Suspended

Absolutely amazing car audio system

A friend dropped by last night to hear my gear, we were talking audio and then Dynaudio, he mentioned he had Dynaudio car speakers. I'm like I have to hear this. So I walked out as he got ready to leave and gave it a listen. It was the best car audio system I've ever heard. Not just because it was Dynaudio, it was also quality associated gear and more importantly it was set up correctly. The car had Dynamat throughout and not a resonant or rattle was heard, the music was powerful, clear, and balanced just like a good home system. He was using a top of the line Clarion head unit with built in active crossovers. The amps were custom built by some company in California whose name I forgot. It wasn't something I was familiar with which surprised me, I was big into car audio some years back. The bass was really impressive, it was very powerful while remaining clean and never out of balance with the rest of the response. I was amazed, it was a true high end car audio system so I now know it can be done if you want to throw enough money at it. I didn't want to get out.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Dynaudio is the best I've ever heard in a car as well.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Just curious, what car was it?

I know for a fact they use Dynaudio in the Bugatti Veyron (part of the VW group)

Dynaudio is available in Volvo as well.
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Suspended
    This was a Mitsubishi and the system was totally aftermarket. I can't remember the model but he said it was a rally car. The seats were very cool, it's like once you are in they want you to stay in, I had to work to get up. The bottom was a deep bucket, the sides went almost around your side and the back was high and form fitting.

Sounds like an Evolution with race seats! Nice!

You should give a Volvo stock system a listen, The Premium system is Dolby Pro-Logic II, complete with center channel. Although for some reason I think the center is the only speaker that wasn't a Dynaudio.
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se

Suspended
    That sounds familiar I think you are right.

I used to be into car audio back in the late 80's and early 90's when subs and amps in a car really began to have a higher build quality and the mids and highs and crossovers actually started to have a quality build and form then until now the quality of the components has seemed to get better even though the brand names have changed and the system designs went from a wall of woofers with descent mids and highs to some pretty impressive designs with sound deadening panels and thought put behind the actual natural sound qualities and balance and not how much bass it can produce. I mean the bass heads are still out there but I think it has been a phase that for the most part has past for all but the most untrained ear and untalented installers.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    People who want good sounding car audio is a minority. By far in this area people just want to, boom!

I remember taking my daughter to pick out some speakers and the kid who worked there took us to hear his system. I handed him a Dave Grusin CD, he was so proud of his bass, it was just noise. I took him over to hear my modest system where you could actually depict a bass line and I think he was equally unimpressed

Yes that would be a Lancer Evolution. You should have asked for a drive (or ride), I bet the acceleration would have surprised you more than the sound system

nightflier
    OK, am I the only one wondering about this? Why put such a good sound system in a rally car? To me, one of the most important factors in car audio is having a quiet cabin. The vast majority of cars don't have a quiet cabin, but a rally car hardly seems to be the right fit for a good sounding audio setup.

lol, it's a road going version of the rally car, not an actual rally ready car
    But you're right, it's probably not as quiet as a Bimmer or Merc.

Suspended
    We did ride around the neighborhood. I live at the bottom of a hill and we left up the hill, you are right, acceleration, even up a hill was quite impressive. He did mention the car being light allowed some noise on the highway but the car was Dynamat from stem to sterm. Besides, nothing a little extra SPL couldn't handle.

yeah I have rode in a lancer evo, they are quite the car for a little 4 cylinder all wheel drive car. They have a lot of power to weight ratio and do actually ride pretty quiet when you think about the car they are derived from. I did not get a chance to hear the audio system since it was the performance that my friend was more in to showing me but I am sure if Dynaudio had anything to do with it it sounded good. I will have to give my friend a call and ask him why the hell didn't he let me hear the audio system in his ride.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Harley, the system was all aftermarket. A system like that would add over $10k to the price tag. The guy even used Transparent cable in the car.

I wonder what kind of system he has at home?

Suspended
    His is the system that prompted my Klipsch thread. He has six Jeff Rowland monoblocks driving Klipschorns, three per speaker in a triamp config with active Accuphase crossover. The front end is a Esoteric transport with separate power supply and a DAC for each channel. On the main level he has a Marantz Reference system driving Dynaudio Confidence 4's.

Thread Information