• 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM
    Worf101
    Does anyone else here "Pay it Forward"?
    I was just recounting in another thread the gear I'm hooking up for an ex-girlfriend (get your minds out the gutter, there nothin' going on :frown5: ) and I got to thinkin' about all the gear, I've donated at cost or flat out given away to friends to help them dip their toes into HT. Not to mention all the free installs and tech support I've given over the years. Anyone else doing this?

Da Worfster
  • 11-05-2009, 06:22 AM
    bfalls
    I'm sure it's not uncommon. I've given away a lot of hardware over the years. I don't like to sell it because it's usually more valuable to me than anyone else. I'd rather give it away to family or friends than try to sell it.

I've recently given away two TVs to my daughters. One an older Sony direct-view 36" XBR TV, the other a 57" Hitachi HD rear-projection. After buying two Sony LCD XBRs, I couldn't watch the others. Computer gear is the same way. I usually buy a new one for faster processing, or more features, then give away the old one.

I'm sure most of you with technical skills/knowledge run into the same situations. Once it's known you have audio, video, electrical, computer skills the world beats a path to your door. I've been approached many times while walking through the plant by people saying "You know about computers, right?", or "You know about Home Theater. Can I ask you a question?" I understand to the layman audio/video cabling can be pretty confusing? I always try to help out when possible.

So far no one has abused the privilege and most times I can resolve the problem. There's been a couple of times I've gotten in over my head. Once I tried to fix a computer problem on hardware about seven years old. Not so much a problem with fixing it, moreso it being a pain because it was soooooo slow.
  • 11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
    kexodusc
    I had a bad habit of building speakers and giving them away. Actually, I build them, and my wife says that I have too many and have to give some away...then we compromise with me giving some away.

I've dished out a few older receivers and an integrated over the years, but otherwise not that much on the electronics side. I find my gear has retained some value in the used market and I'm too cheap to not re-capture that at upgrade time.

I, too, spend a lot of time helping people setup their new toys. I kind of enjoy it - their excitement and anticipation is infectious - maybe the next best thing to me getting new toys.
  • 11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
    audio amateur
    Yup, I'm always ready to help tech wise, I really enjoy it so it's no problem. As Kexodusc says, it's exciting!
    I haven't owned much gear to speak of but I have given stuff (and even bought cheap stuff) to friends.
  • 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
    JoeE SP9
    bfalls, you are right on the money there. I get asked to help with things that range from setting up a cell phone to fixing the neighborhood kids bicycles. I don't have a lot of unused Stereo/HTgear but I do have a boatload of old computer gear. I've given a lot away to people that need it. Of course I also install the hardware and make sure the PC is set up properly. I'm also the local stereo/TV/electronics geek and you know what that means. I never knew retirement could be so busy.
  • 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
    harley .guy07
    I have done everything from giving advice on products to full blown installs for free for family members and close friends. It seems somewhat normal to do this for the people you care about. there is something to be said for helping people that do not have the natural talent of understanding how this stuff works and how to get better and better results with audio equipment and not just hooking everything up but actually studying the setup and seeing where improvements could be made. I have given away older equipment to people if I see it they could benifit form it but I give away installs and advice way before I give away equipment.
  • 11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    Anyone else doing this?

Sure. bfalls has stated the situation pretty well for me, too. I am known to my friends and family as the computer and audio guy. I've given away audio gear to a number of folks, including one old girl friend, the Salvation Army, and most recently, my wife's parents. In that case, I bought them an HT receiver (no hand me down available) and gave them a spare subwoofer. Similarly, my old computers usually end up being given to the church where they can be put to use.

I became an AV resource back in the sixth grade. I was the projector kid who was responsible for threading the film and getting the loop right on the Bell & Howell. In high school, I became the audio guy and was asked to provide the sound for the Miss RHS Beauty pageant. I brought my trusty double Advents driven by a Crown amp to the auditorium for that purpose. Last week, I took the garage system (also using double Advents 35 years later) next door for the neighbor's teenaged daughter's Halloween party.

rw
  • 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
    TheHills44060
    I've given tons of audio gear to my little sister over the years. Just bought her a Velodyne MicroVee sub and an Oppo dvd player a month ago for her family room.
  • 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I've helped several with hooking and setting up systems. I've been known to let go of a few cables when needed for some of these. I was helping a friend rewire his A/V system as it was done by the satelite installer and didn't optimize his gear, I used one of my cables and told him what it cost, his voice went up an octave or so and he said, "you aren't charging me for that are you?" I wasn't charging anything at all but he got worried when he heard the price of the cable. People don't run in the same A/V realm we do. Another time I answered an ad on Craigslist for some one looking for an installer. Turns out all he wanted is speakers to work in another zone. So I just went over and the wires were all ran he just didn't know what to do, so I hooked up what needed done and helped him figure out the receiver's internal set up necessary to do what he wanted. I didn't take any money though he tried.

I have let a piece of gear go here and there to close family but usually don't because people don't realize what it is and appreciate it for what it is. I had a vintage Sansui integrated I could have easily gotten $300.00 or more out of it, I have a friend who is on a fixed income and sold it to him for $50.00. The $50.00 was because he is proud and also if he was willing to pay what he could he was serious about the amp. I am more willing to give up equipment to some one who will appreciate it over just giving it to a family member or something.

Good topic. I'd bet most here do this. We all love our hobby and willing to help others.
  • 11-06-2009, 06:16 AM
    Worf101
    Just about as I'd figured....
    All you folks are "stand up" individuals! What's the sense of "hoggin' it" when you can share the knowledge for free and the sometimes the gear for little. I, for the life of me, don't understand why one would let gear moulder in the closet when you can give someone a basic hook up and watch them get pleasure from it? It makes no sense. Reading these accounts makes me feel "good".

Da Worfster
  • 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM
    Auricauricle
    A few nights back, I had a neighbor and his brother (who was visiting from out of town) over for some good wine and a "living room session". We fired up the amp and listened to some good music for much of the evening. Eventually, I started a discussion about the demise of this sort of experience and the advent of the I-Pod phenomenon, where music has become much less communal and more private. Even with computer-based music (with some exceptions noted) has relegated the music as "pleasant back ground noise", instead of taking it to the front where it can be enjoyed by one and all. I suggested that we should encourage our younger brethren to take the phones outta their ears and bring the music back into the living room. That's what I call "paying it forward".
  • 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
    poppachubby
    My thoughts are that the core membership of AR "pay it forward" everyday. Just the help that's provided through the forums is in itself paying it forward.

Most everyone here should be applauded for helping others. Not just opinions on gear but in alot of cases actual cash savings. By pairing a person to the right piece, the ensuing happiness is often so much that it's hard to measure with words.

Perhaps some of you might remember one of my earlier posts. I started a thread just to thank everyone and give praise to the forum. Specifically, 02audionoob opened a HUGE door for me, saving me money and giving me exactly what I needed.

Thanks to that lovely man, I have changed my listening habits and have never been happier with my system. Certainly, he didn't have to share anything with me. He could have privately chuckled and thought "heh, another sucker".

I think some people found my praising thread a little cheesy or odd. Fact of the matter was, I was overjoyed beyond belief.

Here's the thread that changed my audio life, literally. Thanks again noob!

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...=usb+turntable
  • 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
    LeRoy
    Yes, I think I am leader of the pack on this one...
    To nephew#1. I gave him a Yamaha HT receiver about 7 years ago along with a pair of Def Tech BP-10's. I also gave him either a el cheapo Toshiba or Pioneer universal player. Earlier this year I then gave him a 5.0 HT speaker system, PSB Image 4T, PSB Image 1B, PSB Image 8C. To nephew #1's daughter, I gave her the Usher S-520's, and her very own original t-amp for graduating to first grade. lol

To newphew#2.When I moved back home from Austin, TX I gave him my Sony 24" TV. Earlier this year, I gave him a Denon HT receiver, and a 5.1 HT speaker system, Energy C-1, Energy CC-1, Energy CR-1 for surrounds. I also gave him a Velodyne sub, VX-10. Also, about 2 months ago I gave him the Kef IQ3 speakers that I could not tolerate. To nephew#2's daughter, I gave her the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, and I still need to place an order for the current version of T-amp.

About 8 years ago or so I gave a female co-worker I had a crush on a NAD 7220 PE receiver and a pair of Mirage M-290i speakers, and a bi-wire set of speaker cable. I should have kept the Mirage speakers...oh well. It's all good.

I think I must be the audio santa claus..
  • 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy

About 8 years ago or so I gave a female co-worker I had a crush on a NAD 7220 PE receiver and a pair of Mirage M-290i speakers, and a bi-wire set of speaker cable. I should have kept the Mirage speakers...oh well. It's all good.

I am wondering if she is on some forum, somewhere, extolling the virtues of her "pay it forward" to you. Hopefully it included a broom closet, some sweat and some funk guitar in the background...
  • 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy
    To nephew#1. I gave him a Yamaha HT receiver about 7 years ago along with a pair of Def Tech BP-10's. I also gave him either a el cheapo Toshiba or Pioneer universal player. Earlier this year I then gave him a 5.0 HT speaker system, PSB Image 4T, PSB Image 1B, PSB Image 8C. To nephew #1's daughter, I gave her the Usher S-520's, and her very own original t-amp for graduating to first grade. lol

To newphew#2.When I moved back home from Austin, TX I gave him my Sony 24" TV. Earlier this year, I gave him a Denon HT receiver, and a 5.1 HT speaker system, Energy C-1, Energy CC-1, Energy CR-1 for surrounds. I also gave him a Velodyne sub, VX-10. Also, about 2 months ago I gave him the Kef IQ3 speakers that I could not tolerate. To nephew#2's daughter, I gave her the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, and I still need to place an order for the current version of T-amp.

I think I must be the audio santa claus..

Sweet, merciful crap.

Uncle LeRoy, my birthday's coming up...:D
  • 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM
    LeRoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I am wondering if she is on some forum, somewhere, extolling the virtues of her "pay it forward" to you. Hopefully it included a broom closet, some sweat and some funk guitar in the background...

Naw, turns out she was not the pay it forward type...lol..no closet, no sweat, no guitar...just violins for me...:19:
  • 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM
    LeRoy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Sweet, merciful crap.

Uncle LeRoy, my birthday's coming up...:D

Well, you're gonna have to take a number cause I still have other nieces and nephews waiting for their "uncle carcass" to hook em up. lol

Happy Birthday!

LeRoy
  • 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
    BadAssJazz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    I was just recounting in another thread the gear I'm hooking up for an ex-girlfriend (get your minds out the gutter, there nothin' going on :frown5: ) and I got to thinkin' about all the gear, I've donated at cost or flat out given away to friends to help them dip their toes into HT. Not to mention all the free installs and tech support I've given over the years. Anyone else doing this?

Da Worfster

Yes, mostly for my younger brothers and a few good friends here and there. Some of the equipment that I give away I could have sold, but it's much more rewarding to help out someone that I know...especially now with everyone on real tight budgets.
  • 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM
    thekid
    I have given away various gear to my brother and some of my son's friends. Tomorrow we are having a garage sale and most of the gear I will be selling will be at or below my cost which given some of the deals I have got over the last couple of years is comfortably below its market value. I have been blessed in the past with getting some very good deals on some pretty good gear so I figure its the right thing to do.