• 02-02-2009, 05:45 AM
    audio amateur
    Audio Darwin awards of things not to do part II
    I think I get the crown for this month.
    On saturday I recieved my recently purchased Merlin interconnects, and eager to get them going, I proceeded to unplug my DAC and Trends amp and make a little room on my desk where they both are. I then proceeded to hook everything back up, only i plugged in the DACs 24v PS into the Trends amplifer (same input). Needless to say the Trends is rated for 12v input and I managed to fry the Tripath TA2024 power chip inside! :yikes:
    At first the blu LED wasn't very bright and then the light dissapeared. It made stange crackling noises too (the speakers did). I then checked the PS ratings and realised what i'd done. I wanted to look inside the amp before turning it on againwith the correct PS. It was easy to see that the chip had taken a hit. I was a little disguted..

In the meantime i've ordered a Cambridge Audio 340a off ebay and things should be rolling again by the end of the week, hopefully.. I've contacted a guy in china who claims to have access to Tripath chips, Iv'ejust ordered a few hoping to have the beloved Trends fixed one day.
    That's my story for the month:yesnod:
  • 02-02-2009, 06:16 AM
    Ajani
    Ohhh... looks like we have a new King....:ciappa:

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the amp... and to be honest, plugging the wrong PS into the amp, seems like the kind of mistake any of us might make...
  • 02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
    GMichael
    Ouch. Sorry to read this. Glad that help is on the way though. Enjoy the new toy (Cambridge Audio 340a).