Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_IDT
    Other myths rathar missconceptions about subwoofers could be addresses.
    such as:

10"s hit harder and are better for rock and 15"s can't hit as hard because they move slow and thus are only for rap music because they sound deeper.

Just about everyone I know that thinks they know about car stereo say this dealers say it also. Do your homework and dig deep enough you'll find that a 15" can hit just as hard as a 10". The 10" lacks low extension so it appears as if it has more punch because you cant hear the lows you should be hearing that the 15 will reach. So sence because they hear the lower sounds from a 15" they think it's slower and all together lower sounding. There half right it does sound deeper but it's also hitting all the higher hz that the 10 is except for just a few hz at the wery top that usually crosses over to the midrange speakers.

I know theres a ton of lies and misconceptions out there that could be proven otherwise through some sort or scientific method.
    Woofer size has nothing to do with woofer speed - compliance and excursion will affect the woofers transient response or speed and the tightness or slam.

15" woofers are actually better at this. It's swept volume of air you need to consider. A 15" woofer moves about 6 times the air of a 10" sub. That means a 10" sub has to move 6 times as forcefully to match the output of the larger sub - since 15" magnets and motors are usually bigger, they are also more powerful,...so the 10" woofer then relies on its excursion to push air - the further it moves, the less control it will have, transient response suffers.

I think with car subs especially, the issue was there's just a lot of crappy, power sucking, hi-excursion subs that sound bad. In a cabin the subs benefit from transfer function (cabin gain) and you can get away with 10 and 12" woofers. - 15" are usually overkill and just for competitions...

Walks in room, notices nice collection of local color, asks first awake person, "Why are we here?"

There's no answer.

SLowly wakes up

massive pounding headache, tries to get up to find some aspirin, just sort of stumbles in to the wall and passes out again.

Runs back into the room full of energy. Turns on the lights as bright as they'll go. Skips over to the stereo. Throws on Ted Nugent's Double live Gonzo and cranks it up as loud as it will go. Starts handing out OJ & coffee. Bagels are coming
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Runs back into the room full of energy. Turns on the lights as bright as they'll go. Skips over to the stereo. Throws on Ted Nugent's Double live Gonzo and cranks it up as loud as it will go.
    The other sleeping denizens jump to their feet, blink and look around, wrap GMichael in a blanket, tie it closed, toss him in the trunk of the '68 Caddy DeVille in the front yard, slam it shut, stumble back inside, turn off the stereo and the lights, and go back to sleep.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Wakes up, shields eyes and reaches for coffee. Makes rude gesture to GMichael for being so perky.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    The other sleeping denizens jump to their feet, blink and look around, wrap GMichael in a blanket, tie it closed, toss him in the trunk of the '68 Caddy DeVille in the front yard, slam it shut, stumble back inside, turn off the stereo and the lights, and go back to sleep.
    Dances back into the room with the blanket slung over his shoulder. It's filled up like Santa's red bag on X-mas eve. Everyone turns to him with hatred in their eyes. He tosses the blanket & leafy contents into the fireplace which is burning bright. Once it starts to smoke real good he closes the flu. The room begins to fill with smoke again. Everyone seems to calm down. All is good in Tinsel Town once again.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

LJ walks into room....

.... grabs his favorite drink, a nice snack, sits back and enjoys the show!

You guys are waaaay toooo funny!!

E-Stat joins the gathering

Sets down dram of Laphroaig, then looks to find the doobie. Oh, there it is.

Then hooks up projector to show Mythbuster video.

Breakin' glass

rw

Forum Regular

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Sets down dram of Laphroaig, then looks to find the doobie. Oh, there it is.

Then hooks up projector to show Mythbuster video.

Breakin' glass

rw
    Notices the Laphroaig, sets down bottle of Lagavulin, noting to self that he had never tried the peatier malt. Picks up bottle while E-stat is hooking up projector, sips and pronounces it good. Chugs half the bottle, passes out and has nightmares of being forced into recompense by repositioning ungodly large electrostats with a hangover, with a very irritated E-Stat holding empty Laphroaig bottle and a buggy whip....

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    what a circle jerk

Wakes up - Bad headache - untangles himself from the Audioquest cables. Dreamed got beaten up together with musicoverall, who mumbles something about 1300 pounds and 8 foot, by markw. Takes a good look around. Room has filled up with people and smoke, and over there is Santa Claus. Man this is heavy, how long have I been out? Remembers the small bag of shrooms, takes a couple and passes it to his left before enjoying a wild and colorful movie and a cream cheese and smoked salmon Bagel.

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular
    Takes out his six string banjo[one for each finger].Moves out to the front porch and sits in his hand wittled rockin chair,spits out his chewin tabaccy ,adjusts the crotch on his coveralls,takes a swig from his moonshine jug,[with added bayou peet so it tastes just like Lophroaig],farts,ponders on the fact that Pluto aint no longer no planet, and then begins to play They Don't Make Jews No More Like They Did When They Made Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Wakes up, shields eyes and reaches for coffee. Makes rude gesture to GMichael for being so perky.
    Oh, thank you John. You're number one with me too.

(brings in an old tube driven Fender Twin Reverb amp and two guitars. looks around to see who else wants to jam)

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Snatches a guitar and fingerpicks a dainty mazurka to add ambience to the already surreal scenery. Notes absence of malted beverages and markw's very considerable point and stares longingly at the door...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Snatches a guitar and fingerpicks a dainty mazurka to add ambience to the already surreal scenery. Notes absence of malted beverages and markw's very considerable point and stares longingly at the door...
    I missed Mark's comment. Was it inspiring?

I can only speak for myself, but as the only sober guy at the party it would be an issue. That's what I get for showin' up late...

Smoke lifts and clears view. Sees GMichael and Bobsticks with guitars in hand ready for some jamming. Digs deep into his survival pack and reveals a Hohner Harmonica. Counts the other two in and we're off.

Wow what a party...

Worf kicks open the door, glowers angrily around the room and bellows..

"Which one ya Ras Clot, Bumba Clod thievin' Pirates dug up me gange!!!!!??? Me nah spend 8 months raisin dem up from seed for yar raggedy ass ta steal!!! Git ready ta meet ya maka cause I an I fixn' to cut ya troat!!!!" He pulls a machete from waist and marches forward menacingly.

Da Worfster

Breaks into "Grits Aint Groceries" and contemplates getting the powerchord to GMichael's Twin Reverb cryogenically treated. Tosses Bernd special harmonicaphile Blistex #78 Platinum Edition Lip Balm and Tone Conditioner while wistfully thinking of The Angel's Share until tripping over the prone forms of several AR members and crashing to the ground...

gets up, walks off for a few minutes and arrives with a full drum kit, sets it up and joins the jam session, gets many strange looks as to how in gods name he managed to do all this while still drunker than an ugly housewife

Sees Da Worfster approaching fast and furious and tries to reassure him that there is a place for a Bass player left.
    Kindly accepts the balm from bobsticks. Ahhhhhh that sounds much better.

One and a two and a one.....

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Worf kicks open the door, glowers angrily around the room and bellows..

"Which one ya Ras Clot, Bumba Clod thievin' Pirates dug up me gange!!!!!??? Me nah spend 8 months raisin dem up from seed for yar raggedy ass ta steal!!! Git ready ta meet ya maka cause I an I fixn' to cut ya troat!!!!" He pulls a machete from waist and marches forward menacingly.

Da Worfster
    That would be me sir. But don't worry, there's plenty more. There are several farmers among us. Take all ya like. But you do need to go get your base and return.
    The party is warming up.

Anybody know any Jethro Tull?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Asks Bernd...

...if it was Scottish or Norwegian...Pours another glass of Arnold Palmer's Peach-flavored Lemonade-Iced tea...offers, and is rebuffed with numerous howls of derisive laughter...Exits room and re-enters with a guitar case and battery-operated Pignose...plugs in the gold-top LP and when the blues jam ends, starts to play a finger-style version of Willie Nelson's Crazy...

jimHJJ(...seems appropriate...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Wecomes RL to the session and answers him that it is indeed scandinavian. Watches in awe as RLs fingers dance on the fret board.
    Having a look at Audiodude playing the intro to We will rock you.
    Beverages seem to run very low. Puts his hat on the floor and starts to Tap Dance for some beer money.
    Last edited by Bernd; 08-25-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information