Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    I know absolutely nothing about dacs. So, if I have a Yamaha rxv-1400 and a Denon 2200 Universal DVD player, a separate dac would make a noticable difference? The speakers are Ar.coms in a 6.1 setup with a 15 inch sealed DIY Subwoofer.
    I have not heard your receiver, I did once own an all Denon separates system and I found it too bright and harsh for my tastes. The few Denon pieces I have heard all had this same sonic signature, which I can best describe as sounding "hot". All receivers I have ever heard using internal DACs did not compare to any good stand alone CD players or to sytems with external DACs.

I'm reluctant to trash all manufacturers of all in one boxes; but my guess is that there is so much going on inside the box that they fail to optimize each function independently. I've also felt for years that way too much energy and money was being spent on fancy multicolor bar graphs and other exotic display gee wizz stuff.

I think you will find that a well regarded CD only player or your player with a decent DAC will have smoother, more detailed and involving sound. The kind of sound that invites me at least, to turn down the lights, maybe a candle or two, some wine and a long listening session. Wow, some of those guys can really make music; this in a nutshell is difference between artistry and Pop.

Many audiophiles prefer separates instead of all in one designs, this is presumably because most of them think it sounds better. There is a second reason, with separates you can upgrade one piece at a time. While this may not be the wisest financial technique it does allow those of use with real world financial resources to buy truly high quality sound systems one piece at a time.

ps: One scary note, with separates you will have the pleasure of being introduced to the whole world of analog cables and the raging debates of what difference they make, may you survive unscathed

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I never twisted the tread to transports. In fact i recommended a DAC which is very good indeed. I never mentioned something about 5K for him. I simply said that a Transport is important too and for the future he might upgrade it since some people just say its not important. You guys need to get a life instead of bashing me for having expensive equipment.
    The transport that you brought up costs $5,500, so you indeed did mention something in that price range. You twisted the thread when you talked about how anyone should be able to hear a difference between transports using ANY DAC. I simply pointed out a contradiction in the points you were making, since you admitted that using that receiver, an upgraded transport wouldn't do any good. Well, that receiver has DACs inside, right? And did say that transports would produce audible differences with ANY DAC, right?

As usual, you try to presume that we're somehow attacking you because you own expensive equipment, when in fact, you're getting called out for making contradictory comments that are irrelevant to the topic at hand. Even with your expensive equipment, you haven't shown an ability to stay on topic and stay consistent with your comments, only self-aggrandizing and ego-gratification under the guise of "educating" people.

I know absolutely nothing about dacs. So, if I have a Yamaha rxv-1400 and a Denon 2200 Universal DVD player, a separate dac would make a noticable difference? The speakers are Ar.coms in a 6.1 setup with a 15 inch sealed DIY Subwoofer.
    As I pointed out earlier, the benefit of using an external DAC depends on whether you're using the receiver's bass management to crossover the signal that goes to the subwoofer. If you listen to your CDs without the subwoofer, then you might benefit from an external DAC. With a subwoofer, you likely won't benefit at all from an external DAC because the bass management is all handled by your receiver.

Thumbs up speakers

"But remember the weakest link in your system should get the $$$ FIRST! And speakers from my experience get the most dramatic bang for buck as far as upgrading sound goes. "
    Pogue

Are you saying my speakers aren't up to snuff?...
    a tear drops into my cereal

Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I might try finding a used dac and give it a try. I put too much time into building these speakers to replace them for now- it will happen within a year or so though.

built your speakers???

oh heck no...the DOGS gotta go first then!..lol

to be honest I didn't even look at that...my point was that in the scheme of things I seem greater difference in speakers than any other component, especially when you factor in the $$ spend...but my friend if you took the time effort and have the passion to build your own speakers...me hats off to you!! In fact Gonefishin' speakers are some of the finest I've seen...and I'm sure they sound just as awesome!!! The only thing I've ever build was a Peanut Butter Sandwich and I ate that...soooo I guess I'll just remain being a "Audio Vulture"...

Now no more tears fer breakfast...and pass the Jelly!
    Pogue

"But remember the weakest link in your system should get the $$$ FIRST! And speakers from my experience get the most dramatic bang for buck as far as upgrading sound goes. "
    Pogue

Are you saying my speakers aren't up to snuff?...
    a tear drops into my cereal

Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. I might try finding a used dac and give it a try. I put too much time into building these speakers to replace them for now- it will happen within a year or so though.
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information