audiophile knobs...?

Printable View

  • 11-01-2005, 04:33 AM
    bubbagump
    audiophile knobs...?
    I'm thinking of a knob upgrade. Thoughts, suggestions?

    http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...Code=NOB_C37_C

    Here are some more useful products from industrious manufacturers.

    http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm
  • 11-01-2005, 04:42 AM
    Bernd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubbagump
    I'm thinking of a knob upgrade. Thoughts, suggestions?

    http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...Code=NOB_C37_C

    Here are some more useful products from industrious manufacturers.

    http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

    What a bargain. Go for it. I bet it will make one hell of a difference to your rig.
    Happy knobing!!

    Bernd
  • 11-01-2005, 05:09 AM
    pelly3s
    can these mods get any more pathetic. i think that might be dumber than cryo treatment. whats next a ceramic stand for your remote so the energy from the batteries doesnt leak through the table into the carpet and send interfernce into your equipment.
  • 11-01-2005, 07:38 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I'll bet soundideas is banging his head against his desk because he forgot to buy these for his system to go with his $700 tile plates under his speakers and his $300 contact enhancer, each of which improves the sound of his $75 speakers tenfold. Can a person get any smarter?
  • 11-01-2005, 08:12 AM
    Feanor
    You'd need to BE a knob to consider these
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubbagump
    I'm thinking of a knob upgrade. Thoughts, suggestions?

    http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...Code=NOB_C37_C

    Here are some more useful products from industrious manufacturers.

    http://www.ilikejam.dsl.pipex.com/audiophile.htm

    Oh, PUL-LEEZ :rolleyes:
  • 11-01-2005, 08:21 AM
    GMichael
    Can you say, "A fool and his money are soon parted?"
    If you make it, they will buy it. Too many people buy these things. That's why they make them. That's why there are thousands of people out there trying to invent the next pixie snot.
    Magical knobs that make your stereo sound better.
    Magical cream that makes you younger.
    Magical pills that make you stronger. (hey, they have these!)
    Magical pills that make your manhood more manly.

    Who needs a white van anymore? The internet has made the world so small that everyone comes to you. And a fool really is born every minute. Why else would a ligher need to have a warning lable that says, make sure flame is out before putting in your pocket.
  • 11-01-2005, 09:43 AM
    topspeed
    I don't know about you guys, but my audiophile knob is just fine, thank you very much. ;)
  • 11-01-2005, 09:52 AM
    Bernd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    I don't know about you guys, but my audiophile knob is just fine, thank you very much. ;)

    Mine is,too. Like it just the way it is.

    Keep Knobing

    What's playing: Llyod Cole and the Comotions-Rattlesnakes
  • 11-01-2005, 09:53 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    I don't know about you guys, but my audiophile knob is just fine, thank you very much. ;)

    Pics?...
  • 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
    dean_martin
    Make sure you've budgeted for the knob polishing kit. It's a must.
  • 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bubbagump
    I'm thinking of a knob upgrade. Thoughts, suggestions?

    Some time back, I replaced the front panel and knobs on my ARC preamp to match the other black components. I later used two of the knobs on a DIY attenuator project.

    Total cost of attenuators, aluminum box, connectors and wire $16.
    Cost of two knobs $36 - at least they were left over! :^)

    rw
  • 11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
    thepogue
    HeyChuck...
    I just spent an hour hangin out with you and you didn't even know it!!....lol..cool web pages....really neat to see the room you built!! Where do you live? I spend quite a bit of time looking over your pages...and I was thinking "cool suff"...owns Paradigm...really into HT (whcih I'm not a big HT kinda guy...but can really understand the attraction)..and then BLAM...I see your a PT fan...and I said...I gotta give the dude his props ;) cool site, cool sounds = cool dude..! BTW I just drove 6 hours from virginia to Philly to see PTrees last month. Wilson is great...as well as the rest of the band.


    thanks for the "tour" of your world!

    Pogue



    Quote:

    Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I'll bet soundideas is banging his head against his desk because he forgot to buy these for his system to go with his $700 tile plates under his speakers and his $300 contact enhancer, each of which improves the sound of his $75 speakers tenfold. Can a person get any smarter?

  • 11-02-2005, 10:25 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Make sure you've budgeted for the knob polishing kit. It's a must.

    What budget? I've had my knob polishing kit for 15 years and I shudder to think how much she's cost me :eek:.
  • 11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    What budget? I've had my knob polishing kit for 15 years and I shudder to think how much she's cost me :eek:.


    Yep.



    (I couldn't think of anything else to say. That was just too damn funny, Speedy.)
  • 11-02-2005, 03:29 PM
    JSE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    What budget? I've had my knob polishing kit for 15 years and I shudder to think how much she's cost me :eek:.


    Mine did not really help my sound. I just get these low end moaning sounds? No soundstage at all. I will say the highs are much better now though!
  • 11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
    abstracta
    The wooden knob trick doesn't work unless you cryogenically freeze it first.

    :-)

    Guess this means we'll start to see high end interconnect cables soon encased in bamboo or something.
  • 11-03-2005, 09:32 AM
    Bernd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by abstracta
    The wooden knob trick doesn't work unless you cryogenically freeze it first.

    :-)

    Guess this means we'll start to see high end interconnect cables soon encased in bamboo or something.

    Can't see it. How can cryogenically freezing improve this fine knob.

    Peace

    Bernd

    What's playing: Eric Clapton-Unplugged
  • 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bernd
    Can't see it. How can cryogenically freezing improve this fine knob.

    Peace

    Bernd

    What's playing: Eric Clapton-Unplugged


    It releases the free electrons in the air to interact with the free radicals in your fingers. This being a free upgrade.
  • 11-04-2005, 11:04 PM
    MikeyBC
    If i didnt click that first link i wouldn't have believed it, Bet they'll sound even better if they designed a $200 elastic band to wrap around the knob to further dampen any resonance in the wood. If they'd designed the silver rock potentiometer properly in the first place it wouldnt need a $485 chunk of wood strapped to it !! Think i'll go get a lathe and design a wooden knob for vintage sony recievers.
  • 11-05-2005, 08:31 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    If i didnt click that first link i wouldn't have believed it, Bet they'll sound even better if they designed a $200 elastic band to wrap around the knob to further dampen any resonance in the wood. If they'd designed the silver rock potentiometer properly in the first place it wouldnt need a $485 chunk of wood strapped to it !! Think i'll go get a lathe and design a wooden knob for vintage sony recievers.

    Dude, I had trouble reading your post. I think I'm being watch by some guy that looks like Homer Simpson.
  • 11-05-2005, 10:04 AM
    rockecat
    Hopefully they at the very least supply the knob polish at least you get something of value.
  • 11-05-2005, 07:59 PM
    gonefishin
    Quote:

    audiophile knobs...?
    Why the name calling?
  • 11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
    MikeyBC
    Quote:

    Origionally posted by GMichael
    Dude, I had trouble reading your post. I think I'm being watch by some guy that looks like Homer Simpson.
    DOH !!