Suspended

Your thoughts on Cloverfield

I rented Cloverfield this weekend. I liked it but my wife thought her time had been wasted. The first part of the movie the party stuff may have went a little long before getting into it but it also set up the relationships and layed the ground work for understanding the characters. The only thing in common with Blair Witch is the way the movies were both shot from behind a camera perspective. In my opinion Cloverfield accomplished the task were I was very sorry I wasted time out of my life to watch Blair Witch. The A&E documentary of the story was way more interesting than the movie. My criticism of Cloverfield might be that sometimes I don't know if the peoples reaction were correct. For instance, I thought Rob was pretty calm for just losing his brother. On the other hand, all people react differently to things and it was shot from behind the camera so maybe it wasn't on all the time. I didn't like it enough to go buy it but I did enjoy seeing it.

It's worth noting for you HT guys, this movie is a serious subwoofer workout.

Aging Smartass
    I thoroghly enjoyed "Cloverfield." While the film style was quite reminiscent of "The Blair Witch Project," it was an infinitely superior film. Frankly, I couldn't stand "Blair Witch."

Great movie...

I saw Cloverfield on the big screen. I thought it was a good if not great "giant monster movie". I cared for the characters, loved that the monster was only hinted at, we never truly know what it is or where it came from or how or if they actually kill the damn thing. I wouldn't compare it to The Blair Witch but instead to last years "The Mist" which was also quite good.

Da Worfster

I saw it on the big screen as well. I liked it. I'm a sucker for monster flicks

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I saw Cloverfield on the big screen. I thought it was a good if not great "giant monster movie". I cared for the characters, loved that the monster was only hinted at, we never truly know what it is or where it came from or how or if they actually kill the damn thing. I wouldn't compare it to The Blair Witch but instead to last years "The Mist" which was also quite good.

Da Worfster
    I agree with this. Not knowing what the monster looked like kept me on the edge of my seat (well, it kept me focused). I also liked the way it was filmed 'cause it seemed more realistic.

Ya know, I haven't seen "The Mist" yet. After seeing "The Dark Night" I'm geared up for scary movies.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    My son described the movie to me as Blair Witch meets Godzilla. A very succint and apt summation IMO. I liked the movie well enough and was glad to see they did not go with a typical Hollywood ending.

Mutant from table 9
    I thought I was the only person that liked the movie. It had alot of faults, but also had a alot going for it. I did notice that the shaky handi-cam effect settled down about 15 minutes in. I was actually about to leave the theater because it was too shaky (like an actual hand held camera), but then it became just tame enough (like they switched to a digital "shaky" effect), I thought the sound design was great too. Haven't heard anything as viceral since War of the Worlds. I sounded the the walls of the theater would come down.

I didn't realize why it was called "Cloverfield" until a couple weeks ago. Apparently after a nuclear accident or bomb, clover will be the first thing to grow back because it needs very little soil. As a thin layer of new soil builds up, clover grows first.

Get a load of me... I'm Mr. Science.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Suspended
    What a relief, I'm glad I wasn't alone in liking it. I almost can recover from liking 10,000 BC

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I only wish Cloverfield was "Godzilla" instead of that crapfest flick that hit theaters a few years back. I wonder if deep down JJ Abrahms wanted to do Godzilla the right way but couldn't get the licensing?

Either way...great film that is sure to be one of the first BluRays I buy in the near future...

Suspended
    Come on Kex, maybe you need to sit down and watch Godzilla again, it wasn't that bad. Are you talking about the one where the army picks up the scientist from his current research to work with them on Godzilla and he ends up meeting his old girlfriend who is trying to make it in the news biz? Sub plot with the French secret service? I thought this one was good. The expectation meter don't get set very high though for a Godzilla movie.

I think it's better to watch a movie without expectations. Some times if a movie has a big buzz about it and you can't wait to see it, you are let down, where it might have been entertaining if you weren't waiting to get your socks knocked off.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Come on Kex, maybe you need to sit down and watch Godzilla again, it wasn't that bad. Are you talking about the one where the army picks up the scientist from his current research to work with them on Godzilla and he ends up meeting his old girlfriend who is trying to make it in the news biz? Sub plot with the French secret service? I thought this one was good. The expectation meter don't get set very high though for a Godzilla movie.
    Yeah....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I think it's better to watch a movie without expectations. Some times if a movie has a big buzz about it and you can't wait to see it, you are let down, where it might have been entertaining if you weren't waiting to get your socks knocked off.
    You're right here in that low budget, unknown movies that deliver are always extra nice surprises. For me, when a summer blockbuster comes out, whether it was hyped or not, it had better deliver, hype or not. I don't watch much TV during the summer months and tend to only see previews in the theaters so the hype machine isn't reaching me. I've only seen a lot about Batman because of the circumustances around its cast members. Didn't see too much for Transformers either (though I'm aware there's a lot of marketing effort out there).

I didn't go into Godzilla with anything other than the hopes of being entertained - and I'm a guy who likes most movies, especially monsters and sci-fis. Movies like "Deep Rising" and Starship Troopers entertain me. That one just bored me. Can't win'em all.

Wow, it's been 10 years already...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I did notice that the shaky handi-cam effect settled down about 15 minutes in. I was actually about to leave the theater because it was too shaky (like an actual hand held camera), but then it became just tame enough (like they switched to a digital "shaky" effect),
    I think that maybe you just got used to it. Hubby and I started to watch this on Sunday night and we had to turn it off halfway through because we were both feeling a little nauseated from the camera movement...and that was only on a 42" TV. I can't imagine watching this on a theatre screen.

Nice intensity though. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I think that maybe you just got used to it. Hubby and I started to watch this on Sunday night and we had to turn it off halfway through because we were both feeling a little nauseated from the camera movement...and that was only on a 42" TV. I can't imagine watching this on a theatre screen.

Nice intensity though. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends.
    Wow FA, you got that feeling on a 42" screen??? I had people running out of my hometheater with that feeling, and they were watching it on a 130" screen!!!

I absolutely loved this movie. What other monster flick can you see that has a good plot, but has audio that can turn your insides to a liquid mess, and visuals that can shake your brains to oblivion?

I do not think I have felt the air shake so violently from the bass in this movie since War of the Worlds in Dts.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Wow FA, you got that feeling on a 42" screen??? I had people running out of my hometheater with that feeling, and they were watching it on a 130" screen!!!
    I want to come and watch a movie at your house!

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I liked the way you were just kind of dropped into the middle of some peoples lives and something crazy just happened out of nowhere.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Thread Information