AR Newbie Registered Member

To buy or not to buy new DVD player

I am upgrading my home audio system. I have an Arcam AVR200 receiver, Klipsch RF 7 speakers and an NHT 10 inch sub with the NHT separate amp. I am currently using a 3 year old Sony DVD player as my CD transport. I am using the DAC's in the Arcam via an upgraded digital interconnect. I have also upgraded the speaker cables. My question is will I hear an improvement in audio CD's if I upgrade the DVD player to a Denon 2200 or similar device and use the Burr Brown DAC's in it vs the DAC's in the Arcam receiver? I am not concerned about SACD, I still think that music sounds best in 2 channel. thanks

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsousley
    I am upgrading my home audio system. I have an Arcam AVR200 receiver, Klipsch RF 7 speakers and an NHT 10 inch sub with the NHT separate amp. I am currently using a 3 year old Sony DVD player as my CD transport. I am using the DAC's in the Arcam via an upgraded digital interconnect. I have also upgraded the speaker cables. My question is will I hear an improvement in audio CD's if I upgrade the DVD player to a Denon 2200 or similar device and use the Burr Brown DAC's in it vs the DAC's in the Arcam receiver? I am not concerned about SACD, I still think that music sounds best in 2 channel. thanks
    I agree that stereo is the better format for audio, but if your going to upgrade your DVD player, at least get one with DVD-Audio capabilities. DVD-A is also a 2-channel format, and has the highest resolution in this mode.

As to CD's sounding better with a different player; I would consider a dedicated CD player with 24bit DAC's. Arcam makes some great ones!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Wow, hard call. I like Burr Brown converters. I like the warm sound they tend to have. You are comparing units that are built on the fact that sound quality is their priority. If it was me, I would go with the Arcam unit. Either way, you won't go wrong. Music is definitely better in stereo.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsousley

Naw, play with room acoustics for improvements, not your good components, or wires which is a total waste.
    2 channel was obsolete in the 1930s when it was demonstrated by Bell Labs that you need at least 3 front speakers. The technology just caught up recently though
    mtrycrafts

Suspended
    I would think in order to improve over the sound of the Arcam receiver's DAC you would have to buy a high quality unit. Not only should you consider the DAC but also the analog output. The Arcam receiver has a nice output stage. Unfortunately to get a DVD player that truly performs well on CD it costs. I understand Arcam has a new DVD player out that costs around $999. that the CD output compares to their $699. stand alone CDP.

Forum Regular
    Buy a model with DVI which is for high definition. The rest will be history soon.

Thread Information