any sansui lovers here?

Printable View

• 04-29-2011, 03:20 PM
    fabchef
    any sansui lovers here?
    Hi everyone, this is my first post, i just wanted to say hi and wondering if any of you are into vintage sansui gear? I have a few of their receivers and amp and find they where made very well..ciao
    fabs
  • 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
    bobsticks
    Hey fab,

I've always been under the impression that early Sansui stuff was top notch and given the amount the vintage pieces command I'd say there's some truth to that. I don't own any myself but a buddy has the AU receiver with an old TEAC Reference cdp playing through Mordaunt Short Deccas. It's the best garage system I've heard bar none...

Welcome to the forums.

---sticks
  • 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
    luvtolisten
    Hi fabchef & welcome. I don't own any Sansui gear, but it's on my list of things to look for at garage sales this summer. I had a chance to buy a Sansui integrated amp last year at a garage sale(can't recall the model number just know it wasn't the AU 717 which is mentioned a lot) it was a silver faced model, I would imagine from the 70's. The guy wanted $40 for it. I decided to think about it, went back a couple hours later and it was gone.I remember a friend of mine back in the late 70's had a 881 receiver, rated at 63 watts per channel, that was really nice. From what I've read, there aren't any lemons from the 70's period. True?
  • 04-29-2011, 05:54 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I ended up with a Sansui AU9500 by chance and it gave me a whole new perspective on Sansui. The 9500 is and outstanding amp in both sound quality and build. I don't have it any more but it's in a good spot.
  • 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM
    fabchef
    Hey...i have a smaller "silver" face amp...the thing is that people have this think of big numbers (watt wise) , and some of the figures of these amps look lo small, but what they put out is impressive...what i love about this old stuff is how well they where built back then..with real components. Alot of todays stuff is all circuit boards and that when something brakes you toss out the whole thing..
    fabs
  • 04-29-2011, 06:33 PM
    dakatabg
    Here is another Sansui guy. I own few pieces. You can't go wrong with the Sansui gear.
  • 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
    devuonoste
    Welcome to AR fabchef!

I don't own any vintage Sansui gear but my brother in law owns an AU11000 I believe and the thing is a beast and it has great build and sound quality. I hope to get a vintage sansui amp or receiver one of these days for my second system.

Glad you enjoy your Sansui gear.
  • 04-30-2011, 04:09 AM
    thekid
    Welcome to AR

I am a fan of early Sansui.
    I own a AU-505 and TU-555 "roundie" tuner. They are somewhat compact but can power everything I have quite well.

I grew up listening to a Sansui 5000 receiver and SP 2500 speakers that my dad brought back from overseas.
  • 12-01-2013, 12:01 PM
    kentuckyfried
    Repairing a 9090 receiver as I surf. Had to build a 1khz signal generating board and high end speakers just to work on it. I can say enjoy.
  • 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM
    recoveryone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    I grew up listening to a Sansui 5000 receiver and SP 2500 speakers that my dad brought back from overseas.

Ditto here Kid, our first real quality stereo was purchased by my Dad in England when he was stationed there in the ealy 60's. We had the Receiver and Speakers, I remember that soft green glow of the tuner I had the speakers until around 99 when I went with Surround sound setup and gave them to my brother-in-law.