Suspended

Opinions on GI Joe?

People were so down on this movie I almost didn't rent it. Look the movie is based on a toy and cartoon, what did people expect? Any way I rented the Blu-ray and found it to be good. Good, in that I was entertained, not that any one will be up for an Academy Award. The movie was fast paced and wall to wall action. I thought sound track and picture quality was good.

I have to brag a bit. GI Joe and Transformers 2 were awesome on my system. The wife left the room when the movie was over, I was just letting the movie play when that Black Eyed Peas song came on during the credits, I had to bump the volume up, it was sounding good and the air movement from the sub was impressive, I decided to push the system. I hit the volume again, it was loud but everything remained clean. It just amazes me that a 11 lb amp rated at 125x2 could reach this volume, and stay free from distortion. I was also happy that the SVS was pumping massive bass at that volume while keeping the detail and no distortion. It's hard to gauge how loud it was but I was far beyond being able to hear some one say anything, even with a haller. The SVS was very clean but I could feel an incredible sensation from the bass waves.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Mr. P

I think your examples above are really what HT is all about. The movies mentioned are devoid of plot/story but you like them in part because of the action sequences and in part because it lets you flex and appreciate the quality of your HT set-up. IMO a lot of mediocre movies get bumped up a notch when they get rented and put through a quality HT set-up. I remember several years ago seeing "Armegeddon" on a pretty good HT system when HT was relatively new. I think- hey pretty good movie though I did not get to see the end. So the next time I am the video store I go ahead and rent it. Take it home pop it in the VCR hooked to my 27" TV and now I realize its not such a great movie. Such is the power of HT. When I first got my HT set-up my kids accused me of renting movies just because of they would sound/look awesome in my HT set-up.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Mr. P

I think your examples above are really what HT is all about. The movies mentioned are devoid of plot/story but you like them in part because of the action sequences and in part because it lets you flex and appreciate the quality of your HT set-up. IMO a lot of mediocre movies get bumped up a notch when they get rented and put through a quality HT set-up. I remember several years ago seeing "Armegeddon" on a pretty good HT system when HT was relatively new. I think- hey pretty good movie though I did not get to see the end. So the next time I am the video store I go ahead and rent it. Take it home pop it in the VCR hooked to my 27" TV and now I realize its not such a great movie. Such is the power of HT. When I first got my HT set-up my kids accused me of renting movies just because of they would sound/look awesome in my HT set-up.

Isn't GI Joe the movie they parodied in Team America? It just hadn't come out yet.

Maybe they should use that as an advertising slogan: "Home Theater, it makes terrible movies watchable!" Boy's, a shiny, perfectly formed turd is still just a turd.

Suspended
    I guess I won't hear from Starkist, I have no taste. I liked Armoghetton and GI Joe.

I've been waiting to see if anyone would be brave enough to post on this. I picked it up on Blu ray (price $19 @ Wal Mart) couldn't pass it up. The PQ was right up there with Transformer 2, but most scenes are in a dark settings. The sound track is spot on and works out any HT system. Yes the story line is weak and the acting is not much better. But it is a sit back kill 2 hours and enjoy the view type of movie. The only real flaw I notice is that in the flash back on Duke was that he was a Major then called Captain in the present time. I also notice that they did the same frame ratio change up during some of the battle scenes as they did in transformer 2. Its a nice touch, I wonder if it will be something that other editing teams will use in the future.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information