Definition of an audiophile....

What do you think an audiophile is? Although this term means different things to different people, here is what I think it means. An audiophile is one who loves audio. We strive for accurate sound reproduction as championed by people like John Dunlavy. In particular, speakers. An audiophile will do all in his power to assure a flat response, baffle step correction, phase alignment, impedance, and a myriad of other things. Yes, I am hooked but it sure is fun along the way. Learning never stops, and this hobby keeps that fire alive and burning. Regards, Paul.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I agree with that assessment Paul, but there's also the other side of "audiophile".
    The folks that use audio gear as a lifestyle accessory, spend more time upgrading, arguing about, and insulting equipment than actually listening to what they have. These people tend to ruin it for the others.

How's the latest project going? you get those RS drivers figured out yet?

audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I agree with that assessment Paul, but there's also the other side of "audiophile".
    The folks that use audio gear as a lifestyle accessory, spend more time upgrading, arguing about, and insulting equipment than actually listening to what they have. These people tend to ruin it for the others.

How's the latest project going? you get those RS drivers figured out yet?
    Awhile ago I looked that up somewhere (can't remember) but anyway it basically said that an audiophile is someone that enjoys music and truely believes that getting better audio equipment will enhance his listening experience and constantly strives to enhance this experience. Anyway, it was something like that but worded better. It mentioned something that an audiophile tries to better the equipment he/she currently has and is not exclusively related to the person that has "high end" equipment. Hopefully I explained that right.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    That makes good sense. I've met a few people now that are really into this stuff, know a ton about all the latest gadgets, yet own very simple, modest systems for whatever reasons. They're definitely audiophiles in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    What do you think an audiophile is?
    Question: What is an audiophile?

Answer: mtrycrafts

To explain...What is an audiophile? An audiophile is a person who has a love or deep interest for audio reproduction systems. The person also may or may not own an audio system themselves, it actually makes little difference to the term that describes them.

So...an audiophile is mtrycrafts

peace all

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular

Definition of an audiophile

A rabid nerd/geek who's not tone-deaf.

audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by spago
    A rabid nerd/geek who's not tone-deaf.
    I'm definately an audiophile then! Woo Hoo!

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar

Cool

Well it might be someone with an extra small penis. Darn,i guess i'm not a audiophile. Dang it.
    Its ok JC,i wont tell. LMAO.
    Its a joke,really.
    Look & Listen

cod
    Forum Regular
    here goes: Obsessive, sad, lonely people with no freinds,with lack of penis, who show acute signs of obsession. More obsessed with the trying to find the perfect sound at all costs, (that doesnt exist), and is forever trying to fill the gap of lost love with the technolust of a sound signal, to make up for the lack of social awareness, lack of love as a child, or acute schizophrenia with overtones Of obsessive compulsive disorder. Coupled by a lust/thirst to buy the extra one link in a chain, to get the reall full frequency of a Llama's fart. Or the exact Timbre made by a guitarist when he smashes his guitar over a Roadys head.

Top Tip: "Put all the human beings for a 40 mile radius in an underground Disney theme park and you crisp up the treble and open up the bass"!!

Me, oh I occasionally put my Wilson Bennesch speakers on to listen to Kylie, Tick tick.

Anyone know any women who are audiophiles?

I know as much as anyone here that, its never quite right, never quite good enough. But its a lot of fun to experiment with little upgrades and buying new gear is exciting, but we must have limits.

"Wow my new AMplifier sounds really great"

Yes and all the guys did was change the balance of the Tandy Graphic Equaliser in your Conrad johnson, at 3.3khz to give it more presence!.

Hands up all those who are 100% happy with their setup and wont buy another upgrade again?

In summary dont go too far, you may go mad, and also your always at the mercy of a technician and studio engineers who have an interpretation of the best mix, and dare i add they use equalisation all the time, Not Tandy though!!.

"Audiophile" can be broken down into a couple of sub-genres:
    1) Egomaniacs; people that directly relate the cost of their equipment to performance of such. Into collecting very esoteric equipment that most outside of their very priviledged sandbox have ever heard of.
    2) Gear geeks; people that love to upgrade. They are always looking for the latest and greatest. Never satisfied and will never find audio nirvana. Are far more into the gear than the music.
    3) DIY'ers; hooked on the concepts behind audio reproduction. Love to tweak, learn, experiment, and dive into the theologies of audio reproduction yet are generally grounded in reality.

There are probably others, but the most important aspect is that I didn't put a love of music anywhere in the descriptions. Certainly music lover and audiophile aren't mutually exclusive, but the reality is that you don't need to have fancy equipment to enjoy music. It doesn't hurt of course, but a music lover can enjoy a $40 boombox just as much as a $40,000 rig if the right song is played at the right time. I'm listening to The Cult's "Love" right now and even though the recording is horrible, who cares? I'm having a rocking good time !

Thread Information