Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nightflier
    Ironically, he's using the same $200 HDTV cable box (RCA DTC-100), I used to have.

Personally I don't really care for the Mac look: it's big & bulky, toy-like, and looks like it hasn't evolved since the 50's. I know they perform well, but I just don't think a Mac pre would look good next to a PS Audio GCC amp. I know, I'll probably get flamed for even daring to insult the allmighty Mac, but hey, that's just my opinion. And apparently this guy thinks they look OK as well. To each his own...

Oh, heck ...

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Personally I don't really care for the Mac look: it's big & bulky, toy-like, and looks like it hasn't evolved since the 50's. I know they perform well, but I just don't think a Mac pre would look good next to a PS Audio GCC amp. I know, I'll probably get flamed for even daring to insult the allmighty Mac, but hey, that's just my opinion. And apparently this guy thinks they look OK as well. To each his own...
    How could you not love Mac? Sure, it won't win any industrial design awards, but looking like the '50s is a lot of the charm.

See my new C712 preamp:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Choosing a Manufacturer-macc712-05.jpg  

There are many people who over the years have come to favor one component manufacturer over another. They buy the products as a first choice and compare everything else to these. They set up websites, discussion forums, and trade technical details about used components. Some popular manufacturers that come to mind are Krell, McIntosh, Levinson, PS Audio, Linn, Bryston, etc. If you had to choose one company who's products you would "specialize" in, which one would it be & why? Any manufacturers to avoid?
    Well I recently picked up a pair of Axiom M80 V2's, an Axiom VP 150V2 and 4 Axiom QS8 V2's. I don't own my own home yet so I did not want to spend to much and these Axiom's come with a trial purchase agreement. I also read about their ability to handle an astounding amount of power and I have an insatiable need to listen loud. I read a bunch of reviews and decided to give it a shot.

When I received the speakers in the mail they seemed to be packed at a ridiculous standard and still there was a tiny scratch on the back of the center channel so I called Axiom. They instantly refunded me 10% of the purchase order. I have gotten 3 follow up e-mails since owning them and they have showed me that they really care about my being happy with their product.

The reviews I had read seem to have been spot on for the most part. Some of them read how bright the highs are. I have amplified them with 2 separate sources and the highs seemed to stand out to much only when they were being under powered. Once I pushed them, everything seemed to come together quite nicely. I don't have the same references that many here have as I am quite young in comparison to most of the posters here but I have done my share of listening. They truly can handle a ridiculous amount of power and although I have a sub, there is no need with the M80 V2's. I am most impressed with the ability of the center channel and the QS8 surrounds. The surrounds are so easy to place. They fire up, down and side to side and make for a sound that bleeds together so well that the room is totally enveloped.

Like I said, I don't have the experience as some but I know what I like. I have had a few relatives and friends come over to listen and everyone smiles instantly. For some who have never had a decent setup, that's an easy task with the most simple components. As for my uncle and a friend who are deeply immersed in the audio hobby it spoke volumes that they were able to appreciate this system as much as myself.

I will start a second setup for another room so I plan on trying some of the aforementioned products so perhaps in the future I will be a more credible point of reference for everyone here. For now I'm impressed and ecstatic with the results of my first "real" setup.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Nice to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by jlcct
    Well I recently picked up a pair of Axiom M80 V2's, an Axiom VP 150V2 and 4 Axiom QS8 V2's. I don't own my own home yet so I did not want to spend to much and these Axiom's come with a trial purchase agreement. I also read about their ability to handle an astounding amount of power and I have an insatiable need to listen loud. I read a bunch of reviews and decided to give it a shot.

When I received the speakers in the mail they seemed to be packed at a ridiculous standard and still there was a tiny scratch on the back of the center channel so I called Axiom. They instantly refunded me 10% of the purchase order. I have gotten 3 follow up e-mails since owning them and they have showed me that they really care about my being happy with their product.

The reviews I had read seem to have been spot on for the most part. Some of them read how bright the highs are. I have amplified them with 2 separate sources and the highs seemed to stand out to much only when they were being under powered. Once I pushed them, everything seemed to come together quite nicely. I don't have the same references that many here have as I am quite young in comparison to most of the posters here but I have done my share of listening. They truly can handle a ridiculous amount of power and although I have a sub, there is no need with the M80 V2's. I am most impressed with the ability of the center channel and the QS8 surrounds. The surrounds are so easy to place. They fire up, down and side to side and make for a sound that bleeds together so well that the room is totally enveloped.

Like I said, I don't have the experience as some but I know what I like. I have had a few relatives and friends come over to listen and everyone smiles instantly. For some who have never had a decent setup, that's an easy task with the most simple components. As for my uncle and a friend who are deeply immersed in the audio hobby it spoke volumes that they were able to appreciate this system as much as myself.

I will start a second setup for another room so I plan on trying some of the aforementioned products so perhaps in the future I will be a more credible point of reference for everyone here. For now I'm impressed and ecstatic with the results of my first "real" setup.
    That system is quite a powerhouse for HT. The EPI500 sub should really only be considered if you have your own house, as you will wind up shaking the building down!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by HAVIC
    But I feel being brand loyal with any type of product can be bad. I bought a VW jetta in 2000 because Consumer Reports was giving it a must buy rating and how great VW is. The very next year it was rated one of the worst 10 cars and the VW company was rated the second worst car company.
    It works for me when the acclaim has been in place for decades as with Honda. I've been completely satisfied with the eleven my wife and I've had over the past twenty five years.

The Jetta and it's related brethren, the Golf and Scirocco, have experienced reliability problems since the 70s.

rw

Personally I don't really care for the Mac look...
    I'm not into the light show either. On the other hand, many folks might consider the plain anodized aluminum faceplates of my Audio Research and VTL gear boring.

rw

About as interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I'm not into the light show either. On the other hand, many folks might consider the plain anodized aluminum faceplates of my Audio Research and VTL gear boring.

rw
    As an asphalt driverway, to look at at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    As an asphalt driverway, to look at at least.
    Gee, I listen to my stuff.

Sorry, couldn't pass it up, maybe the teen newbies are getting to me.

Hey, that's alright!!

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    Gee, I listen to my stuff.

Sorry, couldn't pass it up, maybe the teen newbies are getting to me.
    One thing's for sure: I'm no teen!!

Take note: I'm selling the McIntosh C712, (see my picture above), and keeping the Adcom GFP-750. Now, the latter is a really boring thing to look at.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Choosing a Manufacturer-adcom05sml.jpg  

I'm curious if you've noticed a difference

One thing's for sure: I'm no teen!!

Take note: I'm selling the McIntosh C712, (see my picture above), and keeping the Adcom GFP-750. Now, the latter is a really boring thing to look at.

Between the GFP-750 in powered vs. passive mode?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Late to this topic

I'm definately a MidFi man. I've seen and heard some high priced Swag over the years but I really can't say I've spent much time with any of it. As for products I have a personal relationship with... there's a few...

1. HSU Subwoofers - I've bought and used a good many of their subs and found them to be first rate. I've used Velodyne and others over the years but HSU's my brand of choice.

2. Ohm Speakers - Quirky, different and definately on their own is how I describe this brand. American made and a true "love/hate" relationship. I love them and hate them... wouldn't have it any other way...

3. Onkyo Receivers - They just work for me. I'll probably go Yamaha if/when I ever upgrade but for right now, the three Onkyo receivers I use have never failed to give me what I need and everything I want.

Da Worfster

Passive

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Between the GFP-750 in powered vs. passive mode?
    Geoff, I've been using mostly Passive mode. This works and sounds great!

See my configuration
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Choosing a Manufacturer-stereosysconfig.jpg  

Deja Vu....

Geoff, I've been using mostly Passive mode. This works and sounds great!

See my configuration
    That isn't a LAB 400 by any chance.....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

A what?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    That isn't a LAB 400 by any chance.....
    Uhmm, I'm ignorant: what's a LAB 400?

nightflier
    Worf,

You're the first to mention Ohm. I've been talking with John Strohbeen about the Micro Walsh's and have been a bit hesitant to purchase them because of some things I've heard about build-quality. What do you love/hate about the Ohms?

Tt

Uhmm, I'm ignorant: what's a LAB 400?
    Never mind....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Suspended
    Feanor, forgive me if I missed a post, do you think the 750 sounds better than the Mac?

Hey NF

Worf,

You're the first to mention Ohm. I've been talking with John Strohbeen about the Micro Walsh's and have been a bit hesitant to purchase them because of some things I've heard about build-quality. What do you love/hate about the Ohms?
    You have to understand I don't own any "modern" Ohm Speakers. I have only their vintage speakers. I've Ohm Walsh 2's, 4's and F's that I've rotated in and out of my HT setup over the last 6 years. The build quality of the older speakers is first rate as is their reliabilty in that all of these speakers are over 30 years old! They also look like NO other speaker in the world. I love them... simple as that.

What I don't like is the directionality of their speakers. Due to the down firing woofer and the reflective nature of the tweeter I've found finding a "sweet spot" with Ohms to be problematic. They also seem much more affected by placement and room environment than your standard "box" speaker. Also there's a pronounced increase in bass when go from a seated position to a standing position. Still after all these years I've grown to love and accept Ohm's quirks.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

I owned Ohm F's

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

What I don't like is the directionality of their speakers. Due to the down firing woofer and the reflective nature of the tweeter I've found finding a "sweet spot" with Ohms to be problematic. They also seem much more affected by placement and room environment than your standard "box" speaker. Also there's a pronounced increase in bass when go from a seated position to a standing position. Still after all these years I've grown to love and accept Ohm's quirks.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster
    That was many years ago. I always regretted selling them -- for B&W DM7's no less, what a mistake.

I agree placement can be tricky. That's because they are true omindirectional. For a start, keep then at least 2.5 - 3 feet from any wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information