Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Multichannel muse from me

drgnfly, advice doesn't get more objective and clear-headed than Woochifer's. Clearly you are looking for multichannel, (MC), and I can't help but think that a lot of the other people's advice is, shall we say, stereo-centric.

Although I love my dipolar Magneplanar 1.6's in my stereo set up, they would be entirely unworkable in my HT, (i.e. MC), set up. For two reasons: (1) they are too restrictive as to placement, (3 feet from walls, etc.), and (2) because dipolars, bipolars, and omini-directionals rely on room reflections for some of their affect.

The trick with MC for music, (certainly any accoustic music), is to recover the characteristic of the recording venue. (Now consider this Lots of room relections will seriously detract from the ambience recovery that MC is capable of. Ergo, I recommend against dipolars, (e.g. Magneplanar and electrostatics), bipolars, (e.g. some Mirage), and omnis, (e.g. other Mirage, Ohm). There might be an argument for wide-dispersion rears for movies, but not for music.

For optimal MC music, consider unipolar or controlled-dispersion speakers, and/or room treatements.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

your speaker chioices seem pretty good

as for electronics, go more toward B&K, rotel, parasound. that will take you closer to truly clean sound. the receivers in these brands are VERY good. of course separates are better but it sounds like you could be mobile soon, less to fuss with if a receiver is the central component.
    ...regards...tr

Daviethek and Florian,

I was able to find the GALLO 3 speakers... not only they looked great but they sounded even better. I went to the dealer where i know the owner and he had just gotten in a pair. He quoted me a price of 3.8K for the speakers. (now more stressed over choices of speakers )

The Mirages and the NHTs couldn't test them cuz was not able to find anyone that had them on the floor.

Giving up on the Dali speakers.

As for the receiver, i'm thinking it will be better to go with some of the higher end Marantz or Denon. I'm waiting for calls from a few dealers with quotes on the Marantz SR9600 and the Denon ACV-A11XV. I should hear from them in the next day or two.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    as for electronics, go more toward B&K, rotel, parasound. that will take you closer to truly clean sound. the receivers in these brands are VERY good. of course separates are better but it sounds like you could be mobile soon, less to fuss with if a receiver is the central component.
    I agree with hifitommy here, Rotel and B&K are makinge very good sounding, beefy, robust receiver models today. I would also add Arcam to that list based on a recent audition. The hifi shop in my town has the Rotel setup with a second system composed of Rotel's separates, just to make this point... you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference until very loud volumes where the receivers power supply starts to run out.

Nothing wrong with Maranz or Denon, but I think you wouldn't regret stepping up to any of these brands.

Well buddy, hit me up on MSN...
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Florian is evil...

Just kidding... everytime i talk to you i end up with more choices to look at and find myself recalculating my budget!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information