AR Newbie Registered Member

How to Bi-Amp speakers with a Denon 1602

Hello,

I recently purchased a pair of bi-amp capable speakers and am tring to figure out if it is possible to bi-amp the speakers with a Denon AVR-1602 receiver. The receiver support A & B fronts. The receiver's manual also states that it has the capability to play both speakers A & B at the same time. Could I connect the outputs from A to the top terminal on each speaker and B to the bottom terminal on each speaker? Would it still be using only the amp for the front channels or would it also tap into the rear channel power if playing two speakers at the same time?

Any advice would be appreciated as I definitely do not want to damage the speakers. Thanks.

Are you talking biamping or biwiring? Biamping generally requires a crossover before the power amps.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the response. I just did some research on the net and I was obviously confused about the difference between "bi-wire" and "bi-amp". I don't think I have the equipment to bi-amp the speakers. In terms of bi-wire, do I more or less connect two sets of speaker wire to the speakers and appropriately combine the left and right ends together when connecting to my receiver's front outputs?

Thanks again.

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyClark
    Thanks for the response. I just did some research on the net and I was obviously confused about the difference between "bi-wire" and "bi-amp". I don't think I have the equipment to bi-amp the speakers. In terms of bi-wire, do I more or less connect two sets of speaker wire to the speakers and appropriately combine the left and right ends together when connecting to my receiver's front outputs?

Thanks again.
    By "...combine the left and right ends together..." I hope you don't mean the left and right channels.

Bi-wiring is simply running two sets of speaker wire to each speaker.
    First disconnect the conductor plate that joins the tweeter and mid/bass terminals. Connect one set of wires to the tweeter terminal and the other pair to the mid/bass teminal.
    Two sets of speaker posts (A&B) on the amp are not essential for bi-wiring. If there is a single set of posts for each channel, just join each set wires together (paying attention to polarity) so they are parallel at the amp side. Be careful not to short the speaker outputs.

Forum Regular

Forget you ever heard of bi-wiring and live a good life

You have already wasted more of your life on this than you should have.

Bi-amping can be either active or passive. Active is better, but you need two amplifiers. What you are talking about is using the same amplifier twice which gives you no benefit. Passive bi-amping means that you have two amplifiers (one of which can be gain matched, or a matched gain pair..THX certifications most useful purpose) with one amplifier dedicated to the woofers and one to mids and highs. Active means using an active crossover, tossing the ones in your speakers and dedicating an amplifier channel to each driver in your speakers.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information