Buying help...

Just recently ordered a new system for computer based audio:

- Clones Audio 55pm mono blocks
    - Clone Audio AP1 preamp
    - Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC
    - Mac Mini with Clones Audio mPSU power supply
    - KEF LS50 speakers
    - Custom Design SF104 Signature stands

I need cables - speakers cables, power cables, and interconnects.

I'm based in Japan, but it's not an issue to order globally.

Without the argument of whether cables are cables no matter the price vs. you get what you pay for - I still have a budget, and as much as I'd love to have $1000 speaker cables, it's not gonna happen.

I was looking at Black Cat (USA) speaker and interconnects. And Zonotone (JPN) power cables.

But then started wondering about Audioquest, if they're any good.

But of course the more reviews I read, it opens the flood gates completely.

I need advice big time!!!

Suspended
    Audioquest is a long time reputable MFG but they have entry level cables and mega buck cables. I have a few pairs of Sidewinders in non critical areas but cannot speak to the higher end wires. Never heard of the other 2 brands you listed.

I agree, look at AQ but also consider Blue Jeans cables Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices and look at Cullen for power cords- Home Buy the BJC's bare 10 or 12 gauge speaker wire and terminate them your self with their banana plugs. I use this in my main system.

I know a guy that has a Cullen power cord and he states it compares to cords costing hundreds more. The Gold series is supposed to be the warmest according to my email conversation with the owner Patrick Cullen. I will be buying one of these in the near future.

I have heard of Black Cat and almost bought a pair. They are supposed to be similar in sound to the Cardas Micro Twin ic's which is a slightly warmer sound.

Also consider Analysis Plus oval one IC's.

I would put most of the money to IC's, that is where you will get the most bang for the buck. Then speaker cables and lastly power cords. Just remember, all IC's, cables and cords are system dependent. I tend to favor IC's that have a warmer, detailed sound as digital music can be bright sounding. Blue Jean IC's are not warm but more neutral. I find their Belden speaker wire to be dead neutral. BJ's also makes great digital Coax cables and HDMI cables.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-27-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho.greengiento View Post
    Just recently ordered a new system for computer based audio:

- Clones Audio 55pm mono blocks
    - Clone Audio AP1 preamp
    - Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC
    - Mac Mini with Clones Audio mPSU power supply
    - KEF LS50 speakers
    - Custom Design SF104 Signature stands

I need cables - speakers cables, power cables, and interconnects.

I'm based in Japan, but it's not an issue to order globally.

Without the argument of whether cables are cables no matter the price vs. you get what you pay for - I still have a budget, and as much as I'd love to have $1000 speaker cables, it's not gonna happen.
    I need advice big time!!!
    I don't say that cables can make no difference, but I will say among the low-medium prices cable, ($35-200), I have heard no noticeable difference. Some might say I'm deaf, but in self-defence I can say I have heard differences among amplifiers, preamplfiers, DACs, vacuum tubes, and even opamps, but not low-medium cost cables.

I would speculate that expensive cables, especially those that employ various filtering method such as from MIT and Transparent, will noticeably modify the sound. But I'd also guess that particular combination of up- and down-stream components they are used with determine whether these differences are good or bad.

I agree with blackraven the interconnects and speaker cables will make more difference than power cords. However you money is generally better spent elsewhere, including on filtering RMI and EMI. In case of IC look for low capacitance (if this info is available) and shielding. Shorter cables are likely to better than long except in the case of S/PDIF coaxial cables which should be at 1.5 meters. USB cables should never be longer than 5 meters which is the official length limitation.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I've thought about my options and have decided to go with AudioQuest cables:

NRG-2 Power Cables
    Carbon USB
    Rocket 88 or Go-4 Speaker Cables
    Interconnects still looking at models in the same range

Here's something to toss in the mix...

Here in Japan, we are 100vac at 50hz (eastern is 50 / western 60). My audio gear is 115vac, but handmade Clones Audio gear and the guy behind CA said it won't be an issue. Do you agree or should I get a step-up converter to go from 100vac to 115vac?

If I bought a power strip from USA - say from Cullen Cable - if adding a plug adapter to go from 3P to 2P - should it be any issue?

Thread Information