Thread: CD vs DVD

Forum Regular

CD vs DVD

My CD player died. Looking around it seems that DVDs are the same or cheaper than CDs. Any +s or -s to buying one over the other, other than one also plays DVDs? I'm looking at 5 disk or 6 disk changers under $200. My receiver is a Onkyo 702 and yes, I have a single disk DVD.
    Thanks Dale

You can get Sony's 300 mega-disk CD player for about $200. Great features and since you already have a DVD player, why not?

You have an Onkyo 702 receiver, why not check out the Onkyo 702 DVD player? $163 is today's price:
    http://www.onecall.com/productsearch...wAdvanced=true

I love my 702..great DVD player plus it plays MP3/WMA's randomly from all discs or just one disc which seemed to be a problem on other players I tried. It also has CD mode, so if you load up 3 DVD's and 3 CD's it will just play from the CD's and skip over the DVD's. Great player.

But like Paul said, if you're totally happy with your DVD player you could always just add a mega CD changer. They are a pain if you will be taking discs in and out a lot, but if you plan to put them in and leave them then it's nice as long as you can remember where all your discs are. I have an Excel spreadsheet for my mega changer (it's only for DVD's though).

I vote for a CD-R with a hard drive. I love mine. It stores over 100 CD's and leaves you with the originals to keep in your car. I even ripped copies for the wife in no time at all.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    You have an Onkyo 702 receiver, why not check out the Onkyo 702 DVD player? $163 is today's price:

I love my 702..great DVD player plus it plays MP3/WMA's randomly from all discs or just one disc which seemed to be a problem on other players I tried. It also has CD mode, so if you load up 3 DVD's and 3 CD's it will just play from the CD's and skip over the DVD's. Great player.

But like Paul said, if you're totally happy with your DVD player you could always just add a mega CD changer. They are a pain if you will be taking discs in and out a lot, but if you plan to put them in and leave them then it's nice as long as you can remember where all your discs are. I have an Excel spreadsheet for my mega changer (it's only for DVD's though).
    Actually you can plug a standard PC keyboard into the Sony and type in titles for each disc, although a database is nice as well. And for CD text CDs made on the computer and some recent commerccial releases, the player will automatically read and display CD title and individual tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia

What happend to your Marantz player ? I thought you loved that thing.

Forum Regular
    OK, seems like you all say there are no general +s or -s between CD and DVD so I'll just look at individual features. The Onkyo 702 sounds good with the CD only feature. The 300 disk Sony might be nice but I saw the measurements on one like it and I think it is too deep. Anyway I like looking at the covers to help me decide what to listen to.
    Thanks

Thread Information