low on funds high on hope

what movies have BASS thats rememberable?

i know u-571 usually gets the knod, but what are the other contenders here?

for me, Fight Club and LOTR extended have to be the bassiest ive heard.

most movies these days have at least 1 or 2 scenes with considerable bass, but which ones can provide for a large part of the movie? any ideads?
    spl or die.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Well, I don't know about the whole movie, but I've been told the tidal wave scene in "the Abyss" is supposed to go down to near 20hz.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Jurassic Park I,II,III(DTS)
    Incredibles
    Titan AE(DTS)
    Independence Day
    XXX:State of Union
    Twister
    Matrix
    The Day After Tomorrow

All I can think of for now. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.

Kam
    SVS the subwoofer company has a list of movies and the chapter stops to demo dvd's/systems for the bass here:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos

Of the ones i was going to mention before checking out their list, was Unbreakable. Personally i really loved this movie, and they don't mention the track on the svs site, but when he walks in to the train station and bumps in to people, that scene has some pretty kickass bass to it. might not be the lowest, but it certainly has an impact combined with the scene, and the music kicks butt there too.

and one that's not mentioned that's also a kick butt movie is Brotherhood of the Wolf. Has some great bass to it as well.
    /create

The Haunting DTS version has some of the deepest and most powerful bass around. It will challenge any and all subs. The opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan is a subwoofer tour de force, as is Master and Commander. Attack of the Clones also has a lot of very active LFE usage. I would also look at IMAX documentaries as well, particularly the ones featuring space shuttle footage like Blue Planet because they will usually show the shuttle launches with a lot of the accompanying bass.

Just last night, I picked up Batman Begins and it packs a generous helping of subwoofer activity as well.

yeah i got batman begins also, the train scene at the end blew out one of my lightbulbs unless it was just a freaky coincidence? bty i could only find it in 5.1 dd, anybody find a dts or ex version?
    spl or die.

Quote Originally Posted by vxaudio
    yeah i got batman begins also, the train scene at the end blew out one of my lightbulbs unless it was just a freaky coincidence? bty i could only find it in 5.1 dd, anybody find a dts or ex version?
    Probably a coincidence.

No DTS or DD EX version now or anytime soon, since it's a brand new release and Warner's been the studio that has provided the least amount of support for DTS. Consider it a stroke of luck that they chose to include the DTS tracks on the Batman Anthology titles that also came out yesterday.

I'm still waitng for my Begins in the mail . I've went to rent The Haunting a couple of times but it's never there. I'll have to see that one when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I'm still waitng for my Begins in the mail . I've went to rent The Haunting a couple of times but it's never there. I'll have to see that one when I get a chance.
    You should look for the DTS version of The Haunting. That particular disc uses the full bitrate (1.5k) version of DTS, and the overall clarity and impact of that soundtrack is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    You should look for the DTS version of The Haunting. That particular disc uses the full bitrate (1.5k) version of DTS, and the overall clarity and impact of that soundtrack is stunning.
    Hopefully that's the version Blockbuster has. I may send the wife to take a look.

as far as the haunting goes, the soundtrack is the only reason to watch it. the original was a much better movie IMO hey woochifer, what other full dts soundtracks do you know of? also, are the smaller (near half) dts b/c those disks also have dolby on them?
    spl or die.

as far as the haunting goes, the soundtrack is the only reason to watch it. the original was a much better movie IMO hey woochifer, what other full dts soundtracks do you know of? also, are the smaller (near half) dts b/c those disks also have dolby on them?
    This list has the DTS bitrates.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bwescombe/dts_dvd.htm

Unfortunately, it has not been updated since 2002. In general, movies are released with the half bitrate DTS tracks, while some concert DVDs and a lot of DVD-As include full bitrate tracks. Most of the full bitrate DTS DVDs were released by Universal in the early days of the DVD format. They are not easy to find and not a lot of titles came out because the full bitrate DTS took up so much space that Universal needed to do dual releases. The DD tracks that came with those discs were typically 2.0. By going with half bitrate DTS, enough disc space opened up to accommodate both 5.1 DD and DTS tracks, negating the need to come out with two different versions of a title. I doubt you'll find any more full bitrate DTS movies because the studios don't like to put out dual versions of discs.

If you want to compare the full bitrate DTS tracks with DD, you should try one of the DTS titles that Warner released in 2002. They only put out a few DTS titles before discontinuing the releases. But, they are by far the best comparison sets because the DD and DTS tracks were transferred from the same master source at identical levels, which is not the norm. Typically, the DD and DTS tracks are prepared separately at different levels, which makes valid comparisons difficult at best.

The Warner titles that you can check out include the Lethal Weapon director's cut series, Twister, and Interview With The Vampire.

Keep in mind that Dolby Digital is one of the mandatory sound formats, while DTS is strictly an optional format.

Unfortunately, it has not been updated since 2002. In general, movies are released with the half bitrate DTS tracks, while some concert DVDs and a lot of DVD-As include full bitrate tracks. Most of the full bitrate DTS DVDs were released by Universal in the early days of the DVD format. They are not easy to find and not a lot of titles came out because the full bitrate DTS took up so much space that Universal needed to do dual releases. The DD tracks that came with those discs were typically 2.0. By going with half bitrate DTS, enough disc space opened up to accommodate both 5.1 DD and DTS tracks, negating the need to come out with two different versions of a title. I doubt you'll find any more full bitrate DTS movies because the studios don't like to put out dual versions of discs.

If you want to compare the full bitrate DTS tracks with DD, you should try one of the DTS titles that Warner released in 2002. They only put out a few DTS titles before discontinuing the releases. But, they are by far the best comparison sets because the DD and DTS tracks were transferred from the same master source at identical levels, which is not the norm. Typically, the DD and DTS tracks are prepared separately at different levels, which makes valid comparisons difficult at best.

The Warner titles that you can check out include the Lethal Weapon director's cut series, Twister, and Interview With The Vampire.

Keep in mind that Dolby Digital is one of the mandatory sound formats, while DTS is strictly an optional format.
    Nice link.

That sucks that most of these titles with the full DTS track aren't available anymore.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Look NO further than DreamWorks' now-out-of-print DTS ES version of THE HAUNTING for the most bone-rattling, wall-shaking LFE you will ever experience in home theater.

The last disc I sampled that came even remotely close was JURASSIC PARK III. But still NOTHING like The Haunting.....once those doors of Hill House begin slamming shut....hold on and make sure your sub isn't calibrated too hot.......

dts full..

i have T2 ultimate ed and thats it for full bitrate dts. how does this comepare to 754 DTS? The Haunting and U-571 are regarded as really great soundtracks at 754, so can you rreally tell much difference? BTY i read at dolby.com that hd dvd's will have 100% lossless soundtracks. what bitrate will this be?
    spl or die.

Hey Woochifer,

Do you have any idea where I can get my hands on a few of these titles?

I still think they should put this info on the back of the case. It would be nice information to know before you decided on your purchase. I found a DTS version of Twister at Columbia House but how in the hell do I know whats the bitrate?

i have T2 ultimate ed and thats it for full bitrate dts. how does this comepare to 754 DTS? The Haunting and U-571 are regarded as really great soundtracks at 754, so can you rreally tell much difference? BTY i read at dolby.com that hd dvd's will have 100% lossless soundtracks. what bitrate will this be?
    Actually, the T2 Ultimate Edition DVD uses a 754k 5.1 DTS ES soundtrack. The 1.5k version only comes with the Region 2 DVD (Japan and Europe).

No DVDs out there have both the full and half bitrate DTS tracks on the same disc, so there no way for any of us to verify the difference between the two. In my listenings with music, I will say that the 1.5k DTS tracks can sound quite impressive, and render a better overall sound than that same track played at CD audio resolution. Sir Terrence has mixed and encoded with both versions and said that the full bitrate version of DTS is more transparent to the printmaster than the half bitrate version. The half bitrate version is good, but the full bitrate version is where you supposedly can really hear the difference.

I believe that The Haunting DTS version actually uses a 1.5k DTS track. I'll double check this and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Do you have any idea where I can get my hands on a few of these titles?

I still think they should put this info on the back of the case. It would be nice information to know before you decided on your purchase. I found a DTS version of Twister at Columbia House but how in the hell do I know whats the bitrate?
    At this point, you'll need to look in some obscure corners of your local stores to find most of those full bitrate DTS discs. The DTS discs were never easy to find to begin with, and I believe that Universal's DTS titles are now out of print. Best Buy used to have a lot of the Universal DTS titles, but I haven't seen any of them lately. The DVD Planet store down in So Cal also used to stock tons of the DTS titles, but the last time I went there, they did not have too many in stock there either. Your best bet might be to go rummaging through the used DVD bins. Just last night, I picked up a used copy of The Haunting for a friend of mine.

Only one version of Twister has come out, so whatever you order from Columbia House should have the full bitrate DTS track on it. Just know that most DTS DVDs made since 2002 feature the half bitrate version. Only with music DVDs and DVD-A discs will you occasionally find the 1.5k DTS tracks on newer releases.

Keep in mind that prior to early-2002, all of the DTS tracks were prepared by DTS, since at that time they kept the DTS encoders in-house. Those tracks were transferred differently than the DD tracks, at different levels and often with higher levels in the surround and LFE channels. That's one possible reason why a lot of those DTS tracks might sound more impactful than the DD tracks.

Like I said before, the Warner DTS DVDs that came out in 2002 are probably the best comparison set you can get because the DD and DTS tracks were level matched and transferred simultaneously, with the highest bitrates used on both formats (448k DD and 1,509k DTS).

Haunting, The 1 DreamWorks USA 754 DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete Surround from the woochifer link, but who knows. i jsut got this sick on ebay for 7.00 including shipping, hopefully it is full bit since T2 wasnt. i want to have at least one. haha i found Interview with the vampire and Dances with Wolves on ebay the full bit versions, im still thinking about those,

LJ you might want to go this route, but its time consuming to find the actual ones, usually the pics have DTS digital audio written at the top
    spl or die.

I'm not gonna go out of my way. It would be nice to have but as long as I don't know what I'm missing I have nothing to complain about. I think to myself, how much better could it possibly get. I just got some DVD-A disc in the mail today and they sound so so good. Same for DVD soundtracks. You put on something like Gladitor, Master & Commander or LOTR and WOW, you think how much better could it possibly get.

Alright, no more wine for me tonight.

FYI, I just confirmed that The Haunting indeed uses a 754k DTS soundtrack. But, by no means does that detract from its status as a reference quality soundtrack. If your main interest is bass, then the half bitrate and full bitrate DTS will have no audible difference in that part of the frequency range.

At this point, you'll need to look in some obscure corners of your local stores to find most of those full bitrate DTS discs. The DTS discs were never easy to find to begin with, and I believe that Universal's DTS titles are now out of print. Best Buy used to have a lot of the Universal DTS titles, but I haven't seen any of them lately. The DVD Planet store down in So Cal also used to stock tons of the DTS titles, but the last time I went there, they did not have too many in stock there either. Your best bet might be to go rummaging through the used DVD bins. Just last night, I picked up a used copy of The Haunting for a friend of mine.

).
    I found a listing for DVD Planet in Huntington Beach and Huntington Park. Are you refering to the one in Hungtington Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I found a listing for DVD Planet in Huntington Beach and Huntington Park. Are you refering to the one in Hungtington Beach?
    The one in Huntington Beach is DVD Planet's Superstore. Supposedly, that store has the biggest DVD selection in the world. I've been there many times, and have bought a lot of hard-to-find items and collectibles at that store. They're particularly strong with genre pics, music DVDs, and collector's sets, and have great clearance specials. You can easily spend an entire afternoon rummaging through the shelves.

It started as Ken Crane's laserdisc store in the early-80s, and grew into a DVD store from there. The DVD Planet online operation started there, and they branched out from there. Ken Crane's sold the operation to another online vendor a few years ago, and they now operate the online operation from a separate warehouse, while keeping the retail store going.

Apparently, they've added a second location. No idea how it compares to the HB location.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/images/stores_map.jpg

Forum Regular
    I was auditioning subs the other week, and one local store was using MI2 as a demo. The scene with some tap dancing sort of thing going on. I've never actually watched the movie, but that scene had some loud, superfast bass in it.

Forum Regular

Cool

Dante's Peak Dd / Dts
    Blade 2 Dd Ex / Dtses
    ( An Old Fav ) Die Hard Dd
    Atlantis,the Lost Empire Dd / Dts
    Dinosaur Dd Dts
    The Hulk Dd Ex
    Daylight Dd / Dts
    Van Helsing Dd
    The Core Dd
    The Frighteners Dd
    The Rock Dd

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I was auditioning subs the other week, and one local store was using MI2 as a demo. The scene with some tap dancing sort of thing going on. I've never actually watched the movie, but that scene had some loud, superfast bass in it.
    Tap Dancing

Thread Information