Forum Regular

I am in the midst of an audio buffet of sorts...

I know I've mentioned in other posts that my audio buddy is also an audio retailer. Well, yesterday I had the good fortune to listen to the Naim DAC, with my Stello Transport...hooked up to a prototype new Belles Integrated...with the Reference 3A Episodes.

What an incredibly musically synergistic system this is to listen to. Until last night, I thought the best digital device I had ever heard was the Lektor Tubed CDP. I gotta tell you I did not even miss the tube sound at all through this new configuration. The new Belles prototype is a grand slam and as far as I'm concerned the new forthcoming integrated is going to win a whole bunch of awards and set a new benchmark at the price. The Naim DAC is awesome and I won't even try to review it. You gotta go listen for yourself if there is a Naim dealer near you.

My Stello transport looks really cool and is all that has been advertised and written about already. I am quite elated to have this unit and I will have to later this year get the matching Stello DAC as the Naim DAC is out of my price range.

Since my gear is still over at my buddy's home...he lent me the Naim Uniti to try out. Yep, new in the box...I am gonna bust it out here in a few minutes and hook up the Cambridge Audio S-30's that I bought yesterday and find out what that's all about.

I will let you know my thoughts on the Uniti once I think I have a handle on it.

It's been a fun 24 hours....

Suspended
    Lucky man to have a friend like that. Green with envy

you are very lucky, When I sold higher end stuff and managed a shop through the 90's I used to take gear home all the time to get a feel for the piece and get a thorough evaluation of the performance capabilities of the equipment so I could be of better help to customers and I miss the hell out of being able to do that. Well I will look forward to hearing about the new equipment.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    I miss the employee pricing

yeah I do to that would make it a whole lot easier to go to high end land without having to mortgage it because the markup on audio equipment is huge

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

IRG
    Sounds like a great system, would love to hear that. Wonder if it will rival my new $25 Technics turntable I picked up today

Forum Regular

Hi, congrats on the latest edition to your audio system..

Quote Originally Posted by IRG
    Sounds like a great system, would love to hear that. Wonder if it will rival my new $25 Technics turntable I picked up today
    How's everything coming along?

IRG
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    How's everything coming along?
    Good! The 902i's arrived today, just unboxed them. They look really nice, quite petite compared to my Paradigm Monitor 3s, but a better size for this room. The Yamaha Dvd S1800 also arrived today. Just waiting on the Onkyo receiver, cables, cartridge and speaker stands (all ordered) and I should be good to go. Going to do a little room treatment this weekend.

Forum Regular

Mini updates on the audio festival....

No question the Naim Uniti is a great product..very resolute at very low volume. With regard to menu options on the unit.. you can select from 3 speaker types...large, large with sub, or small with sub...you can set the Max volume up to the number, 100, then select okay. The uniti has many inputs.. 3 analog, phono, DAB/FM, ipod, 4 digital ( 2 of which are coax), Wifi, and a network socket. Ouputs options...2 subwoofer outputs!!

Speaker connectivity is for one pair of speakers only...removable power cord and the power switch is behind the unit on the upper right side. The remote is nicely laid out and has an excellent transmitter as you just need to point in the general direction of the Uniti to engage it. With regard to the menu's...options to select preferred language, presets for the FM, and a special area of the remote for file selection while using ipod or UPnP (servers).

The sound is classic Naim. PRAT, resolute, utterly enjoyable. The mid's were the first to come in and of course there is much more break in time needed as I've only played it for about 40 hours or so.

Quirks...there is no on/off button on the remote or a standby mode either....the whole dang thing weighs like a slab of granite...man, it's rather heavy for it's size....the unit gets quite warm...like warm - hot to the touch....much attention to proper ventilation is priority one with this unit. ....even the CD's feel like "toast' coming out of the CD drawer. ...the player is very silent in operation but makes noise when spinning up the disk to get started or when the CD is over and it spins down....no big deal...that's just what it does.

That's it for now on the Uniti.

Hi Roy!
    Once again, sweet write up. thanks!

Forum Regular

Hello A.A.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Hi Roy!
    Once again, sweet write up. thanks!
    You're welcome.

Thread Information