• 08-17-2005, 06:37 PM
    twochannelsonly
    Do you POWER down your system
    Do you POWER down your system when your done listening.

I just leave them on all the time, except for power outages or storms of extremes that is.

I have a couple pieces over 10 years old and still havent had any trouble. And come to think of it the amp is 15 years old.

Just woundering... ... ... ???

Jim
  • 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
    mixadude
    I only power down if I know I'll be gone for more than a couple of hours; otherwise it stays on. The computer stays up unless I'll be gone for a couple of days.
  • 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
    topspeed
    I only power down when I'm leaving for more than couple of days. Otherwise, it all stays on. The worst problem I've encountered with this method over 20 years is the bulb in the power switch to my amp burned out.
  • 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
    gonefishin
    If there's a storm brewin'...I turn everything off and unplug them.

with normal use...

• I leave the cd player on
    • the preamp on
    • the tweeter amp off if not in use
    • the midrange amp on
    • the bass amp on

dan
  • 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
    RGA
    I have to power down because I'd go broke on the heating bill - plus my room would begin to have heat ripples in the air.

Expected life out of my Tubes in the tube amp is about 8,000 hours - powering down is advisable. It takes about 25 minutes from turn on to start sounding its best (though good from turn on).

I left my Sugden on most of the time...
  • 08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin
    If there's a storm brewin'...I turn everything off and unplug them.

with normal use...

• I leave the cd player on
    • the preamp on
    • the tweeter amp off if not in use
    • the midrange amp on
    • the bass amp on

dan

OK, I'll bite: why do you turn your tweeter amp off, Dan. Is it a tube while everything else is SS? Also, why did you triple amp your speaks? Enquiring minds want to know!
  • 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
    jamison
    I used to leave my computer on all the time and my amps on all the time, but my old girlfiend had her computer catch on fire. it toasted her whole apartment including her entertainment center. she had a big 60 inch tv worth a lot of money. insurance covered everything but since then i only leave stuff on if im home. i now have separete circuit breakers for my computer system and my home theater. if im gone more than a few days i just kick the breakers off
  • 08-18-2005, 07:24 PM
    L.J.
    I'm curious. I know that PC's are built to be on all day, but I'm wondering why? Not just PC's, but audio equipment as well. Does it extend the life of the product? Or help it perform better? Almost all my equip. has stand by mode. Is that the same as leaving it on? Just curious.
  • 08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
    Les Adams
    I only turn off the CD player. The Quad 405-2 (Modified) does not have a power switch on the front and the AVR amp is left on as the TV is on 24 hrs a day except when listening to 2-channel. I start up the Garrard deck about an hour before I want to use it.. this warms the platter nicely! The Denon DVD player turns itself off after a period of non-use (about 15 mins I believe).

I also have a broadcast radio production studio in my home. that is on 24 hrs also, except for the TLA VP-5051 Valve mic compressor / eq. That is only turned on during recording / broadcasts to preserve the valves.

I have always been led to believe that the surge of switching aparatus on is when things usually fail, so I leave it on!

There are 3 PC's in the studio, one for Steinberg Wavelab 4 digital mastering / editing, one for music index / presenter cues and one for the Internet - email - downloading / uploading to the radio station server. They are all on 24 hrs a day.
  • 08-18-2005, 07:54 PM
    mixadude
    The main reason I turn stuff off is heat and power. I prefer not to run the air conditioning full blast when I'm not here.

As far as stuff blowin during a power on cycle, that's mostly true, but it's gonna happen if it's gonna happen. I'd just prefer to be there than have it happen from a power outage when I'm not home.

Also the electrolytic caps in power supplies tend to last longer if they get cycled from time to time, at least that was the conventional wisdom err umm 35 years ago when I went to school. :)
  • 08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
    thepogue
    I turn my stuff off....
    Working in the fire dept (24 on 24 off) I turn off all my equipment when I'm heading for duty...then I slap it on about 8 each morning when I come home...one other point is that we have manditory overtime here and that could put me at work for 72 straight...just another reason to power donw...also durning the summer...when I power donw to head for work...I unplug my 2 tripp lites...which takes all my equipment off-line and lighting safe.

Peace, Pogue
  • 08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
    gonefishin
    Pogue...you guys are 24on 24off? I guess we lucked out with 24on 48off. Of course I think it's the Chicago medics that are (or were) 1on 3off.

Hi topspeed :)

Yeah...the tweeter amp is a tube amp. I'll probably change it at some time...but it's the only set of complete amp that I have done...so there it goes :)

The reason I have the speakers tri-amped is because of my preamp. It's the Deqx-p (pdf whitepaper) preamp. It does the crossover with driver correction, speaker correction and room correction.

Before this preamp...I had a Stevens & Billington transformer based passive that I was very happy with (which made me put away my other tube and passive preamps). But all in all...yes, I know it's a rather goofy system.

take care>>>

dan
  • 08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
    thepogue
    Fishin Brudda...
    I was goin' to go 24 48 off...but my wife put the nix on it...too much tima at home she says...;) BTW you STILL have the best looking system in all the land!!!
    Peace, Pogue

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin
    Pogue...you guys are 24on 24off? I guess we lucked out with 24on 48off. Of course I think it's the Chicago medics that are (or were) 1on 3off.

Hi topspeed :)

Yeah...the tweeter amp is a tube amp. I'll probably change it at some time...but it's the only set of complete amp that I have done...so there it goes :)

The reason I have the speakers tri-amped is because of my preamp. It's the Deqx-p (pdf whitepaper) preamp. It does the crossover with driver correction, speaker correction and room correction.

Before this preamp...I had a Stevens & Billington transformer based passive that I was very happy with (which made me put away my other tube and passive preamps). But all in all...yes, I know it's a rather goofy system.

take care>>>

dan

• 08-19-2005, 07:03 PM
    iano
    Nah mines never switched off. During electrical storms perhaps, but where I live they dont occur very much.

All the gear is put through a mains filter and is fully surge protected.
  • 08-20-2005, 01:51 PM
    gonefishin
    Your to kind Pogue. Don't forget...if your ever going thru the Chicago are...just let me know and I'll have a couple of cold beer's for ya...maybe a Samuel Smith's...or Pete's Wiked Ale...or somethin'

I think I still owe you a couple after messing up you and Bone's place ;)

dan
  • 08-22-2005, 08:24 AM
    topspeed
    Hey Dan,

I've read about your DEQX pre. That's a serious bit of equipment and I've heard it compares favorably with Meridian's room correction piece. Very nice stuff indeed :D. I wonder if the difference before and after room correction at the DSP level was profound? It looks like you've addressed room acoustics already.

BTW, I'm with pogue; your rig really is great looking. Gotta love Edgarhorns!
  • 08-22-2005, 05:59 PM
    risabet
    Tubes off!
    I shut down my system as it is all tube and those babies are hot and expensive and wear out. I want to get listening out of the life of each tube, not keeping SCE wealthy.
  • 08-23-2005, 07:33 AM
    Pyrrho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twochannelsonly
    Do you POWER down your system when your done listening.

I just leave them on all the time, except for power outages or storms of extremes that is.

I have a couple pieces over 10 years old and still havent had any trouble. And come to think of it the amp is 15 years old.

Just woundering... ... ... ???

Jim

I have a hybrid tube/solid state receiver that is over 30 years old and has never been repaired. I shut if off when not in use. There is no reason to leave it on all of the time unless you are using it all of the time. You are wasting power.
  • 08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
    twochannelsonly
    Some great points
    In one way or another I could find something to say about almost every response. And what awesome thoughts also. TUBE guy's I understand...all Collin's and Drake ham radio Gear here, and those I do shut off.

You ever think about the actual use we use on our Equipment, I bet Audiophiles more so than any other hobbiest actually uses what they own.

We should start this as a thread of its own.

My use of EQ is this
    about 3-4 actual hours per day during the week(the last 2 weeks Ive been home injured from work, so its used all day) lets just say 15 hours normally
    and on weekends at least 12 hours a week 6 hours each day, so thats 27 hours a week of actual listening... ... ...or background, either way it's being used, just sometimes at greater volumes than other's.

1850 hours of use at least every year, ouch MY gear is better than I thought, 10 years of the amp would be 18,500 of life..at $1000 I paid...err...dit...err...da...WOW new post comming guys its $1.85 a hour ... worth every penny for it , meet you on that thread ;)
  • 08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
    gonefishin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    Hey Dan,

I've read about your DEQX pre. That's a serious bit of equipment and I've heard it compares favorably with Meridian's room correction piece. Very nice stuff indeed :D. I wonder if the difference before and after room correction at the DSP level was profound? It looks like you've addressed room acoustics already.

BTW, I'm with pogue; your rig really is great looking. Gotta love Edgarhorns!

Thanks for the kind words:) I've started to address room treatments...but I really do have a ways to go. But that'll have to come in the future :( I still have to get everything dailed in...but each part of the correction has been an eye opening experience. Largest problem that I can see with the room correction is that I'll have to take new measurments and make new corrections when I add any new room treatment.

oh well ;)

dan