Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5 channel music

Word of caution...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I have Audessy but have not used it yet. Is the purpose of the multiple microphone positions to get the lay out of the room or to note where people will be sitting? I mean should I put the mic where I sit and where my wife sits etc. or just put it in various places in the listening room more randomly? As soon as it cools some and the air can be turned off I plan to run the auto set up to see if it does better than the ole SPL meter in the listening position.
    Last time I used Audessy it blew the tweet in one of my ADS 1290's. Not "great" speakers but vintage. Took two weeks to get it repaired. Use Audessy but make sure your speaks can handle the range, volume and impact of the test tones.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Last time I used Audessy it blew the tweet in one of my ADS 1290's. Not "great" speakers but vintage. Took two weeks to get it repaired. Use Audessy but make sure your speaks can handle the range, volume and impact of the test tones.

Da Worfster
    Sadly, you are not the first person to have this issue.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Poppachubby, I am a Sennheiser fan boy. I have yet to hear anything better. There are people who love Grado but I am not one, I found the bass terribly bloated and just didn't care for the sound. I have an old pair of 240's and I preferred them over the Grado, I compared them to Grado up to the 225's. Either Sennheiser HD580 or 600 is vastly better then the 240's in every way. A word of caution on evaluating any Sennheiser they require several hours of break in before they begin to sound the way they were intended to. This held true on my HD600's all the way down to my PX portables. I'll usually plug them in just to see what they sound like then let them play over night to start, you'll notice a significant improvement.

Thanks for your kind words.

Suspended
    Thanks for the warning Worf, that's crazy.

nightflier

How about surround sound on headphones?

Not to hijack the thread either, but what about multi-channel on headphones? I remember that there were companies advertising this in Stereophile some time ago, but how does that really sound? I'm not talking about processed & simulated sound, but rather when they put several drivers in large cans. Is it worth the trouble? Did that technology just die off? It certainly would be something for me for late-night movie watching.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    Wow Worf. I used it on two of my 7.1 hometheaters that used the ADS L300's, and absolutely no damage to any of the speakers. I use the PC based professional version exclusively when I calibrate hometheaters and I have never had this happen, or heard of it happening. I use it to tune ALL of my hometheaters, I have never experienced a blown drivers during its use. I am surprised!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Poppachubby, I am a Sennheiser fan boy. I have yet to hear anything better. There are people who love Grado but I am not one, I found the bass terribly bloated and just didn't care for the sound. I have an old pair of 240's and I preferred them over the Grado, I compared them to Grado up to the 225's. Either Sennheiser HD580 or 600 is vastly better then the 240's in every way. A word of caution on evaluating any Sennheiser they require several hours of break in before they begin to sound the way they were intended to. This held true on my HD600's all the way down to my PX portables. I'll usually plug them in just to see what they sound like then let them play over night to start, you'll notice a significant improvement.

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes I have avoided Grado's for a long time as well. The comfort factor being the biggest reason. I am a Senn man as well. Lately, the allure of Grado's is tempting me into the SR60 for my portable...I suppose I can always dump em on Ebay...I found for old analog, records, etc, the Grado sound has a nice open quality, very natural with nice detail. My friend lent me a pair of RS1's, however after a couple of hours they became uncomfortable. You can wear Senns all day long and never tire....anyhow...chat later Pea-doggy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information