Forum Regular

The Fly - 2 Disc Special Edition

Okay, I'm not a reviewer. I'm just gonna say that the newly released special edition of the 1986 version of The Fly is terrific! I've always been a fan of David Cronenberg's oozing remake of the classic sci-fi film. It's a smart, funny, scary, even romantic take on what happens when a brilliant scientist's experiment becomes a tragic nightmare...
    Screw it, I'll just give you the goods! it's got a commentary with Cronenberg (which I haven't listened to yet) with the feature on disc one. The picture looks great. DD 5.1 audio and...DTS! Yay DTS, Yay! The DD audio mix is pretty good, considering the type of film it is and given it's age. Not much different from the cheapie The Fly/Fly 2 double feature fox released a couple of years ago, which wasn't that bad. The DTS is a bit of an improvement (when is it not?). Disc two has an over 2 hour-long documentary with lots of behind-the- scenes footage and some great new interviews. Jeff Goldblum is a very strange, goofy guy - much like every character he's ever played! Geena Davis and John Getz give insightful input about the making of the film, as well as various members of the production and sfx team. No Cronenberg interview, however. The disc also features loads of deleted/extended scenes, some even disturbing, which could have taken the film in an even darker direction.
    If you're a fan of this modern classic, or even horror and sci-fi in general, this presentation will not disappoint. I won't even call this a double-dip. Fox has simply given this film the treatment it deserves.

My parents took me and my bro to the movies to see The Fly and Aliens when I was about 10. This was back when there were double features. I guess the world is too busy to spend 4 hrs at the theaters nowadays. Good stuff if your into ears and other body part slowly decaying and falling off and a good demo on how a fly eats. PARENTS, this is not a movie for a child. OK, now that I got that out, yeah it's a pretty good sci-fi flick. Even better late at night with that DTS track blastin. I'll have to check this one out.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

In my limited opinion

The 1986 version of The Fly can't hold a candle to the 1958 original with Vincent Price. Although, I have to admit that the 1986 remake was well done and I did enjoy it, it didn't give me the chills that the original did. Price was a master of the horror craft.

I met him once and it remains one of the highlights of my life. My only regret is that, while I did speak to him, I was just a young teen and too shy to ask for an autograph.

Thread Information