luvs2jam60

Computer to stereo

I have my computer hooked up to my receiver through a Y-connecter mini-plug to 2 RCA audio cables. However, I get quite a noticeable feedback on my receiver when the volume is over half-maxed, sounding like a low, constant bass frequency. It is magnified a lot when the cable is loose, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe a cable switch, or something. Thank you to anyone who helps

Some receivers have a source selector switch for recording. If your's has one move it to a source that isn't connected, like if its on a tuner position this will cause feedback. Another possibility is if you are using a soundcard other than the one on the computer motherboard. You may have a conflict in sound, so you will have to disable the sound from the motherboard by going into your computer settings on start up. And thirdly if you can control the wave & volume strengths in your master volume on the computer, then don't have them set higher than 75%, this can add distortion to the receiver by overloading the inputs on the receiver with to high signal strength. That's all I can think of, Good Luck!

Forum Regular
    The best is if you buy a soundcard with co-axial digital or Fiber-Optic digital out...I have the SoundBlaster Audigy LS...which has great sound(IMHO) You can find it now for about $99 bucks...If you want one with 7.1 sound you'll have to fork out about $200

luvs2jam60
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    Some receivers have a source selector switch for recording. If your's has one move it to a source that isn't connected, like if its on a tuner position this will cause feedback. Another possibility is if you are using a soundcard other than the one on the computer motherboard. You may have a conflict in sound, so you will have to disable the sound from the motherboard by going into your computer settings on start up. And thirdly if you can control the wave & volume strengths in your master volume on the computer, then don't have them set higher than 75%, this can add distortion to the receiver by overloading the inputs on the receiver with to high signal strength. That's all I can think of, Good Luck!

I played around with the wave and volume strengths and the distortion is still there. It almost resembles a guitar amp that has the volume up quite high.

Forum Regular
    Try plugging the computer's power plug into a three-to-two-prong adapter before plugging it into the wall.

Thread Information