Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Suspended
    There were decent suggestions made at under $1k but still no return feedback was given.

Is the Trends amp a SET? I knew they made a splash with their little digital amp but I didn't hear they were doing tubes. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    There were decent suggestions made at under $1k but still no return feedback was given.
    You're right, a simple "thank you" from the OP would have been nice at some point. There a lot of good suggestions were given.

Last year I was looking for a system to go in my Office. The only criteria, it must be all in one, Tube and below £1K. I know it's a little bit above the OPs budget, but if you can stretch to this you will not be dissapointed. I went for the Shanlings MC30 and to partner it "The Horn" from Ed Shillings "The Hornshoppe" www.thehornshoppe.com, .
    Will it blow the house down-no. But that was not the point. This little system has 3 mighty SET watts. Fed into the single driver horn it amazes everyone who hears it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

Is the Trends amp a SET? I knew they made a splash with their little digital amp but I didn't hear they were doing tubes. Do you have a link?
    This is the little device (and the audio converter "light") I am reviewing - it is a tube hybrid http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php...d=21&Itemid=56

I am only reviewing it as a headphone amp because I am living and teaching in China this year and my system is at home so I can't test out its other features. However, it offers a lot for tiny money. It runs as a preamp as well and if it's anything close to as good as the headphone amp then it's very nice to see such an inexpensive unit sound this good. I can't give too much away but it's a big step up over my Total Bithead - the Bithead was designed for different purpose to be fair and it's half the cost.

Sure is a cute li'l fella...

These are all good tidbits of advice. I would just check what's out there and consult with some of the reviews in this site and others like it to make sure that whatever I was interested in has some concurrence about quality, etc. Just remember, you get what you pay for. There are plenty o' good bargains out there, but a lotta dreck masquerading as the real deal. Do your homework and pounce. If it was quality then, it's probably pretty darn good now. Also, think about upgrading down the road; will your goodies be attractive to the next schmo who might be interested in your stuff? Check out the blue-book values and get a feel for what's desirable. These guys here are pretty sharp; scope 'em out....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    I can understand why the OP went AOL. The poor guy was looking for a system for under $1,000. Our discussion here went from there to escalating to much larger $$$. Being a newbie myself, he was probably a bit intimidated by it all. Kind of like walking into a Ferrari dealership to buy a Ford. We all can't afford Ferrari's. We'd like to. But for some of us, it's out of the question. At least that's my perspective anyway.
    I doubt that was it. The discussion stayed affordable for a week without a return post from the OP.

Suspended
    I don't want any thanks but I'm interested to see what folks decided to do, if anything, after getting our feedback. What ever direction a person goes it's nice to see how it worked out.

Speaking of that, Auric, what ever happened to that outboard DAC you bought? CAL still singing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information