Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amp hookup....

Amp hookup....

Ok, I got an amp for Christmas for the Home Stereo. I need to know how to hook it up. I have the RCA option as well as the XLR option. Going the RCA route, what part of my reciever will I be plugging in the RCA's? It's an Onkyo five channel receiver. Thanks

Tommy
    "The art of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his!" General George S. Patton

Componets
    Onkyo TX-DS575X 500 Watt DTS Receiver
    Onkyo Five disc CD Changer
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers
    Cerwin Vega LS-15 Mains (400 Watts)
    LS-5C Center Channel (100 Watts)
    LS-5 Rear Channels (100 Watts)
    V-12S CV Powered Sub (300 Watts)

Making a couple of assumptions ...

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus77
    Ok, I got an amp for Christmas for the Home Stereo. I need to know how to hook it up. I have the RCA option as well as the XLR option. Going the RCA route, what part of my reciever will I be plugging in the RCA's? It's an Onkyo five channel receiver. Thanks

Tommy
    Congradulations first of all -- a better amp will make for better sound.

I'm assuming your Onkyo has RCA connectors marked "Preamp Out" (or possibly "Line Out"), connect the Front Left and Right to the RCA inputs of your amp. Of course, connect your front speakers to the amp instead of to the receiver.

I'm assuming too that the amp is a power amp, not an integrated amp with input selector, volume control, etc.. If the latter, a whole different set of connection might be preferable.

Thanks Feanor, I looked on the back of the receiver, and I DO NOT have those type of outs. Do I have any other options?? Check out this link, and it will give you the specs, and a picture of the back. Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-DS575X-...QQcmdZViewItem
    "The art of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his!" General George S. Patton

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Bein...

...Christmas time and all, I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but you musta' been a naughty boy...all you got was a lump of coal...You need Pre-Outs...I downloaded the .pdf owners manual at Onkyo's site...your unit doesn't have 'em...except for sub out

The TapeMon won't work as it is at a fixed level and the tone controls, etc. are useless...The speaker outs will overdrive and probably damage the outboard amps inputs...and in case you are wondering, yes, there are quality, pro-level devices that can take the speaker outputs and reduce them to line-level equivalents but, they are mono, so two would be required and the cost would be around $800USD for the pair...for that kinda' bread you're better off considering a newer and more compatible reciever or going the building-block separates route...

jimHJJ(...sorry...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

That's what I was afraid of. I figured I could run it on something with all the pre-outs on the back. I guess that's what I get for assuming. I dealt with car audio for years when growing up, and every radio I used just came automatic with the proper pre outs, and I guess I just didn't think it was any different with Home Audio. Well, I'm looking into getting another receiver for a smaller system in the master bedroom, so I will look at my options then. Thanks for the input.

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

As an addendum...

...if it is an integrated, as Feanor suggested, all you need to do is go from the recievers TapeOut jacks to a line level input (NOT Phono if so equipped) on the integrated...you will need to use both volume controls i.e. the new amp to set the fronts and the reciever for the rears/surrounds...

jimHJJ(...that's IF...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

No, its a power amp. Just a few gain controls, and a bridge switch.

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

No, its a power amp. Just a few gain controls, and a bridge switch.
    just curious, what amp did you get?

are you setting up an ht system, or just 2 channel?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

1200 watts for $130.00? Hmmmm...

Didja ever hear the saying that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is?

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Didja ever hear the saying that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is?
    x2
    150 watt at 8 ohm... you'll probably be better off sticking with the onkyo... unless you want to power many speakers for a party...
    maybe get a couple log pots and split the signal off the cdplayer ?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Well, the short answer is, it doesn't fit with your current setup.

My advice is, take a step back. Why'd you get it? Is there something wrong with your Onkyo that you're not happy with? What you really need with a power amp is a pre-amp, but then you're building a two-channel system, and don't need your Onkyo at all.

Also, don't rule out the Gem yet. It could be a...erm...unpolished gem. Try to at least set up a system to hear it in.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

And it's...

...not even 1200watts...their "specs" say 600watts bridged mono...Over-zealous copywriter? Most of the other conflated numbers are into 4 Ohm loads, they don't specify RMS, or "music power" or IPP...nor do they give the bandwidth at which the power can be provided or the number of channels driven at their dubious ratings.

Since it does have gain controls, you may be able to feed the TAPE MON output from the Onkyo into this little Gem...but again, the signal @ the tape outputs is fixed and unaffected by tone controls or any other filters, etc.

There is the possibility this unit may be the veritable "diamond-in-the-rough" but, in all honesty, I tend to doubt it...

jimHJJ(...measure twice, cut once...ask questions first, buy later...)

Send it back

I agree with others here: this amp doesn't fit your current setup and is unlikely to sound better than your Onkyo even if you got it connected.

If you are truly dissatisfied with the Onkyo sound, save up for a replacement receiver with Preamp Out connectors, (for future if not immediate upgrade), or go straight to a "pre/pro" plus power amps.

It was a gift from my wife, and you have to give her credit for trying. Considering she didn't know what to look for, I was pretty impressed. She got it on sale, as you can see, so not bad I reckon. I will have to look for another receiver with the proper "pre-outs". My Onkyo does ok, but I have to crank my receiver way the hell up to get the bass I'm looking for, so I was hoping to get more clean power from having an amp. After all, I am in the experimental stages right now, with my current set-up. Having said that, I did plan for a few set backs, just not starting out. I ultimately want to drive four CV 15's in my living room, but that will not be for several months, because I have to get out of this apartment first, and the lease isn't up till April. Thanks again.

Tommy

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Cerwin-Vegas...

...don't have the rep of being bass-shy but they may be presenting a load the amp can't handle at least easily...and more and better power will only address that load and not an increase of bass...volume may increase across the board but to assume that increase in wattage will provide more bass is IMHO an erroneous one...If you want your ears to bleed, that's one thing, but with the CVs AND a sub...what are you looking to do?

Are the speakers wired in phase? Have you tried placement changes? Turning down the treble control? Lowering the highs will give the impression of more bass response...Have you adjusted the bass control? Made certain the sub is set-up/operating correctly?

jimHJJ(...it ain't rocket science, but some analysis and common sense will go a long way...)

I agree with Resident Loser, all the cv's I have ever heard have plenty of bass...
    if the speakers are in phase, and moving the speakers around doesn't help, then more power would probably help... or add a cv sub ;o)
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Look, there are nothing wrong with my Vega's, they aren't out of phase, they rock with my Onkyo, I have no problem with my current set-up. It will rock the place off the foundations. All I'm trying to do is make it rock harder and louder without distorting anything. I want to find a four channel amp, get a new receiver that will take an amp, and drive four 15's until I blow the fuses, so I know my threshold, then I want to fine tune that threshold, via whether it be an equalizer, bi-amp, pre-amp whatever. I want MASSIVE amounts of Bass, whether it takes two amps, four amps, whatever, that's my goal. Just wanted to let everyone know that nothing is wrong with my current set up, my negative wires are going were they are supposed to, as well as my positives. Thanks for the feed back.

Tommy

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

find a used preamp...
    I think you can find used B&K PT3 s2' s for ~ $100 on ebay...
    there are many others, but a preamp would probably be the best way to go if you just want to run multiple cv's loud with amps...
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Buy a preamp/processor as Rock 789 has suggested. Why buy a receiver and pay for the built in power amps if you're not going to use them?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It was a gift from my wife, and you have to give her credit for trying.
    Definitely -- she gets an A+ just for being interested enough in your hobby to do such a thing.

And like I said -- don't write it off until you've given it a serious effort. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not to oranges -- compare the speakers off both amps at the same volume to decide which is better. Start with "reasonable" volumes.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Ok, so there is hope. So you are saying I could get a pre-amp, and it would work with my Onkyo? How would it hook up to my receiver? Thanks again.

Tommy

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Ok, so there is hope.
    Well, not really.

So you are saying I could get a pre-amp, and it would work with my Onkyo?
    I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was telling you how you could use that Gem amp, but not necessarily with the Onkyo.

How would it hook up to my receiver?
    You can't. That receiver and any external amp, either pre or main, will never, ever mate. It simply doesn't have the I/O flexibility you need. For that you need to replace it with areceiver that does.

You even said it yourself:
    I will have to look for another receiver with the proper "pre-outs".
    That's it. You win the kewpie doll. Game over. It's time to move on to a different subject.

Absolutely unbeleiveable!!!

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

I just don't you harboring any false hopes.

Absolutely unbeleiveable!!!
    After all, I remember that one Christmas when I learned the truth about Santa Claus. I was devistated. My wife had a heckuva time consoling me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information