Would you pay $35 to see a movie?

Just came across this

http://canada.com.dose.ca/topics/ent...2-ad5a829b4551

although I don't go out to see alot of movies, mainly due to crowded seating and no leg room (I'm 6'4"). I might go to this.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I already go to the regular theater with my own food & drank now. My wife has a BIG freakin' purse she keeps in the closet for stuff like that

I'm fine chillin' at home for the rest of that stuff. I'd probably go once just to check it out though.

Forum Regular
    Can you imagine what movie theater steak would cost? A medium popcorn and pop is over 10 bucks at my local theaters. Upgraded movie houses are a good idea but i don't want a waiter walking in front of me to deliver a beer to someone next to me.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

They do say that the average couple spends $120, not too back considering what entertainment costs nowadays.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I can sit on my leather couch, have a nice dinner (I don't eat steak) and cocktails at home with a $4.99 rental and be quite happy. I don't like to pay $13 for a movie now. No way am I paying $35.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Only $35 movie I would even consider is if they played the LOTR trilogy as a single continuous film. Even then they would basically have to allow me to strap into a recliner with a tap and popcorn machine on hand.......

nightflier

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I can sit on my leather couch, have a nice dinner (I don't eat steak) and cocktails at home with a $4.99 rental and be quite happy. I don't like to pay $13 for a movie now. No way am I paying $35.
    We sometimes go to the local dollar theater, but that's about the extent of it. And we sneak in pizza, KFC, or whatever on top of that. But I would much rather watch a movie at home, where I can have my steak and eat it too .

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    We sometimes go to the local dollar theater, but that's about the extent of it. And we sneak in pizza, KFC, or whatever on top of that. But I would much rather watch a movie at home, where I can have my steak and eat it too .
    Geez Night!!!!!!!

Sneaking in Pizza and/or chicken!!!!!!

Either that theater just not give a sh^% or that is one heck of a coat/purse you are using to conceal it!

I am with you though on the home front; the fridge is only 10 feet away, no one is discussing their personal problems during the trailers (or occasionally the movie) and the pause button means I don't miss a thing.

There are some action/adventure movies that have to be experienced on the big screen at least once but nothing anyone can do could make it a $35 experience!

I am lucky that the occasional trip to the movies is still something the whole family does together and it is a fairly expensive propositon so this idea I don't see happening for families unless your last name is Trump or Rockefeller......

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    There are some action/adventure movies that have to be experienced on the big screen at least once.....
    I agree and that's probably what they're counting on.

nightflier

The big screen?

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    There are some action/adventure movies that have to be experienced on the big screen at least once but nothing anyone can do could make it a $35 experience!
    Well that all depends how far away you sit. If your home TV is large enough and you don't sit too far, it might actually be larger than the screen at the theater.

I also think that the $35 theaters will be more of a cozy small-screen experience emphasizing fancy food and comfy seats over great graphics and sound. Having worked food service, I can also guarantee that the sushi won't come close to rivalling what you can get at a half-way decent bar.

But in the end, the biggest hurdle IMO is that people don't associate theater-going with high-class. That's why they serve pop-corn instead of filet migon. It's also hard to cut a rare steak or dip your sushi when you're reclining in the dark. My guess is that this idea is going to flop big time.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Not even with 'flier's money or L.J.'s purse.

Thread Information