I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Connecting a Graphic Equalizer

I know these things are not in use much these days so I am not not sure how to connect/what to connect. I picked this up at a thrift store and do not have the manual. The model is a TEAC EQA-5 if that helps. It has a line in connection (left and right) and output and under tape it has a play connection and mic connection. I am looking to hook it up to a Kenwood VR-307 for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Suspended
    You hook the EQ up as if it was a tape deck and to hear it's effects the Kenwood's tape monitor has to be on. The EQ provides another tape monitor loop since it takes one up. So connect the "line ins" and "line out" of the EQ to the receiver's tape in/out. I'd walk you through it but if I remember correctly Kenwood's in/out are opposite of other receivers. You normally go from EQ line out to receiver line in and receiver line out to EQ line in. Hey, how many ways can you get it wrong, just start plugging stuff in I wouldn't try to use an EQ for surround receivers.

Thanks Mr. P!
    I will give it a shot. I am thinking you are probably right about using the EQ on the surround reciever. I am looking to replace it with a vintage amp/reciever at some point. In the mean time is there any harm to the reciever if I have it hooked up?

Suspended
    You know another way to hook one of those up too is to use preamp in/out and put the EQ in the loop.

An EQ wouldn't hurt the A/V receiver, the effect sould only work for 2 channel.

Two channel is all I am going to use this system for so that will work.
    I hooked the EQ up to the tape in/out but when I switch it to Monitor I can't hear anything. If I am hooking it to Tape on the reciever what should I be connecting on the EQ? Sorry if this seems like such a noob question......

You have a separate "Tape Monitor" button, right?

A tape monitor loop is not the same as simply having an output to a recording device and another input marked tape. These can be totally separate. This configuration is common in newer receivers.

True tape monitor loops are rare on AV receivers. These require two sets of jacks, one pair to break the internal signal path and send the signal out to the external device. The second pair to receive the output of the external device and reinsert it into the signal path.

A Tape Monitor is a two position switch that, in one position (usually marked "out), sends the signal from the tape monitor output directly to the tape monitor input. The signal path is all internal so nothing needs be attached for you to hear something in that position..

In the other position (usually marked "in" or some such), the signal path is broken, the signal is sent out of the receiver to the external device's input and the external device's output is then fed back into the receiver. If nothing is connected to those tape out/tape in jacks and the switch is in that position, you'll hear nothing.

By flipping that switch you can hear the effect of he eq. as opposed to no eq instantly.

One way to tell that you've got a "real" tape monitor loop as opposed to just inputs and outputs is to connect an interconnect between the outputs and the inputs. When you press the "tape monitor" button, you should hear the selected input in both positions. If it's not a tape monitor loop, you'll hear nothing in at least one position.

If you do have a tape monitor, the tape monitor jacks on the eq would replace the ones it used on the receiver. That's where you would hook up a tape recorder.
    Last edited by markw; 11-12-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Suspended
    If the receiver has preamp in/out, that may be the simplest way to go about it. Preamp out to EQ in and EQ out to preamp in.

In addition to what Mark said, if you have the ins/outs mixed up or switched around you also won't hear anything when the tape monitor in in/on.

But think in terms of the signal going out of the receiver into the EQ where you tweak it and back into the receiver.

* Also if the EQ has a "defeat" button, make sure that's off or you won't be able to tell any difference either.

Thread Information