• 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM
    Jake42
    Adjusting The Sound For Surround Sound
    :mad2: Need help on this one. I currently own a Yamaha RX-V793 receiver that I have owned for several years. I have never been able to get my surround sound to work right on it.
    Now that I have a new HDTV I am trying to get the sound working right for surround sound. I can not seem to be able to adjust the volume in the front and rear speakers. Barley hear the rear speakers as well as the right & Left front speaker. Most of my sound is coming out of the center speaker.
    I guess since I was so spoiled with your older systems where you were able set each speaker to the loudness you want, I expected this one to be the same. Well I guess this tell my age. Would never have bleived They talk about control ranges example -20 to +10 db. Means nothing to me what is the db stand for? Does anyone know an easy way to adjust each speaker so that you can fit it to your needs?

I am lost I have tried several time even with the book out and still can't figure it out. I think may screwing it up more whenever i try.

Any help would really be apprecitted Thank you

Jake
  • 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. Any surround receiver should have a speaker level set up inside it's menu. You can try setting the levels by ear. You do this by running the test tone from speaker to speaker while sitting in your listening position and trying to get all speakers to sound at the same volume. The best way to do it is to buy a SPL meter from Radio Shack, set it to something like 80db (decibel) and as you run the test tone to each speaker adjust the level "from -20 to +10" until all speakers and sub hit 80dB on the meter. You can bump the sub up a notch afterward if desired. If you use your receiver's on screen display you should be able to navigate to "speaker level". Sorry, I have no experience setting up Yamaha so I can't tell you step by step.

You should be using a digital connection from your playing sources to get 5.1 or better.
  • 12-08-2008, 07:18 AM
    Jake42
    Thanks Mr Peabody,
    Good information will help me out I am sure. Like I mentioned in my original request not real savie on this stuff any more. Goes with age I think.
    I can get the main menu to show up which shows all my speakers with a test button but it does not appear to do anything when I try to adjust my volume for each speaker. The back speakers are real low in volume and you can barley here them. The idea of buying a SPI meter is good hopefully this will help.

The setting I find on the receiver does not show it going up that high it just shows (Min -20 to + 10 db).

The preset value is o.

Do I want to try and adjust the speakers in Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital enhanced or Digital Movie theater?

Now when you say use a digital Connection from my playing source what are you referring too? The type of wire too the speakers?

I told you I was not up to this technology anymore. I know simple thing for simple minds.

I have the manual but it was not written for this simple mind of mine?

Maybe I have too screwed up I should set it back to the preset value on everything and start over? Any thoughts?
  • 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake42
    Thanks Mr Peabody,
    Good information will help me out I am sure. Like I mentioned in my original request not real savie on this stuff any more. Goes with age I think.
    I can get the main menu to show up which shows all my speakers with a test button but it does not appear to do anything when I try to adjust my volume for each speaker. The back speakers are real low in volume and you can barley here them. The idea of buying a SPI meter is good hopefully this will help.

** To adjust the volume of each speaker while in that menu you have to use the "cross bar" button. It is either circular or a cross shape with arrows showing up/down, left/right. Usually left/right is what works.

The setting I find on the receiver does not show it going up that high it just shows (Min -20 to + 10 db).

** This is normal. dB goes up as a ratio but roughly 3dB is double or half from where you started, depending on raising or lowering the volume.

The preset value is o.

Do I want to try and adjust the speakers in Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital enhanced or Digital Movie theater?

** This shouldn't matter. The test tone should bypass all of that. Some units will allow you to customize speakers settings for each sound field but it should still offer a general setting.

Now when you say use a digital Connection from my playing source what are you referring too? The type of wire too the speakers?

** No. Digital is the type of connection from (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, cable/satelite box). You can use an optical, coaxial or HDMI to get a digital connection. HDMI carries both video and audio. A coaxial digital cable looks like a single RCA cable. Optical has a unique end on it. I would recommend coaxial for audio if HDMI is not available.

I told you I was not up to this technology anymore. I know simple thing for simple minds.

I have the manual but it was not written for this simple mind of mine?

Maybe I have too screwed up I should set it back to the preset value on everything and start over? Any thoughts?

** We all had to start some where and most of the time the manuals are poor. Once you figure out how to adjust the unit you can reset it so you have a reference point if you want.
  • 12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
    Jake42
    Going to give it a try today
    Thanks Mr. Peabody, I think with all your help I will be able to figure this one out. I will let you know how ti turns out.

Another question? The wire that I have going into my speaker are heavy duty two strand speaker wires that have no plug they are just direct wire hook ups. I have Polk speakers that handle the bare wire hook up but should I try to use the alarge screw on connector on my Polk speakers. Should I try to replace the wires with a plug in type or am I OK with just using the direct wiring system?
  • 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
    GMichael
    Looks like the instructions you need are on pages 22-25 here. http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...re/RX-V793.pdf

Have you tried these?
  • 12-12-2008, 08:16 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Yes, the bare wire connection is fine.