Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My thoughts....

SACD sound marvelous but all that "marvelousness" doesn't mean squat if you CAN'T GET THE TITLES YOU WANT IN THAT FORMAT!!!!! I can't even call it a niche format, it's smaller even than that it's vapour if you ask me.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    SACD sound marvelous but all that "marvelousness" doesn't mean squat if you CAN'T GET THE TITLES YOU WANT IN THAT FORMAT!!!!! I can't even call it a niche format, it's smaller even than that it's vapour if you ask me.

Worf
    Sadly so, though there is a fair (as opposed to really good) selection of classical music on SACD.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post

Worf
    I have been saying this all along, those that prefer vinyl will say it's best, and the same for those that like FLAC. but I look at the versitility of the medium. For us older folks in here we can remember how cool it was to be able to take our favorite music with us when we got our license and first car, or even being at the beach or park listening to a boombox. As with each source the package became better (high bias tape/metal tapes) to make the sound as close as possible as it did on your home system. CD's was the first format that allowed you to have both high quality and moblity with no compormise.

As for the digital format war, I say the same, FLAC/ALAC are about the best in sound, but its use is limited to systems that support them. ACC / Mp3 are more widely accepted for home/portable and auto. Both can be ripped at levels that can only be discoverd on highend systems. So you can turn your nose up at either, but you will be the one stuck at home not being able to take your music with you as you travel to work/play and so on and what audio car unit plays at audiophile standards anyway, that can over come road nosie/engine and wind? Most of us still having a hard time getting our listen rooms setup correctly to accomadate furniture, hard walls and so on.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    Apple losslesss (ALAC) you should gave this setting in your MAC software
    Done, thanks.
    Bob

My suggestion is, be able to play more than one type of source. Buy music in the highest resolution format you can find it. Then simply enjoy!

I currently can play LP, HD Files, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, CD and Cassette. no BR yet but that capability will be added.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

^ Good advice.

I'm a two channel guy, okay 2.1. No turntable, the SACD/DVD player is hooked up to the tv only, no HT.

My cassette deck is a quality unit (Nakamichi Cassette Deck2), I think and recently have listened to a couple of tapes I made from cds, sounds pretty good. I have maybe three factory made cassettes. That is a dying genre, so I didn't list it in another thread about costs.
    Bob

I totally agree Joe, we all may different taste in music and availability will always be key. Find the best (pending on your own use) and simply enjoy.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    For me I would say for me high resolution music files, 36/352.4 khz DXD, or music on Bluray disc. Nothing on DVD-A or SACD comes close to the resolution of 24/192khz in 5.1(DVD-A only does 24/192khz two channel).
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

One of these days, I'd like to compare these various formats on reference speakers, and see if there are any differences. My headphones are pretty decent but...they aren't the same as drivers in a cabinet. I use higher quality MP3 files because of availability but I'm sure FLAC is pretty awesome.

Forum Regular
    FLAC compared to MP3 sounds pretty special on my Marantz CR-603,
    just a bit off topic though, I've heard the PS1 is an "audiophile" cd player, is this true? There was an article on 6 Moons about the PS1 being a fantastic audiophile quality player, but not sure if that is exactly correct. It doesn't make sense that the PS1 would be so cheap but such a high quality CD player.

Forum Regular
    WAV and FLAC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information