• 05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
    NoMSG
    Any potential harm from this setup?
    Hey all:

My TV has only two A/V inputs. One of them is coming from my brand new Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver, which is maxed out as far as the number of inputs it can accept. The second A/V input is coming from the stupid POS Toshiba combination DVD/VCR player, via RCA cables for audio and a composite cable for video.

The reason I have it set up this way is that the VCR portion of the Toshiba DVD/VCR will not play via the S-Video connection into the receiver--something that is not made clear by the manual. At this point, I want to connect my satellite input to my TV as well, so that my family can watch TV without having to turn on the full blown HT system through the receiver.

Here's my plan: using piggyback or Y-cables, connect both the VCR and the Satellite cables (left, right, and composite) into the second of my TV's AV inputs. Obviously, I plan to have only either the VCR or Satellite on at one time However, mistakes will happen. I know I can get a switcher box, but that's cumbersome and ugly

I'm concerned about two things. First, will the Satellite box and/or VCR be damaged because they will now be getting line level signals going in to their respective "line outs." Second, will there be any damage to the TV, if both the Satellite and VCR accidentally feed signals at the same time?

Thanks for reading through this cumbersome post.
  • 05-25-2005, 05:24 PM
    Glen B
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMSG
    Hey all:

My TV has only two A/V inputs. One of them is coming from my brand new Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver, which is maxed out as far as the number of inputs it can accept. The second A/V input is coming from the stupid POS Toshiba combination DVD/VCR player, via RCA cables for audio and a composite cable for video.

The reason I have it set up this way is that the VCR portion of the Toshiba DVD/VCR will not play via the S-Video connection into the receiver--something that is not made clear by the manual. At this point, I want to connect my satellite input to my TV as well, so that my family can watch TV without having to turn on the full blown HT system through the receiver.

Here's my plan: using piggyback or Y-cables, connect both the VCR and the Satellite cables (left, right, and composite) into the second of my TV's AV inputs. Obviously, I plan to have only either the VCR or Satellite on at one time However, mistakes will happen. I know I can get a switcher box, but that's cumbersome and ugly

I'm concerned about two things. First, will the Satellite box and/or VCR be damaged because they will now be getting line level signals going in to their respective "line outs." Second, will there be any damage to the TV, if both the Satellite and VCR accidentally feed signals at the same time?

Thanks for reading through this cumbersome post.

A Sima model SVS-4D remote switcher should suit your needs. I use one and it works great. It has a defeatable auto-sensing feature that detects when a device is turned on and automatically switches the signal from that device to the TV. See the link.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homethea...vsi4x2rec.html