Thread: Anyone....OPPO?

Forum Regular

Anyone....OPPO?

Hi all, has anyone in here bought Oppo Dvd player? An audio enthusiast friend of mine told me that this $200 Oppo could compete with other high end DVD players. Be honest, it looks kinda cheapy to me but I need your advise. I need a toy b4 Christmas.
    http://www.oppodigital.com/

Oppo 981, best budget DVD player on the market, hands down. My second choice for budget DVD player would be the Denon DVD-1930CI.

See for yourself the benchmarks of the last generation Oppo 971 which scored 98 out of 100 (highest score): http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

Of course this isn't to say that the Oppo could hold its own against a Denon DVD-2930CI. But in any case, the Oppo is an excellent choice.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've heard nothing but good things about the 971, and the 981 is based on it, so I'll be getting one.

In other words, I haven't heard it, but I would recommend it based on the opinions of people whom I trust as much as one can without hearing the equipment for one's self.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

There is, of course, a quasi-legal software "hack" that enables 1080i video upconversion via the component-video output. (normally its 480p component/1080i HDMI).

I'll let someone else tell you where to get it. (You burn it onto a CD and pop it in the player).

Yeah... It's not the heaviest build-quality... Performance is top-notch. In my experience, many optical disk players seem to have a short lifespan sometimes, regardless of how much they cost. Due to that and the fact that a higher resolution format will take over eventually... seems like a very wise purchase.

There are TONS of good consumer reviews on the internet (Amazon.com, etc...). I think you're sure to get the newest firmware and a bonus cable when you buy directly from OPPO though...

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

consumer review not needed

check out the latest absolute sound magazine! budget product of the year. i bought my sony ns500v on their recommendation and have never been sorry. if i were to replace it, the oppo would be the one to do it with.

the fact that it is a universal player is a big plus. i dont have but one dvda so the sony will suffice for now.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
    There is, of course, a quasi-legal software "hack" that enables 1080i video upconversion via the component-video output. (normally its 480p component/1080i HDMI).

I'll let someone else tell you where to get it. (You burn it onto a CD and pop it in the player).
    Is this upconversion only possible on the Oppo, or can it be accomplished on other makes? Neither my receiver nor TV have a HDMI connection so it would sure be great to get 1080i through the component hook-ups.

Thread Information