Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I went in the Magnolia at the BB near my old home in NJ today. Didn't see any Krell or McIntosh (wasn't looking closely) but they had a nice selection of Martin Logan and Vienna.
    Like I said, you'll find those higher end products inside the standalone Magnolia locations, which are ALL located on the west coast. The Magnolia mini-stores inside BB only carry a portion of Magnolia's full product lineup.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Avid Listener Registered Member perry2070's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I went in the Magnolia at the BB near my old home in NJ today. Didn't see any Krell or McIntosh (wasn't looking closely) but they had a nice selection of Martin Logan and Vienna.
    I went into a couple of Magnolia listening rooms. You have to ask to hear anything. That is, except the time I went in and was about to put in one of their demo CD's and demo a system myself. That got their attention - like I don't know what I'm doing and they do? One of the rooms had their setup so bad, that my wife's Kenwood bookshelf speakers sounded better than the Vienna and Martin Logan's they had set up. First, I had to tell the guy that only one channel was playing. Then, I asked the guy if he was sure the receiver was set right. He had no idea!
    You'd think they would at least try to sell a $1500 set of speakers to someone who brings their own demo CD's in.

Quote Originally Posted by perry2070
    I went into a couple of Magnolia listening rooms. You have to ask to hear anything. That is, except the time I went in and was about to put in one of their demo CD's and demo a system myself. That got their attention - like I don't know what I'm doing and they do? One of the rooms had their setup so bad, that my wife's Kenwood bookshelf speakers sounded better than the Vienna and Martin Logan's they had set up. First, I had to tell the guy that only one channel was playing. Then, I asked the guy if he was sure the receiver was set right. He had no idea!
    You'd think they would at least try to sell a $1500 set of speakers to someone who brings their own demo CD's in.
    YOU might know what you're doing, but the majority of the customers that roll through BB DON'T know what they're doing.

The problem is usually not the setup. Rather, the problem is customers going into the demo rooms and messing around with the equipment settings. And it's not necessarily easy to keep track of all the setup menu options for every piece of equipment that the store carries, especially with receivers that use that OSD menus while the units' video outputs are not plugged in.

From what I've seen, the Magnolia demo rooms inside BB are setup similarly from store to store. The rooms themselves are well designed with acoustical treatments in place. They will vary with the equipment on the floor, and they all use a touchscreen system that does all of the component switching and keeps track of the different components. But, that does nothing to stop customers from tinkering with the components themselves.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I have found that shops selling high end audio are almost like car dealers. I'm a professional in a high income job but when I go into a car dealer or audio shop wearing jeans, tennis shoes and T shirt, I don't get good service or respect. But when I go into the same places wearing nice clothes and maybe even a sport coat and tie that the sales people swarm all over you. Its unfortunate but your appearance is equated with money and sales.
    This is true. It's why when I want to go look at cars without having a Salesman up my butt, I always dress down and bring a friend in nice clothes. By time the Salesmen have figured out that I'm the buyer, I've already seen what I wanted to see. This way I don't have to be bothered with them on cars I'm not interested in. Once I find a car I like, then it will be known why I'm there.
    Many of my friends are pilots who make nice money. Most of them wear jeans and T-shirts when not flying. Salesmen should wise up to this.
    I was wearing Jeans that day in Albany but still got great service.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Avid Listener Registered Member perry2070's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    YOU might know what you're doing, but the majority of the customers that roll through BB DON'T know what they're doing.

The problem is usually not the setup. Rather, the problem is customers going into the demo rooms and messing around with the equipment settings. And it's not necessarily easy to keep track of all the setup menu options for every piece of equipment that the store carries, especially with receivers that use that OSD menus while the units' video outputs are not plugged in.

From what I've seen, the Magnolia demo rooms inside BB are setup similarly from store to store. The rooms themselves are well designed with acoustical treatments in place. They will vary with the equipment on the floor, and they all use a touchscreen system that does all of the component switching and keeps track of the different components. But, that does nothing to stop customers from tinkering with the components themselves.
    I agree.
    But if you are trying to infuse some high-end equipment into your store, there should be someone there at all times so that the equipment is not tweaked, and the receivers/players are ready to demo your screens and speakers. The setup they have in their listening room is actually quite impressive, and the other store I visited did have everything done right. The salesman at that store also knew how to describe Martin Logans and contrasted them to the Viennas. I was impressed with that setup, but the first store I mentioned really made me wonder...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlord
    Hey I never thought of that,maybe because I have hair down past my shoulders,tats,and always seem to mention I play in a band I may be hurting my image,OH MY!
    It's the musician part that turns retailers off -- we musicians notoriously are always hurting for money.

Especially the long-haired ones.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I was at BB today, I'm going to buy the Samsung 46" 1080P LCD TV. I stopped into the Magnolia area and talked with a salesman who actually owned Martin Logans and McIntosh amp. I was very impressed with his knowledge. He said they can order just about anything that the free standing Magnolia stores carry, including REL subs, Primare and Krell.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    It's the musician part that turns retailers off -- we musicians notoriously are always hurting for money.

Especially the long-haired ones.
    I knew I felt a bond there Dusty. Must have been your other avatar.long live 80's hair!!
    Marantz SR-18
    Eosone RSF1000's
    Eosone RSC 300 Center
    Eosone RSF 400's
    SVS PC 20-39
    Samsung 42" DLP
    Xbox 360
    PS3 60gig

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Rock on. \m/
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.