AR Newbie Registered Member

Alternative to wireless speakers - Possible?

Ok, I understand wireless speaker setups have compromised quality. Are there any products available that will send a signal from a receiver in one room to a multi zone amp in another room. (I think Russound has a nice multi zone amp). From the amp I can run wires to my speakers in other rooms.

If there is such a product, would the quality be better than running wireless straight to the speakers?

Any help is appreciated!

Forum Regular
    I think you'll still have a problem with the recieving unit playing a bad signal, with hiss, drop outs and all the other ills of wireless. To me its still amazing that my laptop plays audio/video close to perfect in wifi mode, yet there are no comparbale wireless audio systems on the market. Argh! I'm with you on this brother. For now wired is the only way to go. Can you run the wires under carpet or behind baseboard? A compromise in wire gage for a long run is preferable to wireless in my book.

If you're using a separate processor and amp in different rooms, and want to use that processor to send the signal to the amp, then the only alternatives to doing the long interconnect run are installed wall plates that still require long cable runs through the walls. This is probably what you would wind up using in a multizone installation anyway.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=251

Using wireless speakers is a poor alternative because all of the ones I'm aware of use analog broadcast frequencies.

If you don't care about having one processor/receiver controlling all of the signal outputs, then another alternative would be to setup a digital media server. The Slim Devices Squeezebox is a network music player very popular with people on this board for its ease of use and good sound quality. It also works with wireless access points.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I have an Olive music server, they claim to be able to run digital wirless to several rooms playing different music from the server. I haven't done this, but maybe a visit to their site? http://www.olive.us/p_bin/index.php?...FQZuYAodji8Mrw

Or does anyone here have a music server that they use to send wireless to other rooms?
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    You can always tell when it summer........folks start talking about wireless systems for the backyard, deck or patio. Maybe this summer someone will find a good solution. Keep watching the titles in this section.

Forum Regular

Squeezebox + Panasonic Powerline ethernet..

Not cheap but I'm using a Squeezebox and a Panasonic powerline network device. Panasonic claims enough bandwidth to send HD video but I haven't confirmed. The price is a little easier to justify when you consider that you can use it later for a pc or video source. I'm using it to send audio to another room and it works great. http://tinyurl.com/3c2xkd

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagump
    Not cheap but I'm using a Squeezebox and a Panasonic powerline network device. Panasonic claims enough bandwidth to send HD video but I haven't confirmed. The price is a little easier to justify when you consider that you can use it later for a pc or video source. I'm using it to send audio to another room and it works great. http://tinyurl.com/3c2xkd
    I have a friend who owns that same panasonic adapter and it's awesome. Completely removes an interference and the speakers displays a great sound. I'd recommend that to anyone.

bubba - curious, what distance are the rooms?

Thread Information