all. When Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is released later this month, I plan on getting that. I imagine that "Funeral For A Friend" has great potential in surround, but the whole track list is great.

So, like I say...I'm only doing this as my patriotic duty to help to spur the economy. I have no self-interest at all in this buying spree! :rolleyes: ;)

• 11-17-2003, 09:51 AM
    jeskibuff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bturk667
    Not to mention the Japanese economy. Sony needs all the help it can get. Wow, you single handedly helped two countries! Good for you.

So...
    ... do I get some kind of award now? :D

I'd buy a new shirt, but I'm not too thrilled with supporting Communist China.

I might consider a new M3, but the local dealership never has a demo available. I'm not too thrilled with Schroeder anyway, so it'll teach those Germans a lesson if I keep my current car for a while longer. Plus, I just got a ticket a couple of weeks ago, so 100+ more horsepower is just what I DON'T NEED!

What to buy? What to buy? I'll do what I can, but I already have much of what I want.
  • 11-18-2003, 07:00 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeskibuff

Great to hear that you're "contributing" ... also interesting that you really like the Pink Floyd disc because I've been hearing a lot of mixed impressions about the surround mix. All in all though, worth samplin.

I don't have a SACD player yet, but I've been buying DVD-A discs (listening to the surround mixes in DD and DTS, since I'm waiting for the right universal player to come along before I go buying). While Best Buy's been pretty good about stocking titles in those formats (while not even selling DVD-A or SACD players for a while), Tower Records and some independent music stores have a much broader selection than Best Buy stores that seem to all stock the same group of titles. Even your local high end audio shop might carry some SACD titles from independent labels. I try to support Tower because they've always been good about stocking titles in new formats (they were the first on board when CDs came out, and over the years they've stocked Laserdiscs, and even prerecorded Minidiscs and DCCs, and they're the only retailer I've seen that stocks D-VHS titles).