Thread: AM Boost

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

AM Boost

I don't get into these parts much, but looking for a little help.

I have gotten a job that has encased me in a steel office building. I am having trouble getting reception of my favorite AM talk station. I can pull it in over the web, but then I am about 20 seconds behind the conversation.

Is there any sort of antenna that will help? I don't have the option of setting up anything outside.

I tried a Terk brand powered antenna, but I think it should be re-named the "Turd" brand. Radio sounds better with the freebie antenna that the radio came with.

I am looking at some antenna from the C Crain company, but not really happy to spend $99 on an antenna.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I can pull it in over the web, but then I am about 20 seconds behind the conversation.
    Help me out here Mashedmeat. Unless you call in frequently, I don't see how this is a biggie?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Sorry to bring up the Terk word again, but this Terk dedicated AM 1000 antenna really works. I am in a bad area for radio reception and it is the only thing that works for me. (sometimes it works better if you tune in the exact frequency first on the antenna dial and then tune in the am station). Before with my Sony receiver and a Terk FM/AM antenna I could only get about 2 AM stations good enough to listen to. Now I get over 10 stations. Understand that you have to rotate the dial on the antenna every time you change stations. Worth a try if you can return it if it doesn't do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technolog.../dp/B000069EUW

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-svEgNBi...Advantage.html

RR6

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Help me out here Mashedmeat. Unless you call in frequently, I don't see how this is a biggie?
    I call in all the time. So, it is a biggie. I live in a market that has a local am station with great personalities, and no screeners. Unlike Rush, Lars, or any of the other talking heads, you can actually call and get on the air.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I call in all the time. So, it is a biggie. I live in a market that has a local am station with great personalities, and no screeners. Unlike Rush, Lars, or any of the other talking heads, you can actually call and get on the air.
    Gotcha, thanks.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Fiddled around with the throw away AM loop antenna that came with my radio. I got the signal to come in with minimal interference. That Terk Tower I got is total crap!

Thanks for everyone's help.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Thread Information