I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Onkyo Rack System

On Wednesday I am going to pick up what I think is a Onkyo rack system. The original owner said he purchased the system from Circuit City in 91 for about $2100. It includes a receiver, tape deck,CD player turntable, 2 speakers and either a pre-amp or possibly a equalizer.

Anyone out there know anything on this system??

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid

Anyone out there know anything on this system??

Uum, that it's plastic and probably not good?...

...although Resident Loser might disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Uum, that it's plastic and probably not good?...

...although Resident Loser might disagree.
    Your cynicism is duly noted......but I remain optimistic.......
    Plus the price is right.........FREE!!!!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Your cynicism is duly noted......but I remain optimistic.......
    Plus the price is right.........FREE!!!!
    Well in that case you've got a great garage system on the way!

I'm just playing around anyway. I've got a Pioneer disc player from that era that I got through some horse trading that is far better than it has any right being. It's kinda a diamond-in-the-rough, crapshoot dealio at that point, so have fun...

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    (I worked for CC in '91)

Of the rack systems (which - as you suspect - are absolute CRAP) the Onkyo was the best. Any other i would not take even for free.

I was taking an excellent demo tape and listening from top down to help me differentiate and walk customers up to the next level (higher spiff-to-noise ratio!) . By the time i got to the bottom of the heap for the rack systems - i was CONVINCED the tape had gotten magnetized and dirty! The sound was muddy, even horrible! I then played in the 'good' Onkyo tape deck and was relieved to hear the tape was just fine!

I was also roundly ridiculed for listening to the NEW Technology CD players to help differentiate and upsell there as well...
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    (I worked for CC in '91)

Of the rack systems (which - as you suspect - are absolute CRAP) the Onkyo was the best. Any other i would not take even for free.

I was taking an excellent demo tape and listening from top down to help me differentiate and walk customers up to the next level (higher spiff-to-noise ratio!) . By the time i got to the bottom of the heap for the rack systems - i was CONVINCED the tape had gotten magnetized and dirty! The sound was muddy, even horrible! I then played in the 'good' Onkyo tape deck and was relieved to hear the tape was just fine!

I was also roundly ridiculed for listening to the NEW Technology CD players to help differentiate and upsell there as well...
    Hydro

Thanks!

You have raised my hopes up a bit that this thing won't be a total wash out. Any chance you remember if the components had individual model #'s or was this strictly a "package" of Onkyo gear?

I only ask because I doubt I will get any paperwork with them and I'd like to know if it is possible to download a manual somewhere.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    IIRC the Onkyo was separate components with an 'idiot-proof' connector (not RCAs).

They were a 'package' so not sold separately. They will have individual part numbers - but the manual search should be for the system p/n. The Onkyo site may have it...

Lastly - if something is not intuitive about operation - you could ask here...
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Quote Originally Posted by hydroman
    IIRC the Onkyo was separate components with an 'idiot-proof' connector (not RCAs).

They were a 'package' so not sold separately. They will have individual part numbers - but the manual search should be for the system p/n. The Onkyo site may have it...

Lastly - if something is not intuitive about operation - you could ask here...
    Hydro

Thanks for the offer I helped take it down for the move today and it does seem to be pretty much your standard hook-ups. Units are dusty but in excellent shape since they have hardly been used, in fact it appears the tape deck has never been used. The model numbers such as they are, are as follows;

Reciever A-RV401
    Turntable CP-1100A
    Cassette Deck TA-RW303
    5-Disc CD DX-C101
    Tuner T-403
    3-Way Speakers S-35 Looks like they have a 12" inch woofer with a 3-4" inch midrange and 1" tweeter

I was able to download the owners manual for A-RV401 from Onkyo's site so that helps. I would be interested if anyone knows where I can find some free downloads on the other equipment if possible. Anyother info/experience with these units would be greatly appreciated!

Photos to follow when I get it cleaned/set-up. I am debating to use the rack it came with since it is that hideous press wood oak veneer. Components are black so I may spray paint the rack black as well but that probably will not come off too good. It was all free so I can't complain!

Aging Smartass
    Rack systems were generally poor to middling quality components from any given manufacturer, all selected to fit a price point, and to fit physically into a rack thereby eliminating the consumer's need to find someplace to put all the stuff. None of the equipment (even that from ONKYO, for whom I worked before the rack system "craze") were of a quality remotely close to that of their normal components, and the worst part of all was just about always the speakers. Almost all consisted of flashy-looking, cheap drivers with cast plastic trim rings, designed to make the drivers appear "substantial". "Substantial," however, was never an accurate description of these drivers, as the magnet assemblies were featherweights when compared to those used in "real" speakers from legitimate loudspeaker manufacturers.

No one who is an audiophile, or an audio enthusiast will have anything good to say about any rack system. Free or not, I'd look elsewhere, unless you just want to sell this "imitation" component stereo system.

No one who is an audiophile, or an audio enthusiast will have anything good to say about any rack system. Free or not, I'd look elsewhere, unless you just want to sell this "imitation" component stereo system.[/QUOTE]

E

If you would allow me to upset your delicate sensibilities one more time and add photos of the unit as it is set-up........

No photos of the speakers since they have already been given to the neighbor next door. One of them only had the mid-range working and as E mentions they are pretty much big boxes that look better than they are so no loss there. The turntable is extremely light and flimsy in fact the cover on my Dual player is probably heavier. The CD player seems to have a transport problem which I think I can fix. The tape deck,reciever and tuner cleaned up extremely well and look brand new. Not sure where I am going to put it-possibly as suggested the garage. If I find some decent speakers it may earn it's keep somewhere in the main house.

Thread Information