Forum Regular

Question about component video switching

So, here's the scenario:

DVD, VCR, Cable Box going into the receiver, which the person i'm helping will be using for video switching, going out to a projector.

So, hypothetically, let's say I use component video cables for DVD to Reciever, Composite for Cable to Reciever, and S-Video for VCR to Reciever, do I need to run all three from the reciever to the projector? Or is the reciever "smart" enough to carry any kind of video input through a component cable I hook up on the OUT to the projector?

I guess in short, will the reciever take any video in and covert it to any OUT that I have out to the projector, or do I have to match cable for cable, or does it depend on the reciever?

Thanks!

a hell of an engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by midfiguy
    So, here's the scenario:

DVD, VCR, Cable Box going into the receiver, which the person i'm helping will be using for video switching, going out to a projector.

So, hypothetically, let's say I use component video cables for DVD to Reciever, Composite for Cable to Reciever, and S-Video for VCR to Reciever, do I need to run all three from the reciever to the projector? Or is the reciever "smart" enough to carry any kind of video input through a component cable I hook up on the OUT to the projector?

I guess in short, will the reciever take any video in and covert it to any OUT that I have out to the projector, or do I have to match cable for cable, or does it depend on the reciever?

Thanks!
    It depends on the receiver. Newer and more expensive receivers have converters built in. Older and less expensive receivers do not. You will probably need to connect both the S-Video and Component Video outputs to the TV. You may need to connect the Composite Video output as well. Check the receiver manual.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't think my older Denon 4800 and Marantz SR8000 do "advanced" video switching, just regular.

But my friend is looking at the new SR5500, which I think does.

Thanks again.

Red face My Onkyo's do "shift on the fly".

Both my 898 and 797 do component "upgrade" to allow me to watch anything when the TV's switched to Component input. It's a nice feature, partcularly for the HiDef set in the bedroom.

Da Worfster

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Both my 898 and 797 do component "upgrade" to allow me to watch anything when the TV's switched to Component input. It's a nice feature, partcularly for the HiDef set in the bedroom.

Da Worfster
    So on my Denon 2805,all the stuff i have going into my Denon,i only need 1 cable to my TV as the Denon will convert anything into the single cable?
    Look & Listen

a hell of an engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    So on my Denon 2805,all the stuff i have going into my Denon,i only need 1 cable to my TV as the Denon will convert anything into the single cable?
    According to this Denon AVR-2805 Product Sheet, the answer is yes as long as that one cable is a three wire component video cable.

Thread Information