Best Review Lines

Printable View

  • 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
    Ajani
    Best Review Lines
    What are some of the best lines you've heard in a review? The ones that made you laugh or forced you to audition or (perish the thought) buy a product?

    I was reading a review of the Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblocks on Secrets of Hometheatre and came across this gem of a conclusion:

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chris Groppi
    They are some of the best amplifiers I have ever heard, period, and they will have to be be pried out of my cold, dead fingers.

    I wonder if he liked the amps? :ciappa:
  • 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
    Tarheel_
    I tend to think they all sound/read alike. They almost always love the product and either don't want to send it back or decided to purchase it.

    The one reviewer i really enjoyed reading was Chris Lewis when he wrote for Home Theater Magazine. He always had a great opening to the review which was fresh and original. Too bad he left them and the mag has gone down hill since. Many reasons for that though.
  • 03-15-2010, 05:49 AM
    GMichael
    What I've noticed is that when something is cheap or inexpensive, they love it to death. If it's expensive as h.ll it gets picked appart a little more.
    (As it should be I guess)
  • 03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GMichael
    What I've noticed is that when something is cheap or inexpensive, they love it to death. If it's expensive as h.ll it gets picked appart a little more.
    (As it should be I guess)

    Or not. You could see this as condescension towards inexpensive equipment from reviewers who normally do high-end. It works against meaningful comparisons among moderately priced components. TAS and Stereophile practice this a lot.
  • 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor
    Or not. You could see this as condescension towards inexpensive equipment from reviewers who normally do high-end. It works against meaningful comparisons among moderately priced components. TAS and Stereophile practice this a lot.

    It's a tough call for me. If something cost 10 times as much, I expect more as well. But as you say, it makes comparisons hard. It's amost like we need two reviews for each. One based on pure merit, the other on bang for the buck.
  • 03-16-2010, 03:46 AM
    harley .guy07
    Part of the picking apart thing I can understand in a way. After the 2500 dollars mark seems to be the point where the amount of better sound for your money seems to diminish to a certain degree. It is there but not a drastic of a difference as say a 500 dollar Sony receiver compared to a 1500 dollar integrated amplifier from Vincent. I think some reviewers seem to target components that do way more or better than their price usually allows and like the fact that it tells them there is some products out there that are worth every penny and keep the high end companies honest as to what product they are really giving you for your high end dollars. I am not saying every reviewer is like that and that some reviews aren't tailored to help advertising in their publication because I am sure this happens quite a bit as well.
  • 03-16-2010, 04:34 AM
    Worf101
    Well here's a few.
    These were coined by me.... I think.

    "Quiet as a mouse pissin' on cotton".

    "A manual obviously written by dyslectic chimps."

    "Controls so complicated as to make Einstein take up drinkin'"

    "The only thing missing in the box was a good Chinese to English Dictionary."

    That's all for now.

    Da Worfster
  • 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101
    These were coined by me.... I think.

    "Quiet as a mouse pissin' on cotton".

    "A manual obviously written by dyslectic chimps."

    "Controls so complicated as to make Einstein take up drinkin'"

    "The only thing missing in the box was a good Chinese to English Dictionary."

    That's all for now.

    Da Worfster

    as quiet as a mouse pissing on cotton!! haha I'll definitely be using that one in the future! Thanks for the laugh:)
  • 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
    02audionoob
    Of the VPI Classic (compared to digital), Steve Guttenberg of Stereophile said, "It's a lot more fun to listen to."
  • 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM
    winston
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101
    These were coined by me.... I think.

    "Quiet as a mouse pissin' on cotton".

    "A manual obviously written by dyslectic chimps."

    "Controls so complicated as to make Einstein take up drinkin'"

    "The only thing missing in the box was a good Chinese to English Dictionary."

    That's all for now.

    Da Worfster

    :D :smilewinkgrin: :lol: :lol: :D Worf" your Brutal??!!
  • 03-18-2010, 03:46 AM
    Worf101
    Welp..
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by winston
    :D :smilewinkgrin: :lol: :lol: :D Worf" your Brutal??!!

    Ah thank you, ah thank you. I appreciate the love.

    Worf