The Bargain Hunter

Denon Hasn't Overheated "Yet"

I made yet another impulsive unresearched purchase today,a Denon AVR 3300 HT receiver.
    I went to the reviews section(afterward) and found over 500 reviews,many stating problems with these over heating and going into protect mode.I actually bought this to use as both a 2 channel pre with digital inputs as well as HT.I've been running it all night using just the front pre outs to a power amp and no problems so far.The upside of this is that the money came from the sale of a pair of everyones favorite Bose speakers.Now if I can just get rid of that pair of 901s it could help buy another pair of Maggies.Hey guys at least I'm moving in the right direction.It's amazing you can buy 2 pair of MMGs for less than 1 pair of new 901s(there must be a God). I'll never be able to afford the high end gear I see and hear about around this forum but I'm having fun here in my little(out in the country) world.No silly questions tonight,but feel free to step on my newbie toes if you like.I'm not MW or SVI but knock yerself out .Cheers

Suspended
    Keep trying maybe you can get it to

The difference I suspect is that you are using an outboard amp. That's what is doing the work of driving your speakers. The 3300 is just coasting with sending the low level signal to your amp.

If you already had a power amp why didn't you just get a preamp? You could have found one used fairly cheap with just the features of the 3300 or bought an Outlaw new.

The Bargain Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Keep trying maybe you can get it to

The difference I suspect is that you are using an outboard amp. That's what is doing the work of driving your speakers. The 3300 is just coasting with sending the low level signal to your amp.

If you already had a power amp why didn't you just get a preamp? You could have found one used fairly cheap with just the features of the 3300 or bought an Outlaw new.
    Your thoughts on the 3300 coasting sounds like it makes sense,even to a newbie like myself.I've hooked speakers to the terminals and am playing music in 5 channel stereo at about half volume,I've got my fingers crossed.
    As far as buying a new pre amp,I'm a used equiptment kinda guy,the price is usually right
    and I live far enough from any good audio stores that I just don't have the time to be running around auditioning new gear.I already own 2 other pre's,one I believe is vintage(HK citation 17) and the other I bought from ebay,a Sony 1000ESD that was I believe top of the line in something like 1991 but unfortunatly it does not work correctly.It will only play from the front 2 channels and nothing but hiss from center and surround pre outs.I had originally bought it for the same reasons as the Denon(digital inputs,remote control) and by the time I found a manual for it online and figured out that it wasn't my lack of knowledge, but that it was defective,it was too late to return it.Another thing I like about the Denon is it can be a stand alone unit or a pre,We moved into our new house 2 years ago and I'm I'm slowly working on finishing the basement
    and plan to build a room for HT only,when ever my step daughter and her husband get their
    junk outta there.So for now I'm just have fun trying different things,I probably have less money invested in my audio arsenal than some do in their cd transport,I'm just having fun,I hope I came to the right place for that

Suspended
    Do you use www.Audiogon as well as Ebay? There are many here with modest systems and some who like to buy vintage and/or hunt for bargains in the used market. The used market is ripe with A/V preamp processors as people are wanting more than 5 channels and upgrading to HDMI inputs. I just wondered if you are putting out the money and you already have an amp why wouldn't you just buy a used preamp which should offer better performance over a receiver. Just because I make a suggestion don't take it wrong, many people have different ways of going about things.

Are you just using stereo or putting together a surround sound system? The Citation should be a pretty good preamp for stereo. It's common to use receivers as a surround preamp. The 3300 came out in 99 but will still offer Dolby Digital and DTS. If your amp is only stereo, you could use it for mains and still run a center and rear off the receiver.

I'm not sure where you found the 3300 over heats, and it could be true, if it was consumers writing the reviews you have to account for people wanting to stuff a receiver into an entertainment center with out considering the proper amount of ventilation.

I hope everyone is into the hobby to have fun and enjoy the sound or they are doing it for the wrong reason.

Suspended
    ScottW, the problem with the AVR-3300 and overheating was due to it's fan circuit. It was one of the first receivers with a variable speed fan which the speed was determined by current and temp. The problem I had with mine was the fan would whine when at high-speed. It was audible and very annoying. Denon repaired the problem for free. I've had mine since 99' and have not had any problems with overheating.
    I also have my mains bi-amped using a Yamaha M-65 for the sub portion of my Legacy Focus mains. The Denon's 105W/ch seems to be plenty for my HT system. The 3300 is a very good receiver. The remotes not very intuitive, but is OK. It doesn't have as many configurable formats as other receivers, but I find I don't use them anyway. I paid $850 for mine new, if you paid less than $250 it's still a great deal. The Maggies are usually a pretty difficult load to drive, so the outboard amps are a good idea. Enjoy.

The Bargain Hunter
    Yep,got it for $200 and it ran for hours in 5 channel stereo(no outboard amp)and never got any warmer than when using it as a pre.

The Bargain Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Do you use www.Audiogon as well as Ebay? There are many here with modest systems and some who like to buy vintage and/or hunt for bargains in the used market. The used market is ripe with A/V preamp processors as people are wanting more than 5 channels and upgrading to HDMI inputs. I just wondered if you are putting out the money and you already have an amp why wouldn't you just buy a used preamp which should offer better performance over a receiver. Just because I make a suggestion don't take it wrong, many people have different ways of going about things.

Are you just using stereo or putting together a surround sound system? The Citation should be a pretty good preamp for stereo. It's common to use receivers as a surround preamp. The 3300 came out in 99 but will still offer Dolby Digital and DTS. If your amp is only stereo, you could use it for mains and still run a center and rear off the receiver.

I'm not sure where you found the 3300 over heats, and it could be true, if it was consumers writing the reviews you have to account for people wanting to stuff a receiver into an entertainment center with out considering the proper amount of ventilation.

I hope everyone is into the hobby to have fun and enjoy the sound or they are doing it for the wrong reason.
    I have looked at audiogon once but wasn't really looking for anything to buy at that time but thanks for reminding me,I'll make a shortcut to it.The reviews I looked at,of the Denon were on this website,I guess what I am doing is experimenting with different gear to see what combination I like best,you might think I'm crazy but so far the best sounding for me has been using one of my power amps with the pre outs of an old Realistic STA 2300 receiver,it has a very nice warm sound to it,I used the HK for a few months and although the sound was very nice,it just seemed a tad bright for my taste.I have both 2 channel and surround gear,I am not nearly as picky with the quality of the HT as I am with music listening.I have two,2 channel systems and a HT system all currently being used,some days I'm in the mood for the Klipsch sound,other days it's the Maggies.As I've said in a few of my posts I'm just having a lot of fun trying different things and not really looking for the ultimate system.I do appreciate everyones input though.

Suspended
    It does sound like fun and even better if you don't have to spend a lot of money doing it. One guy here, thekid, goes to a lot of thrift stores and checks Craig's List for bargains. I don't get to look regularly but I did find a highly regarded vintage Sansui integrated at a thrift store and picked it up for hardly anything.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Uhm, when my Denon smoked - it smoked the whole power board - so save the reciepts!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

That 3300 is a pretty special piece imo. Wish I still had mine, but a lightning storm had something else in mind so many years ago. Replaced it with a 3802 that's been sitting in a box for several years now. Personally I've never found a Denon piece with the same magic but that's probably a preference thing more than anything else.

Enjoy your music.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information