a very long engagement

Printable View

• 07-29-2005, 04:59 AM
    thorn411
    a very long engagement
    from the director of "Amélie" jean-pierre jeunet, comes this amazing movie.

the horrors of war in the 1 world war at Somme in france.
    an enjoyment to watch, for those who dislike the "Hollywood perspective" see this one.
    don´t know if it has been released in States overdubbed or with subtitles like i saw it
    here in Europe.

a must see for anyone who dislike the "old formula" and shallow minded market films.
    perhaps the best 1 world war movie since Kubrick made Paths of Glory.
  • 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
    Kam
    will check it out!
    i heard mixed things about this one but was such a huge fan of amelie i will give it a try as well. the visuals of this are supposed to be phenomenal. my friends that have seen it here (in the us) said it came with subtitles. i hope they dont dub it, but i've seen movies on starz or encore, and they dub a lot of their movies which, imo, sucks (as well as 4:3 everything rather than present the entire composition, another pet peeve of mine). i prefer subtitles than watch some strange ventrolloquist act. so will pick it up before it gets trashed on cable (or hope it doesn't get trashed).
    thanks for the post, looking for it now!
    peace
    k2
  • 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
    dean_martin
    It's great to hear about films from overseas! Thanks for the heads up on this one. I've had Amelie on my "to-see list" for a while now (since Da Worfster brought it up). Glad to know this particular filmmaker is still working.
  • 07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
    MomurdA
    Is there a gnome in this movie?
  • 08-01-2005, 06:22 AM
    Worf101
    Thanks for the heads up...
    I'll have to look for this film as soon as practicable!!! I love it when we get recommendations from differnet places, genres, countries, planets!!!! Ohhh goody goody.

Da Worfster :D
  • 08-01-2005, 06:51 AM
    Kam
    some french reccomendations for you worfster (and all) :)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    I'll have to look for this film as soon as practicable!!! I love it when we get recommendations from differnet places, genres, countries, planets!!!! Ohhh goody goody.

Da Worfster :D

hey worfster, cant remember if i reccommended this one to you, but if you liked Amelie and Audrey Tattou, DEFINITELY check out "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not". Its a french film with samuel lebihan (the lead from Brotherhood of the Wolf) and Audrey. It's a really interesting movie. It starts out a lil cheesy, and seems like a bad romantic movie, but just wait... it'll really give you a good kick in the nads as it unfolds. I really enjoyed it and was a lot of good fun seeing what you think you know tossed around. Another great french comedy is called The Closet, about a guy who is about to lose his job but then doesn't when his boss thinks he's gay and so can't fire him for fear of repurcussions. It's got a nice schlocky heartwarming message throughout, but its good fun, and Gerard Depardieu plays the jackass boss and he was easy to hate in it. ALSO, my final reccomendation is another hidden gem called A Pure Formality with Depardiue and Polanski (acting in it). It's kinda slow, but i thoroughly enjoyed it, and it has an interesting concept running throughout. (Although i think we discussed this one before on a thread a while ago, but... my memory ain't what it used to be, filled with shakespeare monologues now, not much room in there for anything else.)

peace
    k2