Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simmel
    "Sceptic" person who habitually doubts generally accepted beliefs.

Collins English Dictionary
    There are quite a few English words that have slightly different accepted spelling depending upon which side of pond you reside, such as:

sceptic -- skeptic
    analise -- analyze
    organise -- organize
    favourite -- favorite
    rumour -- rumor
    centre -- center
    theatre -- theater
    manoeuvre - manuever
    catalogue -- catalog
    anaemia -- anemia
    tyre -- tire

We Americans wonder things like why is "lieutenant" pronounced with an "F"?

rw

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Not only is your command of english poor, so is your math. You have lived 9/10ths of your life in Fance, not 18/20ths
    I think AA (he is a university student) was trying to relate that the first 18 of his 20 years on the planet Earth were spent living in France. I think his English is excellent considering this fact, especially knowing that if he had uttered even a single word of English in those first 18 years it would have been off to the guillotine for him. In fact, his English is so good, I had no idea for a long time that he was not a native English speaker.

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 02-14-2009 at 12:13 PM.

I too found no problems with AA's grammar...and wondered why the criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    In the meantime, I'll continue listening to, and enjoying, my Marantz SA-8001. It's one of the best pieces of audio equipment I've ever purchased and is the only piece of gear that has a Stereophile Class-A Recommendation, which I consider quite something, especially when one looks as the astronomical price tags (often over $25,000) for other gear with the same recommendation.

Peace.
    I'm glad that you continue to enjoy the SA-8001. But, dont buy into that Stereophile's classification. It's absolutely meaningless without considering rest of the system. I, too, own the SA-8001 and it sounds muddy in my system, but it sounds like a perfect match in your system though. Class A in your system, Class C in mine. I think I need to get a different player, instead of complaining about. Anyhow, congrats.

JRA

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    There are quite a few English words that have slightly different accepted spelling depending upon which side of pond you reside, such as:

sceptic -- skeptic
    analise -- analyze
    organise -- organize
    favourite -- favorite
    rumour -- rumor
    centre -- center
    theatre -- theater
    manoeuvre - manuever
    catalogue -- catalog
    anaemia -- anemia
    tyre -- tire

rw
    One thing that throws me sometimes is the American use of the word 'check'. To me, the word 'cheque' and 'check' have two quite different meanings, whereas Americans use the word 'check' in both cases. ie: I might write a cheque for $100, but make a check on the weather, for example.

I remember as a student reading a passage in a textbook, which said something like 'a check is made for the balance'. It didn't make any sense at first, until we realised that the book was American.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

As for us

sceptic -- skeptic
    analise -- analyze
    organise -- organize
    favourite -- favorite
    rumour -- rumor
    centre -- center
    theatre -- theater
    manoeuvre - manuever
    catalogue -- catalog
    anaemia -- anemia
    tyre -- tire

rw

We Canadians tend to be somewhere mid-Atlantic. So for example we tend to use ...
    cheque
    centre
    theatre
    favourite

on the one hand, but on the other ...
    tire, (viz. "Canadian Tire Corporation")
    catalog
    manuever
    analyze
    criticize (vs.UK, criticise)
    civilization (vs. UK, civilisation).

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    One thing that throws me sometimes is the American use of the word 'check'. To me, the word 'cheque' and 'check' have two quite different meanings, whereas Americans use the word 'check' in both cases. ie: I might write a cheque for $100, but make a check on the weather, for example.
    The word "check" is one of those words with lots of meanings both as noun and verb. Like one of our ex-presidents said of another: It depends...

rw

Suspended
    Huh.

A derailed thread that I had nothing to do with.

I must be getting old.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    We Canadians tend to be somewhere mid-Atlantic. So for example we tend to use ...
    cheque
    centre
    theatre
    favourite

on the one hand, but on the other ...
    tire, (viz. "Canadian Tire Corporation")
    catalog
    manuever
    analyze
    criticize (vs.UK, criticise)
    civilization (vs. UK, civilisation).

I tend to use the English spellings, because that was the way I was taught. (I was also born there.)

Here in Australia, the following are fairly standard usage:-

cheque
    centre
    theatre
    favourite
    tyre

American style spellings seem to be creeping in for some other words, although both spellings are often used, eg:-

color (UK colour)
    harbor (UK harbour)
    criticize (UK criticise)

etc.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Thanks for the defence guys it feels like I'm back in time being confronted by my parents and having my elder siblings take my defence and speak for me

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I think AA (he is a university student) was trying to relate that the first 18 of his 20 years on the planet Earth were spent living in France. I think his English is excellent considering this fact, especially knowing that if he had uttered even a single word of English in those first 18 years it would have been off to the guillotine for him. :
    okay, there's a little exageration in that
    Actually both my parents are native English speakers, one being American and the other British. Even though I spoke most of the time in French (at school etc), I would speak mostly English with my parents.

nightflier

My French is a little rusty, but....

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Actually both my parents are native English speakers, one being American and the other British. Even though I spoke most of the time in French (at school etc), I would speak mostly English with my parents.
    9/10, or 18/20, peu importe. Je croix que c'est un peu injurieux que vous ne possédez pas au moins une seule pièce d'équipement Français. Ce n'est quand même pas qu'il n'y a pas assez de choix! Et ce serais utile d'avoir une autre voix pour leur description - on en a bien besoin après avoir jeté tout ce bon vin Français à la demande du Cowboy de Texas ces dernières années, .

Impressive Nightflier!

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    9/10, or 18/20, peu importe. Je croix que c'est un peu injurieux que vous ne possédez pas au moins une seule pièce d'équipement Français. Ce n'est quand même pas qu'il n'y a pas assez de choix! Et ce serais utile d'avoir une autre voix pour leur description - on en a bien besoin après avoir jeté tout ce bon vin Français à la demande du Cowboy de Texas ces dernières années, .
    What a suprise! Did you get any help writing that?
    Yes, I guess it is a little insulting to not have any French equipment. Actually, i'm not sure 'injurieux' is the correct expression, but I sure understood.
    Are you talking about Rich in the last sentence?

nightflier
    Just practicing my French. Lived in Andrésy, a little spec on the Seine in the same department as Versailles for a few years. But at least I've owned a Micromega CDP, Monsieur!

Yes, that was a jab at Tex, but don't tell him. Once he finds someone to translate it, he might get angry enough to drive down here with his Hummer, break into my wine cellar, pour out my priceless collection of Bordeaux, and fill the bottles with Wallmart-brand whiteZin-in-a-box, just to screw with me. And then I'd have to kick him where it counts, and, well, people here like him to much to let him live the rest of his days screeching like a soprano.

Did you get any help writing that?
    Maintenant pour le version pathetique! J'ai trois ans du Francais a l'ecole trente ans le plus hier. Ce probleme est il n'est pas le temp pour utiliser le Francais ici a d'Etats Unis. Merds pas. ?Quelle surprise.

raoul

Je ne sais pas ecrivez les accents egu et grave sur le keyboard.
    Last edited by E-Stat; 02-19-2009 at 06:27 PM.

RGA
    Forum Regular

sceptic -- skeptic
    analise -- analyze
    organise -- organize
    favourite -- favorite
    rumour -- rumor
    centre -- center
    theatre -- theater
    manoeuvre - manuever
    catalogue -- catalog
    anaemia -- anemia
    tyre -- tire

rw
    If you're Canadian it's worse because there is a mix of rules between the two countries. Argghhh We spell Tire as Tire but we spell Center as Center and I personally use the Z in organize but some Canucks use S.

Funny!

Maintenant pour le version pathetique! J'ai trois ans du Francais a l'ecole trente ans le plus hier. Ce probleme est il n'est pas le temp pour utiliser le Francais ici a d'Etats Unis. Merds pas. ?Quelle surprise.

raoul

Je ne sais pas ecrivez les accents egu et grave sur le keyboard.
    A+ for the effort. 30 years since your French classes eh? Well bravo. I can imagine it ain't easy to practise it in the US.
    So your name's Raoul?
    Indeed, accents are a little tricky to do with a US Keyboard. Actually, I can't do them most of the time unless I switch to the French layout (I have a US Dell). I can however with Word and msn messenger, among other programs. For the aigu, it's Ctrl and ' at the same time then e. For grave, Ctrl with ` and then e.

To get back on topic; If you were to set me on fire, I'm sure that my sound would change as I became burned-in.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    To get back on topic; If you were to set me on fire, I'm sure that my sound would change as I became burned-in.
    I'd like to test that theory...

A+ for the effort. 30 years since your French classes eh? Well bravo. I can imagine it ain't easy to practise it in the US.
    I tried a bit two years ago on a Air France flight to Edinburgh when ordering wine, but when the attractive flight attendant responded, she went over my head tres vite and returned to speaking English when she saw the deer-in-the-headlights look on my face. I can read it s-l-o-w-l-y and digest, but it seems Parisian French is run at light speed.

So your name's Raoul?
    Rough equivalent.

rw

Do I get to go Up in Smoke?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Time to shake things up!

A couple of years ago I made some speaker cables from some CAT-5 Ultra I had laying around. About 30 hours into using them I heard a dramatic change in the middle of a song. It was as if a lot of spiky nasty sounding grit went away. I know you may be wondering what I was smoking. That's irrelevant. I heard a dramatic change. I was playing my Gold 20Bit Sony re-issue of Kind Of Blue. This is music I'm so familiar with I hum the solo's as they're being played. I have heard no other changes since then with those cables.

How about that, burn in and cable differences in one shot. I've got my bullet proof vest on. Let's hear it!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    TI know you may be wondering what I was smoking. That's irrelevant.
    It's very relevant... cuz I want some of that stuff!!! It might even make setting GM on fire more enjoyable (assuming that's possible)...

I was smoking a cowboy killer (Marlboro). I was also drinking a Chimay.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

For some reason, I don't feel safe anymore.

Chimay never hurt anyone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information