• 03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
    gyzmot
    Avr 220 from Harman Kardon
    Before buying this unit i'm no expert in connection,i have a 42" lcd from LG model42LC2D ,i need to know if because this receiver doesn't have any component output,do i really need that to have the best connection or i can manage to do a good job without them
    thank you guys
  • 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
    gjpham
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gyzmot
    Before buying this unit i'm no expert in connection,i have a 42" lcd from LG model42LC2D ,i need to know if because this receiver doesn't have any component output,do i really need that to have the best connection or i can manage to do a good job without them
    thank you guys

If you already heard and are now looking for 1080i or 1080p upconversion receiver. This avr220 is definitely not the one, unless you must have many diff VIDEO sources. I used to have this model 220 about 5,6 years ago, the best way to get video to your TV is to cut the by-pass and go straight from your DVD to your LG lcd.
  • 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
    gyzmot
    ok thank you ,yes i'm looking eventually for 1080 x 1080 so the component is doing that or do i need to go through other connection ,can i go with a Avr325 or Avr525
    thank you
  • 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
    gjpham
    Quote:

ok thank you ,yes i'm looking eventually for 1080 x 1080 so the component is doing that or do i need to go through other connection ,can i go with a Avr325 or Avr525
    thank you

It is very difficult to give an accurate opinion if we don't know which DVD player you have. As you may know, component cable will be one step lower than the Hdmi. I would invest more on a good dvd player ( Pioneer DV-46i for $249) rather than rely on the the new hip unconversion...
    Keep in mind that though many receivers claim to able upconverting your 480 or 720 sources to 1080p or 1080i, actual result was a little more disappointed. Many of them did not reach up to what they claim on the specs. Good luck.
  • 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
    gyzmot
    thank you that was exactly the dvd i was thinking of buying,so i'll go with this one and now try to find wich receiver to take,i guess that the Avr325 will be ok with this dvd and my lcd,thank you for your info .it's really appreciate
  • 03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
    gjpham
    Quote:

thank you that was exactly the dvd i was thinking of buying,so i'll go with this one and now try to find wich receiver to take,i guess that the Avr325 will be ok with this dvd and my lcd,thank you for your info .it's really appreciate

You are welcome, Tweeter has 30 days customers sastifcation and they sell $300. You can get it on ebay at $249 right now. You will love it in both video and sound quality.
    You are looking for avr Harman Kardon so I assume you are more into home theater movies. Again, we don't know room size, what brand, type of speakers you have now, accurate advice will be diff. But I also had the upper avr 435, it blew me and ev1 away with all of its hi tech gizzmo.
    REMEBER, What you pay is what you get, so enjoy shopping and explore this new sound and video world. Good luck.
  • 03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
    gyzmot
    i really appreciate your info,as far as the room it's close to be 12'x12',and i have a small budget but want to have something decent,so i post in speaker forum if HKTS15 from harman kardon where good enough for me or if anyone had some feedback to let me know,assume i'll go with dvd46a avr325 HK tv 42LC2D lg and may be HKTS15 ,however i would put more $ on wires and cables that's for sure,to your knowledge would you say that it would be ok for me those equipment for the rrom that i have,thank you again and have a nice afternoon
  • 03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
    gjpham
    Quote:

i really appreciate your info,as far as the room it's close to be 12'x12',and i have a small budget but want to have something decent,so i post in speaker forum if HKTS15 from harman kardon where good enough for me or if anyone had some feedback to let me know,assume i'll go with dvd46a avr325 HK tv 42LC2D lg and may be HKTS15 ,however i would put more $ on wires and cables that's for sure,to your knowledge would you say that it would be ok for me those equipment for the rrom that i have,thank you again and have a nice afternoon

* With your room size, IMO, a combination of a used HK avr220 and a decent subwoofer may work well for beginners. You’ll love it if this is your first Home Theater set up.
    In my theory, we should more well spend $ on the video hdmi cable, but as for sound cable, stay with 5% rule. Meaning EACH of our sound cable should be appx 5% the cost of the receiver or DVD player.
    To be a little more specific for your case, if I'm not mistaken, your TV only produce 720p resolution. I can't share my experience or thought with you on this one specifically because I don't have 720p, but anyone else here could. My personal opinion though, I still want to invest on a good brand hdmi cable.
    Good sources for cables could be found here beside eBay:
    www.monoprice.com
    www.bluejeancable.com