Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member NhojGnol's Avatar

Audition/Reference music (CD)

Greetings,

This has probably been asked before but after searching I wasn't having any luck so here goes; (Dons flameproof suit)

When you are auditioning equipment, be it amps, speakers, receivers, cd players etc, what do you use as "reference"/"audition" music. I mean do you have a set list of favorite songs from across your collection or a more specific list that really helps to accentuate the qualities of the gear?

I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly Rock (70's to 90's) classical, jazz, Some techno, and various others, both instrumental and vocal.

My Thanks
    Nhoj
    Poor Planning on YOUR part; DOES NOT constitute an emergency on my part.

Welcome to AR.

My standard check-out CDs are:

Santana ~ Supernatural, the whole CD
    Dire Straights ~ Brothers In Arms
    Stevie Ray Vaughn ~ Texas Flood

for bass:
    Fleetwood Mac ~ Tusk, the song.

I don't have a "Stereo Test CD" like my Realistic "Stereo Test Record" LP. Anybody know of a good "Stereo Test CD"?
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

Forum Regular
    I try to avoid "audiophile" recordings and instead use the music I prefer for routine listening.

My particular reference points are recordings of acoustic instruments and voice that could be played live in my listening room. If the system gets the tonality and image of that right, then I find I'm probably going to be pretty happy with how it plays other material such as large scale music or more processed/artificial stuff such as rock & pop.

For example, last weekend I spent some time listening to a pair of Harbeth speakers. I brought about 20 CDs with me and listened to a very eclectic range. One CD was from a local folk singer I've heard live in a coffee house, another was a recording from a very early Ozark Mountain Daredevils practice session at their farm house retreat outside Springfield Missouri where I was present. There was some Empire Brass quintet material, liturgical pieces from the Boston Camerata, Ronnie Magri's "Shim Sham Revue" (New Orleans style jazz), some Mozart solo piano by Ingrid Haebler, a cut or two from Spirit, Neil Katzman & Ruby Green plus some Madeline Peyroux.

There were a few other pieces, but you get the idea. A very wide variety of music that I enjoy. Next time I listen to some new equipment the list will likely be quite different, but still have the same underlying logic.

NhojGnol - Welcome to AudioReview.

For me I typically bring 4 CDs.

One being a dynamically shifting classical CD - typically Heifetz playing Tchaikovsky.
    Second being a simple but emotional Piano piece - I've got a couple to choose from.
    Third - for bass - typically Massive Attack's Mezzanine or Ratatat - they use real and electronic bass
    Fourth - something I'm familiar with and like to listen to - Sufjan Stevens - Broken Social Scene - Miles Davis - really any thing from my collection that I tend to listen to a lot and have heard on a variety of systems.

I heard a good test piece the other day. It was a movie sound track with a lot of deep bass and at points horns would come in. It was great at showing the weakness in a system's dynamic range and ability to play it all.

Typically complex and dynamic music is best to judge a systems performance level. Rock, techno, blues, etc, while fantastic music, most of the time just doesn't demand as much from a speaker as some heavy classical pieces. Now I know there are always examples so before people just down my throat - I admit - there are always examples in the genera - I'm just generalizing. There are also a lot of boring and simple classical pieces that don't put a system through the ringers.

Also I don't really care if a disc is considered 'audiophile' grade. In my opinion, that doesn't even mean anything when it comes to a recorded disc. The whole point of an audiophile system is to play music back, either completely transparently, or in such a way that pleases your ear with your favorite music.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeford
    Welcome to AR.

Santana ~ Supernatural, the whole CD
    Although I really love this disk and it does sound pretty good, the whole thing is so overly compressed for radio play that it really starts to get to me at loud volume halfway through a listen. I also heard it played through Wilson Grand Slams with mega buck components and it still sounded too compressed.

Since I'm mostly computer based, I keep a playlist of all the well recorded stuff. I just cherry pick from that list to create an audition specific disk.

I might use different tunes for speaker auditions vs. source vs. preamp/amp. etc.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I do a lot of buying, selling, and trading. Over the last few years I've landed on a CD that I use first in demoing anything. Its just solid digitally clear music and perfect for letting yourself know or your customer know what your getting.
    I came across this album not by any preference, but rather the fact that it started with a B in the top shelf corner of my collection. Its the Black Eye Peas, Elephunk album. I play it first for every customer then generally onto Classical or their choice.
    I've always liked Lenny Kravitz, AC/DC, or something Industrial.

Sony STR-DA50ES Receiver
    Sony TA-N77ES Amplifier(mod)
    Sony CDP-C77ES CD Changer
    Sony RM-TP501 Remote
    Cerwin Vega LS6C Center Channel
    Cerwin Vega LS-12 Front Channels(mod)
    Cerwin Vega AT-15 Front Channels
    Cerwin Vega HT-S15 Subwoofer
    Klipsch SF2 Rear Channels

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by (O0o*o0O)
    ...Its the Black Eye Peas, Elephunk album. I play it first for every customer....
    If that was the first thing an audio salesperson played for me, I'd leave the store. ;-)

I know the group is very popular with a younger crowd, but talk about an over-processed victim of the loudness wars, whew! Here's "Hands Up" from that album.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NhojGnol
    Greetings,

This has probably been asked before but after searching I wasn't having any luck so here goes; (Dons flameproof suit)

When you are auditioning equipment, be it amps, speakers, receivers, cd players etc, what do you use as "reference"/"audition" music. I mean do you have a set list of favorite songs from across your collection or a more specific list that really helps to accentuate the qualities of the gear?

I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly Rock (70's to 90's) classical, jazz, Some techno, and various others, both instrumental and vocal.

My Thanks
    Nhoj
    In the first place, I try to avoid auditioning speakers that aren't pretty good. I don't consider subjective reviews very reliable, so if possible, I look at the measured results on Soundstage, Stereophile, and perhaps Audio Ideas Guide. Research has shown that most people with normal hearing favor the same sorts of performance characteristics in speakers. Some people seem to be deeply offended that I prefer to have some good measured results to peruse. My advice to someone who doesn't want to bother with measurements is to ignore them. I couldn't tell you how many times I've told that to RGA over the years. If a number of subjective reviews favor a speaker, I'll consider that, too. Remember, all I'm doing so far is making up a list of speakers I would like to audition.

I have a small number of recordings, really different tracks on CDs, which experience has shown can tell me in a few minutes quite a lot about what a speaker will do, and in particular, can show up some things I definitely do NOT like. You probably couldn't find some of them (not that they're anything special, just not easily available), and might not suit you anyway. Any speakers that do well go on a short list, and I will then try out a lot of other recordings. But for a first audition, I carry at least recordings of with some examples:

Full orchestra with massed strings (Mozart or Beethoven symphony)
    Male vocals (Roger Whittaker, Mark Knopfler, Clancy Brothers, opera singers)
    Female vocals (Diana Krall, Angele Arsenault, opera singers)
    Mixed Chorus (Requiems by Mozart or Brahms, Handel's Messiah)
    Piano (Horowitz, Earl Wild, etc.)

But you will need to choose what recordings you want to use, and what you want them to tell you.

Any speakers that pass the initial auditions with flying colors get on my short list, and I want to try them out with a lot more recordings, and if I really like them, I want a home trial.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

AR Newbie Registered Member NhojGnol's Avatar
    I just wanted to post a "Thanks" to everyone that has responded. You certainly have given me a lot to reread and digest!! I appreciate the different viewpoints and suggestions.

I hope to have some time this weekend to sit down and really "listen" to some of the different pieces that are suggested and some that are from my "usual" collection and see how it comes together.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I'm really enjoying the chance to learn a 'little bit" and branch out some

Nhoj
    Poor Planning on YOUR part; DOES NOT constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    If that was the first thing an audio salesperson played for me, I'd leave the store. ;-)

I know the group is very popular with a younger crowd, but talk about an over-processed victim of the loudness wars, whew! Here's "Hands Up" from that album.

Nice, is that what it looks like?
    I knew I picked a winner. I didn't say I was a fan or anything and I'd rather put on Danzig. Most my customers are into Classical and Jazz so it always swings that way. For a quick all over view and sound check Elephunk is in now more then ever.
    Great idea, thanks.
    I just don't want something scratchy or confusing to the ear. Something that will bump without weakness and push out clear highs. About 60 seconds of "Hands Up" really does it for most audio checks. CD players, amplifiers, speakers of all sorts, and as you've shown equalizers with spectrum analyzer indicators.
    If this is a popular question; its a good one. Its something I do every day and never really gave it much thought. Come to think about it I hate that song "Hands Up" after hearing it so much. But it does inform the neighbors that I'm with a customer or testing out something.

Forum Regular
    Nice, is that what it looks like? I knew I picked a winner.
    To each his own. The group is all yours!

(PS, that's not a spectrum analyzer chart. The Adobe Audition display shows volume - this clip is pervasively over-clipped.)
    Last edited by mlsstl; 02-04-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Reference music - Classical

I'm almost exclusively a classical music listener and, accordingly, my reference recordings are all classical. Make no mistake though: classical music provides a huge variety of sound.

In particular I like to used large-scale choral music for equipment evalution. There is simply no better test for resolution and transparency. I use orchestral music too, and chamber music which is useful for evaluating the reproduction of instrument timbres.

Some like to use a mix of good and bad (or at least not so good) recordings for evalution. I tend to use 95% excellent recordings, though I sometimes include one or two with specific defects, e.g. exaggerated treble.

Here are some of my reference selections ...

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

... Amazon.com

(O0o*o0O), You may have misunderstood the point of mlsstl's post.

It shows the almost complete lack of dynamic range in that recording. Unfortunately a large number of popular music recordings are overly compressed like the example. Lack of dynamic range in popular recordings is a routine and well founded complaint here and on most other audio oriented forums. Classical and Jazz recordings usually don't suffer from much if any compression. Audiophile recordings by definition shouldn't have any compression or studio "sweetening".

Demo quality recordings I use:
    Jacintha Here's To Ben
    Tim Weisberg Undercover
    Holly Cole Don't Smoke in Bed
    These three were recorded without a lot of studio "sweetening". The Jacintha was recorded direct to a 2track master from which the CD was made. Of course there are others I use for auditioning including LP's if possible. Just about any Chesky recording is demo quality.

Santana's Supernatural is known to suffer from over compression. IMO it's not "demo" quality. I have it and a 12" DJ single of Maria Maria. The LP is less compressed.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

JoeE SP9

I'll take your word on it. With your set-up I suppose you can tell what an artist had for lunch by the rumble of his stomach.
    Massive Attack is awesome and a great idea to bring along.
    Anyone here into Mr. Bungle? How about Buckethead?
    Lets talk about some meters moving and those classical albums pictured in here now. I'm going to look for a few of those in the used section. I'm not very versed on classical music, and there's a question.
    What classical tracks light up the meters?

I'll take your word on it. With your set-up I suppose you can tell what an artist had for lunch by the rumble of his stomach.
    Lets talk about some meters moving and those classical albums pictured in here now. I'm going to look for a few of those in the used section. I'm not very versed on classical music, and there's a question.
    From the Mr. Bungle I've heard I liked it - but never enough to seek it out on my own. Maybe I should. That guy is a bit of a trip.

I tend to lean towards more aggressive classical music most of the time - so Tchaikovsky or Wagner are great composers to start with. Something with dynamic shift that knocks your socks off.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "light up the meters".Are you looking for just loud sound or good sound? If you're looking for dynamics you could try The Firebird on Telarc CD. If you set the music volume at a nice level the bass drum thwacks will make you jump and raise the hair on the back of your neck.

If you're overly concerned with volume an SPL (sound pressure level) meter will let you know exactly how loud things actually are in dB's. Radio Shack has a fairly decent digital SPL meter for around $50. dB ratings are the only accurate and meaningful way to express how loud something is. The meters on most gear (except Mac's) are worthless for anything other than eye candy.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "light up the meters".Are you looking for just loud sound or good sound? If you're looking for dynamics you could try The Firebird on Telarc CD. If you set the music volume at a nice level the bass drum thwacks will make you jump and raise the hair on the back of your neck.

If you're overly concerned with volume an SPL (sound pressure level) meter will let you know exactly how loud things actually are in dB's. Radio Shack has a fairly decent digital SPL meter for around $50. dB ratings are the only accurate and meaningful way to express how loud something is. The meters on most gear (except Mac's) are worthless for anything other than eye candy.
    those r only good for telling time.

Sparse chamber music for me... If the instrumentation and timbre is right, then I know I have something going... Timpani is a good indicator... Piano, always... And solo voice... (m.)

atomicAdam

In classical music that's where I'm generally at. I really like Bach and I have several compilation CD's. I also want some stuff by that one guy Hitler liked. Just to piss people off.
    Did you ever see that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm?
    As for as the meters I think I'm going out and getting one from radio shack. It will look cool and light up my life a little. I have dB meters on my amplifier, but its strictly bass and they're dials. And that voodoo cable is awesome... "I need a red eyed smiley face here"

Forum Regular
    Hi All,

Iam newbie in this forum.

My list of best cds is Dire Strait, Brother in arms

Forum Regular
    Pink Floyd, The wall

Forum Regular
    Mark knopfler, On every street

Forum Regular
    Eagles, Hell Frezze over

Forum Regular
    Mark Knopfler, Sangrila