Question Why are Audiophiles so mean?

I'm relatively new to the discussion forums on this site, and as I was reading the posts, especially in the My System and Dream System galleries, I was struck by the prevalence of mean comments people posted about the tastes, arrangements, and ownership of audio equipment. Why is that? It seems to me that people, including myself, build their system according to their budget, interest, and knowledge of audio equipment. What is the point in deriding someone for their choice in equipment? Shouldn't we discuss and educate rather than mock?

So I ask all of you: why are many audiophiles so mean? What is really accomplished by being mean?

Snobs

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I'm relatively new to the discussion forums on this site, and as I was reading the posts, especially in the My System and Dream System galleries, I was struck by the prevalence of mean comments people posted about the tastes, arrangements, and ownership of audio equipment. Why is that? It seems to me that people, including myself, build their system according to their budget, interest, and knowledge of audio equipment. What is the point in deriding someone for their choice in equipment? Shouldn't we discuss and educate rather than mock?

So I ask all of you: why are many audiophiles so mean? What is really accomplished by being mean?

Sadly, it's the insulation of the internet, and sheer rock-throwing snobbery. It's not just the audiophiles that are mean, it's some naysayers, and general trolls.

But I know just what you mean. I saw one thing in the gallery: Some kid around 12-13 posts a pic of a diy system. Some jerk posts a comment "Take down that picture and get a real set of speakers" or something vile to that effect.

It's a form of intolerance, that only goes away face-to-face in real life, when people realize insults may be held against them physically.

Forum Regular
    The internet has a way of changing people.
    I remember a friend and I were playing some internet game.
    He turned incredibly cocky even though he is usually quite the quiet guy.
    Its the annonimity.
    I realize that people like to listen to things that reassure them of certain beliefs.
    If one thinks something as good, they will find reviews, articles or whatever to prove that it is good, rather than find things that say its bad.

By dissing a certain set of gear, many are trying to reassure that thier own gear is the way to go or something in thier mind that is the way to go. Realistically, however, not many people can afford "high-end" items. I wouldnt mind a $100000 system and I dont think ANYONE would, however, I have that limitation of money as do many around this world. Every system deserves some level of respect as long as it's enjoyed. You pay for what you get. If im in short of dough and buy some KLH, but I enjoy them, there is no difference with someone who has more money but gets some Sonus Fabers and enjoys them. It's all relative. If you happy and you know it, then its worth every penny.

To be honest, I havent gotten my system yet because I'm Mr. Cautious (Wanna get some used goods for good prices ^^). I used to talk to my friends about it and every time I do, I get excited, cuz I really cant wait (except that I'm Cautious). But they said that I'm wasting money and that I'm stupid for spending so much money on a large magnet in a box. I dont talk to them about it any more, but I learned that if a certain something is not that person's priority then they are likely to put down the idea. Some of my friends spend $100 on a pair of jeans and $50 a shirt. In a year, they spend as much money on clothing as I will on my system. I find myself questioning why they spend so much money on clothes!

The point is some audiophiles scour the world for the best of the best gear. Some stuff is tolerable to thier standards and some not. In that way, they praise what they think is acceptable but stone whatever isnt. Well, I guess its only human. I do it too, I admit. We all do. Look at those people who are analog fans vs digital (big debates!) or on the other sector lets look at tube vs solid state, which is even a bigger quarrel.

Decisions

The net can inject as much heat as light.

It took me almost 5 years to work up the courage and make the decision on which turntable to buy. The net both helped and hindered that.

I had to be satisfied, because:
    It does not matter what you buy, *SOMEONE* will try to insult it or you.

This place was far worse back in the days or Norbert and no one was required to register.

You could get flamed, attacked, insulted for no reason at all.

The internet is also a haven for people to throw rocks, be "armchair experts" and place anything they want in print, and someone will believe it.

Another problem is that it is very easy to misinterpret the emotion being expressed by the author of a post. Sometimes the most innocent of remarks can come across as rude and invasive. A lot of the time it has to do with the reader’s mood and personality. You always have to take replies to the posts with a grain of salt. Sometimes I think that some folks forget that this is in no way an expert panel of audio gurus. It is supposed to be a forum to express and gather opinion. Not spread the gospel of audio. The fact that there are some rather aggressive remarks mixed in can be a good thing though because it gives you another point of view. Kind of' like what '92135011' said about people only reading the good reviews about their equipment. You have so take the good with the bad and use both to discern your answer.

Forum Regular
    The net is both a blessing and a curse. It opens the door for people to buy gear they otherwise would either not know about nor be able to afford. It also gives people a way to bash a product soley because it is made somewhere else or goes against tradition.

I'd say don't take stuff personally and do research. Get something you will be happy with, be it new, used, or a DIY experiment. Pictures often don't do an item justice but they can reveal problems, such as location of gear, etc. But that is still no excuse for people not using etiquette and tact, two things tremendously lacking in todays society.

Red face Couldn't have said it better guys....

Yes... the net is a relatively penalty free playground for individuals who would otherwise be torturing small animals or starting fires. On the net than can change identities weekly, daily, every hour. They can say anything they want no matter how spurious and reap no serious consequences. It is the dark nasty underside of the net. When the web community was small, and you had to be able to write code to communicate, the bad apples were real easy to find and censure... when the net was opened to everyone, the bad came in with the good. You have to develop a thick skin and a keen eye and watch out for snakes and fools...

Da Worfster

When I reply to a post I try make a valid point without getting hot or emotional. I don't always succeed at this, but I have found a way that usually keeps me honest. I write a first draft offline in a word processor, then set it aside and do something else for a while.

Later I'll go read it again. Unless it is a simple short reply, I often find that I said things poorly. When I revise it, I'm no longer annoyed by whatever it was that first bothered me and I take out all the emotional wording. I usually find that I explain my point much better this way. There are times that I drop the whole thing because I find that I can't say anything clearly and plainly without getting annoyed all over again. After I finish the revision, I log on here and paste in the text.

I do believe that things would be different here if more people proofread and revised their initial responses.

Wink Because I'm Right And You're Not!!!

Everyone has a right to an opinion...you're just wrong.

I'm always right.

My ears are perfect.

Everything I think and say is de facto absolute. If you think differently, you were dropped as a child.

I'm better than you. Get used to it and you'll be happier because of me.

Gawd, I hate that term "audiophile"

It does imply a certain snob appeal. I'm glad I'm just an enthusiest. HAve been for about 40 years now. Maybe someday I'll graduate to audiophile.

Seriously, as to those remarks.. well, some might have been poking fun at a friend but I don't discount that many were menat to be hurtful.

Yes, there ARE (were?) those here who got off pissing into other people's cornflakes simply because they could get away with it. In this virtual world, it's easy to slam someone anonomosly (sp?) and get a way with it. Many children of all ages revel in this power to hurt someone.

Don't sweat the a$$holes. Take 'em with a grain of salt. Stick around and you'll get a degree in proctology like the rest of us.

Forum Regular
    I'll tell ya,their like puter nerds,ugly,not a mechanical bone in their body,ya wont see them building a 74 kaw z1now will ya.....no ladies,no life...but they usually know what their talking about...so...

Forum Regular

I almost bought a Z1 once. I was too young and thought

better of it. Had a friend who bought the KZ1000Shaft that came out a few years later. Wicked, scary handling, ungawdly powerful, going 135 and you think your doing 70 kind of thing. I'da killed myself on a Z1, got a 550 Honda. Then again, that was my first bike. A Z1 would have been a horrible first bike. A 550 Honda wasn't a great first bike, but I had some experience with dirt bikes.

Okay, I rebuilt my the carb in my father-in-laws riding mower with a beer can, some epoxy, two screws salvaged from a computer, and a piece of baling wire. Had to tear the top end down to get the screws that hold the governor butterfly out of the cylinder on a BS OHV engine. Tore down one of my old chainsaws completely and fixed all but one of the problems...haven't had the gumption to go back and fix the last thing my father broke. I did the front brakes on my wife's mini-van in 45 minutes. And I AM an audiophile. But one of the nice ones.

I understand the concept of learning curve. I owned crappy speakers once, and bought a good reciever just because I was poor and lucky. Took me a decade to shed the college debt and finally afford to reverse the mistake I didn't want to make but made because I was a half drunk college student who wanted tunes. The real speakers I wanted were back ordered.

Anonimity changes people. Usually not for the better.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular
    I'm an "Audiophile," and I'm nice. Now shut the F@ck up you whinney b@stard!!!

Only kidding!!!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Geez, if you think people on audio boards are mean, have you ever read political chat boards or for that matter, car audio or video game boards? As others have said, it's the nature of the internet. Some people treat others pretty much the same way in real life that they online, while others feel like they have to put on a front. I used to chat host on AOL, and got to meet a lot of the "regulars" in the room that I hosted, and it was always interesting to see how differently some people interact when they don't have the anonymity of the computer screen to protect them. In real life, we're not going to just spout off whatever's the first thing that comes to mind because there are potential consequences if people negatively react to them.

Forum Regular
    Audiophiles are mean because they are basically insecure and dissatisfied. Almost every one of them is perpetually looking for "better equipment" than he already owns. Almost every one of them has at some time been sold a bill of goods only to realize later on that he's been had. Almost every one of them is looking to justify to himself why his last purchase was "the" right one and everybody elses was wrong. You will notice that almost all audiophiles are male. Very few women on a percentage basis worry over what speaker or which amplifier to buy. Despite the fact that most women hear better than most men, they are generally happy with whatever they own for far longer. One of the problems that plagues most audiophiles is a lack of basic electrical engineering knowledge. They become slaves to advertising copy and subjective reviews which are not always fully honest or unbiased and which they eat up and substitute for real knowledge. I think most of them are subconscously aware of all this and anything that confirms their deepest darkest suspicions makes them angry because it makes them feel inadequate. (Other men feel the same way about their cars.)

Mean

This place, and AA were extremely bad in the late 90's. There was selective to no moderation at all. There would be senseless flame wars of the utmost vugarity. I don't mean disagreements spiralling out of control... I mean out of the blue personal attacks. And don't even try to have a real converasation on the audio review chat back then. There was no ignore or moderator/ops. Just as soon as you got some good tips or information, someone would troll and flood the place. It was horrible.

Want to see mean? rec.audio.opinion and other newsgroups are filled with blatently egomanical evil.

"You will never see a greater hive of scum and villainy..."

music fanatic
    lol, this thread has been a great read. I spend way too much time on internet message boards...now I'm going to get up from this chair and go out into the world...

Forum Regular
    Sorry skeptic, but your WRONG! I am not being skeptical!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

bturk667 that was totally wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I'm an "Audiophile," and I'm nice. Now shut the F@ck up you whinney b@stard!!!

Only kidding!!!
    but oh sooo funny

to answer the question why are "they/we" mean? well cuz after you get outta school whos lunch money ya gonna take?...no place to pull ponytails?...come'on man...have a stiff upper lips...tell'em ta take a flyin ****e!!!

no worries laddy...
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Why are Audiophiles so mean?

Don't know why some people are mean, no matter if they're an audiophile, an enthusiast or if they fall into another category.

As far as gear goes...it's all goood. You just gotta find what suits ya the best

take care, take your time, and enjoy!

enjoy the music!

c'mon - you still taking lunch money? Go for the good stuff nowdays like their MP3 players and cell phones, then you can sell 'em and increase your speaker budget! And quit pulling their ponytails! Those long haired hippie freaks can get tough sometimes!

Maybe we should start a new thread entitled: why are audiophiles so damn funny? and good looking.

But seriously, snapping bras gives you more bang for the buck than pulling ponytails.

Thread Information